Gl-4

Kyle94

I have read many things about how my 93 has to have gl4 in the transmission. But regular 80-90 oil is cheaper and easie to find? Would it be okay to go with 75- what ever, or 80-90, or do I really need to get gl4????

2 very important things before I explain anything.

1) your transmission fluid may stay in there for 2 years or more, so unlike running cheap motor oil you actually have to rely on it for that long

2) a new transmisson may run you over $2,500. a rebuild may cost close to the same and used may be cheaper but whatever you do tack on another 8-12+ hours for the combined effort of supporting the vehicle and removing the t-bars to get the tranny swapped.(thats allot of labor if your paying for it.)

now for the explaination,

GL4 is a specifactaion for the contents of the oil. this spec does not allow for various phosphours that can harm our brass/bronze parts inside our transmissions(cyncros) GL5 does not place a limit on these elements so it may or may not contain them but after reading the above, do you really want to take the chance?

think about it this way, lactaid milk is still milk but they screen for the lactose that harms those who are intolerant. do you really wanna give them regular milk just because its cheaper? If you said yes I'm never coming over for a glass of milk and niether will my nissan.

what I do... 2 gallons of MT90 from redline oil website. (it is 75w90 GL4 made specific for our type transmissions) you should be like $110 or maybe 120 shipped... (well worth it esp in cold climates it shifts soooo smoooth)

I think its 5.3 qt in the transmission and you can put another 2.3 qt in the t-case which leaves you with about 0.4qt left over when you are done.

Edited by MY1PATH

1) your transmission fluid may stay in there for 2 years or more, so unlike running cheap motor oil you actually have to rely on it for that long

2) a new transmisson may run you over $2,500. a rebuild may cost close to the same and used may be cheaper but whatever you do tack on another 8-12+ hours for the combined effort of supporting the vehicle and removing the t-bars to get the tranny swapped.(thats allot of labor if your paying for it.)

GL4 is a specifactaion for the contents of the oil. this spec does not allow for various phosphours that can harm our brass/bronze parts inside our transmissions(cyncros) GL5 does not place a limit on these elements so it may or may not contain them but after reading the above, do you really want to take the chance?

think about it this way, lactaid milk is still milk but they screen for the lactose that harms those who are intolerant. do you really wanna give them regular milk just because its cheaper? If you said yes I'm never coming over for a glass of milk and niether will my nissan.

what I do... 2 gallons of MT90 from redline oil website. (it is 75w90 GL4 made specific for our type transmissions) you should be like $110 or maybe 120 shipped... (well worth it esp in cold climates it shifts soooo smoooth)

I think its 5.3 qt in the transmission and you can put another 2.3 qt in the t-case which leaves you with about 0.4qt left over when you are done.

I think we have a store in town that sells redline stuff. So maybe it won't be so expensive, beins I won't have to have it shipped.... Right?

I think we have a store in town that sells redline stuff. So maybe it won't be so expensive, beins I won't have to have it shipped.... Right?

It was about $55 a gallon but it seems it has gone down to $49.95.

shipping really isn't so bad and they send it out right away.

It was about $55 a gallon but it seems it has gone down to $49.95.

shipping really isn't so bad and they send it out right away.

The Book recommends i use API GL-4 75-90w....... :)

GL4 is getting harder and harder to find. Nissan doesn't even carry it anymore. I don't know why because alot of their vehicles used it into the 90's. and the GL5 has detergents that eat the synchros in the transmissions.

The Book recommends i use API GL-4 75-90w....... smile.gif

UM... thats EXACLY what Redline MT90 is. shotts.gifRED Line MT-90 75W90 GL-4 Gear Oil

Hece my whole drunken right oil rant on post #2

BTW I read this the next day,rolling.gif

and its so true lol

Edited by MY1PATH

On the label on GL-5 does it say in the ingredients what it contains or anything? Maybe if i read i can determine whats in them that i shouldnt use... and can i use GL4- GL-5 Rated oil???

On the label on GL-5 does it say in the ingredients what it contains or anything? Maybe if i read i can determine whats in them that i shouldnt use... and can i use GL4- GL-5 Rated oil???

It will not list on the label.

Yes, you can use a dual spec oil since it still meets the requirements of GL-4.

I belive royal purple is dual spec.

In addition to redline; sta-lube and amsoil also make a GL-4 75w90...

It will not list on the label.

Yes, you can use a dual spec oil since it still meets the requirements of GL-4.

I belive royal purple is dual spec.

In addition to redline; sta-lube and amsoil also make a GL-4 75w90...

Bought Some Sta-Lube, 80-90 or somethin like that and got my truck back to gether yay!!

OH no!! its only supposed to be 5.3!!!

LOL

honestly, you'll be fine enjoi

Lol, aww dammit! R u kidding or will putting 5.5 qts in stead of 5.3 really do anything? Lol, I'm just worried that its gonna screw up again. I don't want to take anychances. :):aok:

I'm just so nervous bout it breaking cuz its my first rig... ;)

Edited by kyleky07