Is my air box supposed to have hole in it?

Kyle94

i took my air filter out to check it last night and it was fine. but i noticed there was holes on the bottom half of the ar box... :scratchhead: it looks as though they were drilled, but not completly sure and why some one would do that? :blink:

Previous owner was prolly a backyard engineer and figured the airbox was too restrictive. I found the same thing on my Jetta. The fool drilled holes that totally bypassed the filter. I duct taped them shut and it didn't affect my lap times to the grocery store and back whatsoever.

Previous owner was prolly a backyard engineer and figured the airbox was too restrictive. I found the same thing on my Jetta. The fool drilled holes that totally bypassed the filter. I duct taped them shut and it didn't affect my lap times to the grocery store and back whatsoever.

Wow, so what does it do then? Lower the gas mileage? Ima go tape em shut now...

Weight reduction! That's one of the benifits of speed holes!

if that's the reason, just start drilling holes in the body!! Think of the better MPG with all that weight removed !!

Weight reduction! That's one of the benifits of speed holes!

Ha, yeah whole 2oz LOL. and grimgreg, I can see the bottom so I guess I'm missing that pad then. I taped the wholes shut via the outside of the box. There was three on the bottom, three on the each side and one of the hinges was cracked so there was a lot of air runnin through... Runs different now... Kinda ruffish...

I have an air box just lying here in the shed...unless you are wanting to go something other than factory that is...

nah, i dont plan on really doin any performance things to it.. maybe a lift later on... and a grill guard and front skid plate.... hopefully paint it a different color some time after fixin the body damage.... *dreams about what it would look like....* :sleeping:

if that's the reason, just start drilling holes in the body!! Think of the better MPG with all that weight removed !!

And you don't have to worry about the frame it's already self lightening. Northern Pathfinders weigh less than sunbelt Pathfinders.

Ha, yeah whole 2oz LOL. and grimgreg, I can see the bottom so I guess I'm missing that pad then. I taped the wholes shut via the outside of the box. There was three on the bottom, three on the each side and one of the hinges was cracked so there was a lot of air runnin through... Runs different now... Kinda ruffish...

IMO It prolly learned the airflow differances in the modified box and you went and sealed it up so its re-learning.

PS could your sig pic be a little smaller please?

IMO It prolly learned the airflow differances in the modified box and you went and sealed it up so its re-learning.

PS could your sig pic be a little smaller please?

Oh. They learn do they? Lol.

PS I've been meaing to reduce the size of the sig pic, just haven't had the time to sit down and figure out how to do it. Also my profile pic doesn't show up in posts.. But it does at the top of the page...

Oh. They learn do they? Lol.

by "learn" I mean that when there is a change in how much air is allowed into the engine the maf picks up that differance and allows more fuel in. It doesn't get the fuel ratio perfect right away (actually these engines never get perfect 14.7:1) but it starts creating new air-fuel maps to respond to every thing you go when diving and all this gets checked by the o2 sensor when you reach a high enough rpm.

so yes, they are a "learning" type ECU.

Why it is good to disconnect the battery overnight after a mod, it kills the ECU memory so it resets to "learn mode". Not resetting the ECU it tries to run at the settings it had peviously learned and will take a little longer to adjust and relearn.

Why it is good to disconnect the battery overnight after a mod, it kills the ECU memory so it resets to "learn mode". Not resetting the ECU it tries to run at the settings it had peviously learned and will take a little longer to adjust and relearn.

negative and positive or just one or the other?

negative and positive or just one or the other?

negative, always the negative first. then exesess engergy(capacators, windings etc) have nothing to jump to.

by "learn" I mean that when there is a change in how much air is allowed into the engine the maf picks up that differance and allows more fuel in. It doesn't get the fuel ratio perfect right away (actually these engines never get perfect 14.7:1) but it starts creating new air-fuel maps to respond to every thing you go when diving and all this gets checked by the o2 sensor when you reach a high enough rpm.

so yes, they are a "learning" type ECU.

And they're learning at the same rate your 1989 x386 computer running dos 5.0 and maybe Windows 3.1 or OS2 could learn. Which means it might take a while.....

And they're learning at the same rate your 1989 x386 computer running dos 5.0 and maybe Windows 3.1 or OS2 could learn. Which means it might take a while.....

i disconnected the negative last night so it should be good... ran better when i started it this morning...