Tranny lite on dash 3 speed

1987Bama

I am looking at purchasing a really nice 1987 Pathfinder 4x4.It has the 3 speed automatic.Owner states the vehicle runs and drives great with no poblems.But tklls me the tranny indicator light is on on the dash board and it is normal.If it goes off,means the transmision is to hot.

Is the correct?The vehicle is 3 hours away and before I waste my time,I would like to have more info on this light and the 3 speed transmission.Is this tranny better or worse than th 4 speed automatic

thanks alot guys.

as you can tell,this will be my first pathfinder

The early automatics (at least the one in my 87) did not have over drive, with the 4.62 gears that my 87 Hardbody had and with the stock 31's the engine would rev around 4000 RPM at 60 MPH, so consider that, I had 35's on my trucks so it reved high all the time, no OD was a bitch. Oh, My tranny lasted 130K miles before the first rebuild than I had it rebuilt about every 2 years after that, it's expensive to have rebuilt too around $2k each time !!

I don't recall ever seeing a tranny light that came on when it got hot and I used to run in deep soft sand all the time on the beach back home, after the first rebuild the trans shop did install a external tranny cooler too.

Edited by ahardb0dy

thanks guys.

he is telling me the light is on all the time and would only go off if it ever got hot...which he says its never went off so it hasn't got to hot.

i kinda thought he had that backwards anyway.

and it has a new set of 31's on it so i am not sur i want to be driving 60mph and rev'ing 4k.wow.

hey says its been on for a very long time.said it will flash occasionally but stay on.he drives it about 150 miles a week and some slight ofroading last 3 months.

havnt thought About it being a past code.he was willing to drive it 4 hrs to meet me for a trade and i live 2 hrs away from the meeting spot

FYI 3000-4000 rpm when cruising is fine, that is the power band. This engine wants to rev high to stay powerful and it has no adverse effect on anything.

wow.That seems high and would cause for bad gas mileage.

More concerned over this tranny lite