Rear Roof Speakers

Okay so, I recently purchased a '94 SE and it has the rear roof components. How is it, making 6x9's fit in there? Surely it can't be too difficult...? Does anyone have some pictures of their setup and how they went about doing this?

Also, removal of the headliner seems to be a must for this. I take it all trim and side panels that meet the headliner need to be removes? Seatbelt bolts etc? Is it fairly easy and what kind of timeframe should I expect? Any tricks?

Thanks!

Okay so, I recently purchased a '94 SE and it has the rear roof components. How is it, making 6x9's fit in there? Surely it can't be too difficult...? Does anyone have some pictures of their setup and how they went about doing this?

Also, removal of the headliner seems to be a must for this. I take it all trim and side panels that meet the headliner need to be removes? Seatbelt bolts etc? Is it fairly easy and what kind of timeframe should I expect? Any tricks?

Thanks!

IMG_9049.jpg

IMG_9033.jpg

No need to remove hood lining, I made some spacers for my 6x9's

They are too deep to fit in the original space, unless you can get some low profile ones.

Edited by kiwipete

Whoever had my truck before I got it, already put em in. They fit up in the stock hole just fine. Now they dont have the clearance issues kiwipete has, but I am sure they are just cheapo speakers.

(Mine, not yours Kiwi!)

Did you build that drawer man? I need one...thats nice...

As many of you all likely know, 5x7 is the size of the door(94+) and the rear roof bar. On the roof bar, you may need to trim the sheet metal for the speaker hole so speakers fit properly. To get to the speaker, you just need to gently pry off the cover over the speaker on the ceiling with a panel tool. The depth is the real issue to make sure you have space so the stock cover fits over it. I know everyone is hunting for bass in these trucks, but I'd go with a sub you(or someone else!) can easily remove when you need cargo space or to sell the truck. Hacking up your interior to put 6x9s in these trucks won't yield the result you desire, and will affect your resale, unless you do a really clean install. Remove the speaker and measure the depth to figure out what will fit with just minor trimming. Crutchfield has the top-mount depth for most speakers, and you can find what fits, regardless of what their recommendations are. Although I have sony xplod's in my rig currently, I have put Polk Db series in my truck, and I'd put them in my pathy if I had to do it over again. You need to measure because I don't remember the depth. The Polk's are even marine rated, so if you decide to go for the hose-cleanable interior, you are set there.

Whoever had my truck before I got it, already put em in. They fit up in the stock hole just fine. Now they dont have the clearance issues kiwipete has, but I am sure they are just cheapo speakers.

(Mine, not yours Kiwi!)

Did you build that drawer man? I need one...thats nice...

Yep, I custom made the drawers. I am looking at modifying them soon and placing the power amp on the hood lining between the speakers. That will give me more storage on the right hand side where the EPIRB and fire extinguisher is as that box part hides the amp at present.

I'll just make a nice MDF spacer that will mount onto the sheet metal that I can mount my 6x9's to. I'm not going for bass, I'm going for clean sound, and the Infinity Reference 6x9's were the best that I heard. I'll post pics of the install.

I like your drawer man, I am going to have to do that to hide some of my gear...nice!

Thanks, I used sliding rails that allow the rear of the drawer to come out almost flush with the opening, saves digging in the back of the drawer to find stuff.

As many of you all likely know, 5x7 is the size of the door(94+) and the rear roof bar. On the roof bar, you may need to trim the sheet metal for the speaker hole so speakers fit properly. To get to the speaker, you just need to gently pry off the cover over the speaker on the ceiling with a panel tool. The depth is the real issue to make sure you have space so the stock cover fits over it. I know everyone is hunting for bass in these trucks, but I'd go with a sub you(or someone else!) can easily remove when you need cargo space or to sell the truck. Hacking up your interior to put 6x9s in these trucks won't yield the result you desire, and will affect your resale, unless you do a really clean install. Remove the speaker and measure the depth to figure out what will fit with just minor trimming. Crutchfield has the top-mount depth for most speakers, and you can find what fits, regardless of what their recommendations are. Although I have sony xplod's in my rig currently, I have put Polk Db series in my truck, and I'd put them in my pathy if I had to do it over again. You need to measure because I don't remember the depth. The Polk's are even marine rated, so if you decide to go for the hose-cleanable interior, you are set there.

mines a 93 and it has the ceiling speakers... :blush02:

Edited by kyleky07

Where did you get the hardware? A cabinet shop? What kind of material did you use, ply wood?

It is MDF, covered in an industrial foam backed carpet that's glued and stapled to the timber. All timber was varnished first to waterproof it. Sliders and hardware was bought at a local hardware store. it is bolted through the floor where the factory tie downs were. The tie downs are transferred to the out sides of the drawers.

mines a 93 and it has the ceiling speakers... :blush02:

True, but the speakers in the door in pre-94s are round (5.25"?) I've never owned a square dash pathfinder, so I don't know the dimension of the doors, but I always thought the ceiling speakers were 5x7s. Anyone?

True, but the speakers in the door in pre-94s are round (5.25"?) I've never owned a square dash pathfinder, so I don't know the dimension of the doors, but I always thought the ceiling speakers were 5x7s. Anyone?

You are correct with both speaker sizes.

• 4 months later...

If the front doors of the pathfinders use a 5 x 7" speaker, and I know the speaker attaches to that white "adapter", can a 6 1/2 slim speaker fit without the white adapter? The doors can't be different than the older hardbody doors, I always ran 6.5's in my 87 hardbdody, I think I used a spacer to limit the depth but they still fit fine. I'm looking to put a stereo in my 94 and need front speakers as well as everything else.

If you want, there's a junkyard about 30 miles south of me that last time I was there, they had a pathfinder with nice looking black plastic spacers on the rear roof speakers, the speakers were gone, but I could tell it was there for clearance issues; I could grab em if you still have an issue.

thanks for the offer, I have a set of 6.5" speakers that were in my Sentra when I bought it, they are crap but I think I may pull a door panel on my PF to see if they will fit. I got a gift card for Best Buy yesterday (for my B-day 11-24) and I usually never even go into Best buy but figured I might be able to pick up a pair of speakers.

Lucidpathy91 and I may be hitting the junkyards this Saturday so I will keep my eyes open, thanks again for offering.

Edited by ahardb0dy

• 6 months later...

IMG_9049.jpg

IMG_9033.jpg

No need to remove hood lining, I made some spacers for my 6x9's

They are too deep to fit in the original space, unless you can get some low profile ones.

How did you make those spacer?! Or where can I buy some I have the same problem with my 6.5 alpine sps 600 speakers