.....my pathy is startin to blow blue smoke.....

Kyle94

was leavin my house yesterday and noticed it had blue smoke coming out of the tail pipe... was told it could possibly be the valve guides.... it did it only for the first few mins after start-up.... or some "rings" in the engine is the other option.... :shrug::ohno01:

USUALLY, bad rings will make it smoke all the time, and bad valve seals will make it blow blue on a cold start, or after idling for a little bit and then taking off.

ok, so its most likely the valve seals since i didnt really notice it smoke when i let it sit for a few to talk on the phone (with it running) and took. its not smoking majorly....

you can tell if the intake or exhaust ones are the problem by differentiating whether it blows stronger blue on accelleration or decelleration but... it's kind-of a moot point since you should replace them all if you go in there.

If your rings are going it will smoke when the engine is under load like when you hammer down on the throttle. When the valve guides get worn oil leaks down the valve stem when the engine is off and settles on the back of the valve or drips on the piston. It will smoke a little when you start it, and when they get really bad it will smoke on deceleration when the intake vacuum is highest.

Most people will tell you that a little smoke when you start it is no big deal. When the engine is hot and this oil leaks down and settles on the back of the hot valve it can harden if the engine is allowed to cool. The more build up you get on the back of your intake valve slowly blocks the air flow going into your cylinder and will kill your fuel mileage and power.

If you change the seals right when you notice it you can do it without removing the heads by airing up the cylinder and using a special spring compressor. If you let it progress you will have to remove the heads and do a total rebuild on the heads.

James

You should also know, that on my 98 malibu my 8 year old neighbor ran up to me one day (after backing the car outta the garage to move things around) to tell me that there was blue smoke coming out of the tailpipe.

That was the one and only time I EVER saw blue, and it never came back...So does it keep doing it? or no?

3 things cause oil smoke from the tailpipe...rings, valves, or the PCV valve being clogged. If it only smokes on start up I'm voting for bad valve seals. PCV valve would only blow smoke at high RPMs when the pressure in the crank case gets too high and forces oil past the piston rings. Piston rings would blow smoke all the time.

3 things cause oil smoke from the tailpipe...rings, valves, or the PCV valve being clogged. If it only smokes on start up I'm voting for bad valve seals. PCV valve would only blow smoke at high RPMs when the pressure in the crank case gets too high and forces oil past the piston rings. Piston rings would blow smoke all the time.

im goin with bad valve seals too...

• 2 weeks later...

chevy?!??!?! its by far a chevy, chevys break down on a regular basis... :wtf::hide:

Hey now!! Don't go raggin on chevys! Chevy makes some good vehicles, the 90 model silverado with 282,000 miles that I traded for my first titan gave me less problems than that first titan. Their motors were bad for valve seal leaks though. And the 70s model pickups were rust buckets, and the 80s models couldn't hold there paint, but the ones I had were dependable and never left me on the road unlike the ford I had.

James

Hey now!! Don't go raggin on chevys! Chevy makes some good vehicles, the 90 model silverado with 282,000 miles that I traded for my first titan gave me less problems than that first titan. Their motors were bad for valve seal leaks though. And the 70s model pickups were rust buckets, and the 80s models couldn't hold there paint, but the ones I had were dependable and never left me on the road unlike the ford I had.

James

the older ones are good, but my step dads 2003 S10 is POS. it has broken down so many times i lost count... :shiftyeyes:

lol i know, now its the "Colorado"....

The Colorado might have replaced the s10 but it is built on a different chase. Gm makes good engines and have for a long time. The newer gen 3 engines hold up unbelievably well in durability test. I know this because i am involved with testing GM engines for marine and industrial use.

I have personally watched a LS3 gem 3 GM engine stay at 6000 RPM for 4 hours straight with significant load and live through it. Most engines give up by the 2nd or 3rd hour of this test.

But after stating all that I drive a Dodge ram, and a Nissan pathfinder lol. I have to say I don't like most of the new trucks though as they have the same problem as a pathfinder, If you really want to use them hard offroad a sas is required to get ride of the IFS junk.