Adjustable Cam Gears

Tungsten

well if you put a small cut down the upper timing cover you can remove each half easliy and quickly. prolly just leave it advanced it for offroading and daily driving and retard it if you are going on any roadtirps or long freeway drives for a while. Or a qick ajust timing cover could be designed with round windows magnetically attached for really quick access.

They are part of my next build plan.

Those are cool and all, but do you honestly want to be tearing apart your timing covers every time you want to adjust them?

I know I don't.

mo you have to do what the Honda guys do and leave the cover off

well if you put a small cut down the upper timing cover you can remove each half easliy and quickly. prolly just leave it advanced it for offroading and daily driving and retard it if you are going on any roadtirps or long freeway drives for a while. Or a qick ajust timing cover could be designed with round windows magnetically attached for really quick access.

They are part of my next build plan.

youd still have to take off accessory belts and the AC dampner to get to them each time.

mo you have to do what the Honda guys do and leave the cover off

lol, that sounds like inviting it to break.

youd still have to take off accessory belts and the AC dampner to get to them each time.

I spent allota time thinking about this, a Magnetic cover would slide off and the AC idler bracket with the outboard side shaved back and re-enforced with an L angle from the top will give you all the room you need. You don't need to get arround the whole gear just the bolts that positon its angle.

Edited by MY1PATH

I spent allota time thinking about this, a Magnetic cover would slide off and the AC idler bracket with the outboard side shaved back and re-enforced with an L angle from the top will give you all the room you need. You don't need to get arround the whole gear just the bolts that positon its angle.

well I look forward to you testing that for everyone ;) as those adjustable ones sure are spiffy!

I never said it was "right" just what the Honda guys do

LOL - touche!

L&P were making adjustable timing gears back in the day. Not sure if they ever sold any, but Lee's Pathy had them.

Was there any real gain from his experience?

You could gain from any engine by degreeing the cams. It is impossible for a cam to line up exactly as it was designed on every engine, especially with timing belts. Usually they are close enough but to get the maximum efficiency out of your cams you would need to degree them.

http://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS/555/81621/10002/-1

A kit like this and some eccentrics is usually how the race engine builders do it. These adjustable pulleys would do some good but you would need to set them with a degree wheel to get the most accurate results. On our trucks with a belt that will stretch the gain really wouldn't be worth it unless your engine had alot of mod with a really high lift cam. This is more for racing than a 4x4 that needs more torque.

James

if u go to z31performance.com (z31 300zx performance page) you can find all kinds of information on how to make the na vg30 run better and have more performance. I am on there alot for my z and there is a guy on there that takes the stock cam gear and makes them adjustable and sells them for like 80 bucks+ shipping so thats a cheap way to go.