Noob With A Problem

jeremyelvis

when i try and clime hill that are fairly steep the engine of my pathy seemes to loose fuel or something, the idle drops to like a SHAKEY like 500 rpm, and stays there for a few minutes,i drive a 1994pathy se, any help would be greatly aprieciated.

does your oil pressure light come on?. full of fuel? being fuel injected you shouldn't have a problem with fuel cut out like with a carb motor. check your fuel pump wires going into the pump, they could be loose. not sure if the nissans have a low oil pressure cut off switch or not maybe someone with more nissan experience can clear that up.you could also not have enough fuel and it pulls it away from the pick up in the tank.but i would check the ground and power wires going into the pump 1st to make sure they all have good connections.

How steep? I tried running my 93 up a near verticle hill once and the engine cut out just before I hit the top, and I had a nearly full tank. :shrug: Never had any issues otherwise, so I never dug into it.

How steep? I tried running my 93 up a near verticle hill once and the engine cut out just before I hit the top, and I had a nearly full tank. :shrug: Never had any issues otherwise, so I never dug into it.

same thing happened to me, i got 3/4 of the way up and the engine just died? after i backed down it started right up??

Are you gradually slowing down or is it an immediate change

if you're an auto tranny it might not be kicking down---try going up the hill in 2, if no go, try 1(in that order). This might solve your problem. if you're a manual...shift down as your rpm drops. these are HEAVY trucks and forth gear doesn't like hills very much; 5th likes it even less.

If you're still cutting out, the timing might be off, or the fuel pump harness might be loose. Check these after you test the gears. harness is easy; it's mounted to the frame behind the rear passenger tire. just have someone hold your rpm(in neutral) at 2000and fiddle with the wires on either side of the harness and anything wrong will be noticed.

to check the timing, ask a mechanic really nice and give him like 15 bucks. or while driving, shift up 2500rpm (auto trans start in 2) and just watch your tach while you accelerate. you engine should "stumble and groan" until about 2000rpm and then slowly get better up to 2400. if its not getting better until about 2600 or higher you're timing is set too high. adjust accordingly or see a mechanic.(this is what happens in a TBI. in MPFI it whould behave the same but at different rpms as the TBI's peak hp is 2400rpm and the MPFI is ????).

yours should be 15btdc and it won't be set lower because nobody would do that.

If none of that works you need a tune up. and if that doesn't work, check for trouble codes. you should see one that tells you everything is fine.

that's all i have.

good luck