Frame Repair = Hard 3" Lift

sumguy67

So, it looks like I'm going to be doing some frame repair.

Since I want to do a 3" body lift anyway, I'll take advantage of lifting the body and repair the frame at that time.

So, since I have the body up and the welder in hand, I was thinking I will just modify the body mounts for my 3" lift.

I haven't done any extensive crawling around under the truck to look at this but it seems reasonable.

Any comments would be appreciated.

Thanks!

aside from the rears bolts being diffcult before hand(cold get worse) I think it sounds like a good idea.

mabe ad some gussets where the mount sticks above the frame too.

I don't see it being a bad idea... Just make sure you got your mounts supported and strong. Plus you will be more rigid than a tradiotinal BL, being you won't have the big chunks of whatever there made of and long bolts...

You could cut and raise the body mounts. I know of one person who did it on his xterra.

When doing the body lift, the rear two bolts are a pain to line up.

Well, the two rear bolts won't be a problem.

I dropped the rear frame last night. HA!

100_1703.JPG

I plan to bolt up to the body and the weld the new frame in place.

I don't see it being a bad idea... Just make sure you got your mounts supported and strong. Plus you will be more rigid than a tradiotinal BL, being you won't have the big chunks of whatever there made of and long bolts...

I agree with the bolt comment.

When I pulled the rear bolts (with a 30" bar on my 1/2' ratchet!!) they seemed pretty long much less adding 3" to them.

The isolators must take a beating with a body lift, especially considering it's for an off-road application.

I'm not sure what they provide in the lift kits, but I would suggest some large diameter thick washers to back-up the head of the bolts on a 3" lift.

At least for the way I would beat-up an off-road truck! HA!

• 4 weeks later...

I agree with the bolt comment.

When I pulled the rear bolts (with a 30" bar on my 1/2' ratchet!!) they seemed pretty long much less adding 3" to them.

The isolators must take a beating with a body lift, especially considering it's for an off-road application.

I'm not sure what they provide in the lift kits, but I would suggest some large diameter thick washers to back-up the head of the bolts on a 3" lift.

At least for the way I would beat-up an off-road truck! HA!

not sure on oter lift packages but the one from 4x4.com come with plenty of washers and fairly sout bols as well

when I had my 87 Hardbody I had thought of using some type of long channel or "C" rail to run between both body mounts, from one side to the other but ended up just getting the trailmaster body lift with the aluminum blocks, don't know if there would be enough room to run a length of metal between the 2 mounts but thought it would help stiffen everything up.

I like the idea of moving the body mounts up higher on the frame and to eliminate the block all together, and still being able o use the stock length bolts, you will just have to make sure each one is raised the same amount and that who ever does the welding knows what they are doing and can make good welds.

you will just have to make sure each one is raised the same amount and that who ever does the welding knows what they are doing and can make good welds.

lots of gussets.. im gonna be welding it myself, but if it gets too difficult i have a friend who is a master welder. my truck is off-road only, so i dont worry too much about damage... :tongue:

I wouldn't worry too much about making them robust with gussets and extra weld.

You may warp your frame with all of the extra weld too.

The original body mounts are pretty light.

And if something is going to give under stress you want it to be the mounts and not the frame.

Just some thoughts from my frame design days.......

thanks for the tip, im gonna try to keep it as light as possible... i found a crak in my frame yesterday. damn rust. :thumbsdown: gotta fix that too

Ya, I had a pretty bad rear frame too. So I cut everything past the rear suspension out and I'm building my own rear frame.

It will allow me to raise the rear mounts (no spacers) and raise the fuel tank along with the body 3".

Just for safety I'm reinforcing the entire frame around the rear suspension and body mounts.

the front portion of the frame doesn't look too bad.

it seems like the rear is the weak points on the frame of our rigs. i know from my rear suspension back is obliterated but im going to be building new rails for mine from rear susp back like was mentioned in here already.

I want Pics!

a naked pathy frame need to go in my collective of pathy data.

Plus seeing your progress and improvents to the structrue would be nice as well.