Another Frame rust topic, worse than others?

MrPink

Well... there is more and more going wrong with this pathfinder every day. Monday the exhaust manifolds both either cracked or i have broken studs, and the tail pipe fell off, the exhaust will need to be replaced from the manifolds back :( so that's even more money i dont have. I did however get my steel to "patch" my frame although i am not to psych'd to get going on it since my dad has been using my truck everyday leaving me with the pathfinder as my only vehicle now. so as its starting to look more and more like im soon to be stuck between a rock and a hard place. i may soon be losing my vehicle and possibly my job because of it. due to the amounting things that keep going wrong.

List of major things wrong:

Needs shocks(210k on the orig shocks)-$240(on the high side)

Needs Ball joints(upper and lower)-$200(on the high side)

Needs Frame fixed-$100-$600( depends on who i have do it

Needs Exhaust replaced,as well as manifold studs/bolts(manifolds back)-$700(on the high side)

Thats $1700 or so into this Pathfinder, that i do not have nor do i make that in a month. i make $600 or so a month and have bills to pay, which leaves me with maybe $100 for 2 weeks for gas and food.

So i am in a conundrum. Scrap the pathfinder and buy another one, or Scrap the pathfinder and buy something else both of which will cost me more money than i have and can borrow(crap credit) and i have no family that will help me that i know of.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You can do the shocks, bjs, and manifolds yourself if you are mechanically inclined. Actually shocks and ball joints are really easy.

If you order the parts from rock auto you can get them cheap too as they have great prices and frequent sales. www.rockauto.com

You can do the shocks, bjs, and manifolds yourself if you are mechanically inclined. Actually shocks and ball joints are really easy.

If you order the parts from rock auto you can get them cheap too as they have great prices and frequent sales. www.rockauto.com

and I think there's a NPORA discount code around here! :aok:

i work too much and i am mechanicly inclined enough to do that but thats price for parts not labor. I am more or less worried that the motor will stop running due to lack of back pressure, i have exhaust leaks everywhere.

i just went out and looked at my exhaust its just the flange bolts @ the y pipe to exhaust, that are broken and the gaskets missing, and i dont think the frame will take me that long to fix(a weekend or so). and i can do the shocks at a later date,im going to buy the cheapo lifetime warranty shocks for the time being. the ball joints are not bad yet just more or less a preventative maintenance thing.

Edited by MrPink

Ok, I understand you have limited options. Sounds like you don't have much choice right now, and fixing this one enough to be useable may give you the opportunity to sell it later.

List of major things wrong:

Needs shocks(210k on the orig shocks)-$240(on the high side)

Needs Ball joints(upper and lower)-$200(on the high side)

Needs Frame fixed-$100-$600( depends on who i have do it

Needs Exhaust replaced,as well as manifold studs/bolts(manifolds back)-$700(on the high side)

Like you said, shocks can wait.

Like you said, BJs are not critical.

Frame, you think you can handle and have some of the stuff you need. Start sourcing the other stuff. Hell, go to welding shops and beg for scraps if you have to.

Exhaust: I happen to have virtually an entire stock exhaust system (minus cat) sitting here in excellent condition, and some 12.9 grade bolts for the manifolds as well.

I'd like something for the parts but nothing rediculous. Want a photo of it all and talk about it?? Pm me... ;)

B

I stick to my initial thoughts. Find a wrecked Pathy at a yard or on Craigslist with a Pooched tranny thats frame is in better shape then your own.... Which shouldn't be too hard really. You can find all kinds for like 500 obo all the time. Right there you have shocks, frame, another engine, exhaust and countless other pieces you can sell off to others to make some of that 500 back.

I stick to my initial thoughts. Find a wrecked Pathy at a yard or on Craigslist with a Pooched tranny thats frame is in better shape then your own.... Which shouldn't be too hard really. You can find all kinds for like 500 obo all the time. Right there you have shocks, frame, another engine, exhaust and countless other pieces you can sell off to others to make some of that 500 back.

i did find one with a borked trans but they want $1000 for it because its "rust free"

Replace the manifolds with studs, it's much safer that way. Running bolts through an aluminum head with as much torque that needs to be applied to the manifolds with the heating and cooling isn't that great of an idea. It would be different if the heads were cast iron.

I'll bet you if you go there and pop your fingers in the holes by the rear tire and feel around it will feel like sponge cake. Tell them to knock the price down 100-200 cause they can't claim rust free if its rusting from the inside out. Then with whatever you can part out, you'd still only be in hole anywhere from 300-500ish. You can easily make 300 bucks on parting out a pathy.

Replace the manifolds with studs, it's much safer that way. Running bolts through an aluminum head with as much torque that needs to be applied to the manifolds with the heating and cooling isn't that great of an idea. It would be different if the heads were cast iron.

And what is the torque for the manifolds?? 14 ft/lbs IIRC?? That is too much torque for M8 bolts?? 14 ft/lbs on a stud is different than 14 ft/lbs on a bolt? I'm not following you... :shrug:

B

I think I have some Pro Comp shocks that I removed when I went with the Ranchos. I will give you a real good price if/when you decide to get the body lift, much less than cheapo Monroes or something. PM me if you're interested.

well i guess this can be locked for now :( im not keeping her. the passenger side lower lateral link mount "tore" from the frame 1/2" and pushed the axle back 1/2" on that side. so i am picking up an econo box car 2000 dodge neon for in trade for the Pathfinder. the guy said he still wanted it broken frame and all so i guess thats a cool thing. the neon is beat cosmeticly but i am awesome at body work and could probably knock 90% of it out in a day. there is 0 rust on it its just beat body wise. the motor and trans are awesome. I do vow this that i will own another pathfinder from the south that has absolutely 0 rust on the frame. it would also have to be a 93+ to get the kick ass interior.

Edited by MrPink

Sorry to hear you're letting it go but it might be the right decision. Its always more satisfying working on a vehicle to improve it with mods and things than laboring just to get it running. Don't be a stranger here and keep checking craigslist and stuff for a good low-cost Pathfinder, they pop up a lot.

well i guess this can be locked for now :( im not keeping her. the passenger side lower lateral link mount "tore" from the frame 1/2" and pushed the axle back 1/2" on that side. so i am picking up an econo box car 2000 dodge neon for in trade for the Pathfinder. the guy said he still wanted it broken frame and all so i guess thats a cool thing. the neon is beat cosmeticly but i am awesome at body work and could probably knock 90% of it out in a day. there is 0 rust on it its just beat body wise. the motor and trans are awesome. I do vow this that i will own another pathfinder from the south that has absolutely 0 rust on the frame. it would also have to be a 93+ to get the kick ass interior.

Like JJ said... Look at the bright side, someone is going to fix the pathy (just not for you. You did point him to NPORA, right?), you get some wheels to keep life going and can buy a better Pathy down the road. Just remember, there may be some good ones to the south, but out here in the west they are like rust free cockroaches... ;)

B

The states get all the best cockroaches :(

we dont even get REAL cockroaches here in canada >_>

Dear Southern and Western United States:

Please send all your unwanted, rust free Nissan cockroaches East and North. Thank you.

With Love,

Manifesto xD

Edited by Manifesto