quick exaust questions?

My Cali Pathy Does not have that and never did.

More than likely the PO Cut the Mid Pipe and welded one on thinking It would help pass emissions.

I Saw a ford Van With 5 (yes FIVE) Cats on a single pipe exhuast...

ppl do crazy stuff.

Yep, 2 cats...just got off work...will get you some pics in the AM. Hell, I will go take some right now...let me put some pants on....

Ok, step one, please do not respond to me without pants on. That's just a little weird... :tongue:

Ok, I understand the precat/cat thing. Both of my trucks have it. Here is the key though, neither of my trucks are Cali models. The first one was from Rustchester, NY and the latest was from Pencilneckylvania. The whole point to the precat is that it heats up to operating temperature much faster than the main cat so it reduces emissions much quicker. My theory is that this is specifically a cold weather application, hence why Adam has them on all his fleet since he lives up on the frozen tundra. Cali doesn't really need them because 1/2 the time my cat is damn near at operating temperature when it is parked and motor cold... :D

B

I agree with B. We have a local Nissan/Datsun shop owned by an old guy and we were talking one day, for literally hours, and that came up somehow. That's exactly what he said that's why the pre-cats were put on, for cold weather emissions. He also said that they aren't needed to pass emissions at all, only to speed up the process.

Hey guys, I was cruising the '94 FSM trying to figure out where all my vacuum lines went and I found on page:

EF & EC 6 (Engine and Emission Control Overall System)

there's a big diagram of everything showing the standard three way cat

but then in front of that cat it shows another one labelled:

"Warm up Three-way catalyst (For California model)"

O.o

no idea if mine had that setup

all my cat's were cut out before I bought it xD

Edited by Manifesto

My 93's a California Path and I've got all the original paperwork and bill of sale from Concord Nissan in Concord CA. It does not have the pre cat and never did. I'm thinking it's more of a cold weather thing like has been mentioned.

My stock 200k half worn out muffler combined with a new magnaflow free-flow cat gives me a sound I'm happy with on the cheap. If I had a blindfold on standing outside the truck idling, or just pulling away from a stop, it sounds more like my Dad's 350 Yukon than a v-6.