Found My Exhaust Leak

Toby

that doesn't look like it would have been hard to find

well it was a small leak. And I imagine there was originally some kind of coupler there that rusted off. Then after visiting the woman while she was at school it got super loud. Finally got the chance to check it out (i parked it after I got back). and found that pleasant gap. I'm gonna see if I can get someone to weld it. it's a pain. I like the truck but thus far it's given me more problems than anything else.

If it wasn't for the 4WD and fact I love the looks of it I'd sell it. Sucks having nothing but RWD cars/trucks

I don't remember my stock exhaust having any couplers on it...And it looks like that was cut or something. Maybe someone tried to steal your cat?

At the Y-Pipe? Doubtful. It's right under the transmission. The cat is still there. There's the remains of like a coupler on there. i dunno what the deal is. Either way I just gotta get it fixed quickly for emissions next month. And take it to Nissan to get this damn VSS replaced.

Ive got broken stud issues on my cat...leaks like crazy. I feel your pain!

Anyone know what the first little cat looking unit is before the actual cat is?

Is it a pre muffler or another some sort of cat?

It's basically a baby cat. The point is that it gets hot and up to operating conditions much faster than the full sized cat so you reduce emmisions when the engine is cold or during warm up. Took me a while to get that answered...

B

Got it fixed AND my codes read.

14 codes. Random codes too. says I have a leaky fuel injector, bad crank sensor, etc etc. Which I find odd because if stuff like that was bad you'd think it wouldn't start. I know the ranger I sold needed a crank sensor and wouldn't start until I replaced the sensor.

So needless to say I got no clue why it's throwing those codes. The only three that DID make sense were an O2 sensor, Exhaust Temp. Sensor, and my VSS.

Ranger is a different ballpak than a Nissan...

Did they clear the codes along with read them? One thing reading whierd will knock a bunch of ither crap out of whacktrying to compensate the bad reading... I've seen that quite a fiew times on a bunch of different stuff.

Ranger is a different ballpak than a Nissan...

Did they clear the codes along with read them? One thing reading whierd will knock a bunch of ither crap out of whacktrying to compensate the bad reading... I've seen that quite a fiew times on a bunch of different stuff.

I figure some stuff as catastrophic as a crank sensor and a fuel leak would be enough to give the truck problems starting. But it starts just fine. Which is why I think it threw a bunch of other codes cause I kinda have been driving without a speedo for the past few months. Or since I got it. Not to mention the exhaust leak threw up codes for stuff.

And they cleared them. I'm gonna get the VSS replaced by Nissan and then have the codes read again.

Not to mention the exhaust leak threw up codes for stuff.

Thats what I was getting at... The exhasut leak causign an o2 sensor code making a bunch of other crap try to balance that out making them read wheird.

From my experience with OBD I and II often times one problem (even if it is minor) will cause the ECM to throw a slew of other codes. One general rule of thumb with OBD II vics is if the ECM is throwing 5 codes or more, that it is probably a ECM issue. The OBD I system is different, but just clearing the codes will at least get your factory fuel curves back...until the CEL comes back on...at which point you re check them and hopefully have only 1 or 2 codes.

Wow, I was rambling...again.

From my experience with OBD I and II often times one problem (even if it is minor) will cause the ECM to throw a slew of other codes. One general rule of thumb with OBD II vics is if the ECM is throwing 5 codes or more, that it is probably a ECM issue. The OBD I system is different, but just clearing the codes will at least get your factory fuel curves back...until the CEL comes back on...at which point you re check them and hopefully have only 1 or 2 codes.

Wow, I was rambling...again.

I haven't gotten it checked again but it's back on. I know it's the VSS. but an 02 Sensor might be in there as well.

I'll get nissan to check it whenever I take it in for the VSS.