Aftermarket

i have been saving up money to give my pathfinder alot of upgrades, like: turbo, tires and wheels, programmer chip, air intake, headers and exhaust. i found most of it but the exhaust, i dont know whats good or where to find it. any other after market ideas would help to.

i have been saving up money to give my pathfinder alot of upgrades, like: turbo, tires and wheels, programmer chip, air intake, headers and exhaust. i found most of it but the exhaust, i dont know whats good or where to find it. any other after market ideas would help to.

What turbo upgrade did you find? I'm looking for the same.

For the turbo I'd contact Tyler (tmorgan). In all honesty, you'd be better off going with a supercharger kit because it's less work and considerably less expensive. Unless you want considerable power gains, in which case custom is your only option.

As for exhaust, I'm repeating what's already been posted. Go to a local muffler shop and see what kind of custom set-up can be offered. :aok:

Turbo. Z31 Manifolds fit, but don't know if the turbo will clear the steering shaft (if not, custom manifolds will be needed, and it would then be best to put the turbo where the battery is). You'll need custom piping. You'll probably have to swap the ECU's for the Z31T unit, which will require re-pinning. Need the injectors from either the VG30ET or VG33ER, and possibly the MAF to go with it. Might need a NISTune ECU to get it running smooth. Need a custom exhaust anyway with a downpipe. Might need to switch to an E-Fan to make room for piping. You'll need to drill and tap the oil pan and the block for an oil source/return (or make a custom bracket for the alternator to fit a remote filter adapter and you can source it from there). You'll want the cams from a WD21 VG30E for the best torque. It's a lot of work, my friend. I've been doing research in this and so far that's what I got about turbos.

Supercharger. Xterra/Frontier has stock superchargers on some models (VG33ER). Would be best to just get a whole donor motor (which can run you $1500+). You'll need the ECU and you'll have to re-pin it and modify the harness a bit. You'll need to raise the hood (shims probably work) to clear the superchager (or get a custom hood or cowl made). Not as hard as the Turbo. But just as costly for minimal gains.

All-motor VG34E. You could get VH45DE pistons (Infiniti Q45 V8 motor) and either bore the piston end of the con rod or get VG30DE(TT) con rods. Bore the block .060 and head gasket to match. Best to port/polish the head. Use VG30E cams. Instant power adder (you should get about 50 more WHP from this).

Exhaust. Just tell an exhaust shop you want 1.75" piping to the muffler and 2" out of it and they should be able to help you out no problem.

Jose

Edited by 180sx

Turbo. Z31 Manifolds fit, but don't know if the turbo will clear the steering shaft (if not, custom manifolds will be needed, and it would then be best to put the turbo where the battery is). You'll need custom piping. You'll probably have to swap the ECU's for the Z31T unit, which will require re-pinning. Need the injectors from either the VG30ET or VG33ER, and possibly the MAF to go with it. Might need a NISTune ECU to get it running smooth. Need a custom exhaust anyway with a downpipe. Might need to switch to an E-Fan to make room for piping. You'll need to drill and tap the oil pan and the block for an oil source/return (or make a custom bracket for the alternator to fit a remote filter adapter and you can source it from there). You'll want the cams from a WD21 VG30E for the best torque. It's a lot of work, my friend. I've been doing research in this and so far that's what I got about turbos.

Supercharger. Xterra/Frontier has stock superchargers on some models (VG33ER). Would be best to just get a whole donor motor (which can run you $1500+). You'll need the ECU and you'll have to re-pin it and modify the harness a bit. You'll need to raise the hood (shims probably work) to clear the superchager (or get a custom hood or cowl made). Not as hard as the Turbo. But just as costly for minimal gains.

All-motor VG34E. You could get VH45DE pistons (Infiniti Q45 V8 motor) and either bore the piston end of the con rod or get VG30DE(TT) con rods. Bore the block .060 and head gasket to match. Best to port/polish the head. Use VG30E cams. Instant power adder (you should get about 50 more WHP from this).

Exhaust. Just tell an exhaust shop you want 1.75" piping to the muffler and 2" out of it and they should be able to help you out no problem.

Jose

:goodpost:

My plan is a combination of the last 3 paragraphs. :lol:

well seams how there isnt a coustome exhaust any where near me i need to order all the bends and piping form the internet.... :( i dont know where to start. and wow thats alot for adding turbo.....

well seams how there isnt a coustome exhaust any where near me i need to order all the bends and piping form the internet.... :( i dont know where to start. and wow thats alot for adding turbo.....

I've been told you get a 100+ hp gain on that VG33E engine when adding twin turbos to it. The port and polish with new pistons and cams with the supercharger seems the way to go. Getting the parts is no problem and having the cowl made on the hood is a no brainer.

im not doing that! i dont have alot of money. every bit i make is going int my pathfinder. (only 16=poor)

That's a lot of money for pretty much anyone. Considering the hardware required, and the time and energy put into installing/fitting/modifying everything to work, and then running it to make sure it works as it should, it's a big investment in every way. Not saying it can't nor shouldn't be done. It's just a big undertaking.

Unfortunately, there is little maintstream aftermarket support for the R50... Especially when it comes to performance parts for the VG33E. Ideal options would be either swapping in a different motor (which is pretty big $$) or going custom (even bigger $$). For swaps, you could look into the R50 JDM turbo diesel (three options: TD27, QD32ETI, ZD30DDTi) or the supercharged Xterra/Frontier engine (VG33ER).

It essentially comes down to how much money you want to 'invest' in your rig.

which one be best but still some what cheap out of those?

For extra power and reasonable price, the VG33ER is the best way to go. Try to source a whole motor complete with ECU. Then you'll want to consider exhaust and a custom hood to clear the supercharger plenum.

I thought I read somewhere that the VQ40 was just an enlarged VQ35? Has anyone looked at the block to see if the mounting points and what not are the same?

Also, for the turbo idea, what about doing a turbo back approach? I know the plumbing would be custom but wouldn't that be a much simpler approach to run custom plumbing than to try and squeeze one or two turbos in the engine bay?

And another idea, does the VQ35 bolt to the subframe in the same locations as the VG33? If so you could just swap a VQ35 in and theres at least 240hp.

Edited by laxman0324

It's really not that much work. It's more about trying to get everything to fit that would take time.

I've been told you get a 100+ hp gain on that VG33E engine when adding twin turbos to it. The port and polish with new pistons and cams with the supercharger seems the way to go. Getting the parts is no problem and having the cowl made on the hood is a no brainer.

This is probably why you still have newbie under your user name. I can get 100+ HP on a honda D16 with twin turbo's if I wanted to. Hell, 1 Garret GT28RS turbo running 1 Bar (thats 14psi FYI) of boost will net me 150HP on my VG33E. What do you want?

I thought I read somewhere that the VQ40 was just an enlarged VQ35? Has anyone looked at the block to see if the mounting points and what not are the same?

And another idea, does the VQ35 bolt to the subframe in the same locations as the VG33? If so you could just swap a VQ35 in and theres at least 240hp.

Out of all the possibilities, no one has really discussed this topic. I wonder if the sub frames are the same? Then this VQ40 idea might really work. Throw an HKS Rotrex supercharger on it and just be silly stupid all day long!! :tongue:

Jose

Out of all the possibilities, no one has really discussed this topic. I wonder if the sub frames are the same? Then this VQ40 idea might really work. Throw an HKS Rotrex supercharger on it and just be silly stupid all day long!! :tongue:

Jose

To be honest I am kind of surprised no VG33 owner has tried to put a VQ35 in. I think if my motor ever goes I might try a VQ40 with a lot of research...Either that or build up the VQ35 with 350Z heads, intake manifold, JWT cams, throttle body, etc...

Well, VQ's aren't cheap and are a high demand engine. So according to wikipedia (god help me) the only real difference between the 3.5 nad 4.0 is the stroke. 81.4mm for the 3.5 and 92.0mm for the 4.0. Plus it has some other electronic gizmos. So I would say just use a 3.5 as a donor for the outside bits and drop the 4.0 in it's place. It's rated at 30more HP and at minimun 20 more lb-ft of torque. You would probably have to swap the heads though, since the 4.0 has continuous VVT. Only thing is I haven't seen anyone use the 4.0 for any other application. If it was good, you'd think you'd see more 350Z's with them in. I wonder...

Jose

Edited by 180sx