92 Toyota 4X4 V6 Running Problem

ahardb0dy

One of my co-workers is at his wit's end with this Toyota it is a 92 4x4 pickup, V6, one owner 70K original miles, he says it will be running fine than all of a sudden it will stall out and than run like crap. He has the FSM and has followed all the procedures as to this condition, he has a new coil, igniter, cap, rotor, plug wires and plugs, fuel pump I think he said was new also. He did tell me he pulled the number 6 wire off the cap and it had no spark. I was thinking the pickup under the rotor but he said he tested that and it was ok also. He has no clue on what else to look at , he thinks it may be the distributor but I wanted to see if anyone else had any ideas. Oh, no codes either,

thanks

enjoy... THAT 3.0 SUCKS I dread everytime I open the hood on the 4runner. Friggin thing is a vaccuum nightmare, on it's second set of headgaskets (and I've only had it since Octoberish), had the top of the motor off more times than I can count(shut up)...

my wife had a 88 4x4 with the V6 and we never had any problems with it, I have heard about the head gasket problems but her's ran fine.

Yeah, those toyota 3vz's are garbage, the 5vz is a much better engine and gives you a .4 litre increase. I'm a toyota guy at heart.

I would suggest checking out the airflow meter, and making sure the idle bypass screw on it isn't tweaked at all, I had a bad one on my old supra and actually had to drill out the spot where it is, to adjust it. If a cylinder isn't getting spark and he's replaced everything but the distributor, definitely try that, it could be some sort of failing contact in there that lets it work til it warms up or something? :scratchhead:

Congratulations, you've picked the world's worst engine to work on.

Has he checked fuel pressure when it starts to run like crap? And did he check for spark properly by waiting for each rotation and make sure the firing order is consistant with spark?

Edited by Kingman

t100 junk,tacoma junk,4runner junk...tundra...really there 7 years old and toyota has called a recall because there frames are breaking because of rust...on a 1/2 truck...sure the old ones rust out the same but they where pretty straight forward,nothing to hard,4 bangers and stuff...

Lol! 3 motors, 3 head gaskets, parts failing left and right, always broken down. It got so bad the shop he used to take it to would be fuming when they saw it pull in the parking lot...that's my buddy's old '91 SR5. He sold it... Uncle's '05 Sequoia Limited - A/C went out twice, electrical system shorted out and cut everything off twice, bearings, window buttons not operating properly, and a few other things. First-gen Tundras are retarded little trucks with junk frames and suspension that tweak to all hell when you put a few pieces of lumber in the bed. New Toyotas have crap for build quality, cheap plastics, fit and finish, and the Corollas have millions of blown engines with less than 30,000 miles on them and Toyota refuses to take care of their customers. I won't own one.

But debates about whether they're good or not isn't the topic...

I'd also check the MAF sensor and wiring like silverton said.

People may argue that it is the Toyota vehicles that are built in the US and not Japan that suck. This is however not true at all, I know of Toyota vehicles that are built in Japan and they are complete @!*%.

My 4runner came over on a boat... I've definatly battled issues that he average/smart person would have junked it over. Not all that great of a history, but at least he frame is solid...

Update: spoke to my co-worker today, he said he replaced the distributor this past Saturday, fuel filter was also replaced, he says the truck will start fine than after about 3 minutes it sounds and feels like it's only running on 3 cylinders. He said he hasn't checked the fuel pressure regulator as it is under the manifold, any ideas on this problem?? Trying to help him out with this as he has given me some help in the past appreciate any ideas, Thanks

Update: spoke to my co-worker today, he said he replaced the distributor this past Saturday, fuel filter was also replaced, he says the truck will start fine than after about 3 minutes it sounds and feels like it's only running on 3 cylinders. He said he hasn't checked the fuel pressure regulator as it is under the manifold, any ideas on this problem?? Trying to help him out with this as he has given me some help in the past appreciate any ideas, Thanks

Just idling?Or when he's driving it,is it a stick or auto,if its a stick and has a hydrolic clutch that maybe the problem(kid I worked with had the problem on his B2...)

Have him seafoam it,but it maybe something in the tank getting sucked into the fuel pump,since it starts out fine and then starts running like its not getting anuff gas.Other then the fuel pressure regulator,I'm out of ideas...

spoke to my buddy few minutes ago, truck is an automatic and problem occurs when stationary or while driving doesn't matter, he said he checked the gas tank when he replaced the fuel pump. Also said the truck did not always have this problem it was running fine than just started to act up. Thanks

Hey if you get a chance, check the vacuum lines going to the power steering pump. There are two. I just thought of this, but my buddy's SR5 did the exact same thing and it took us FOREVER to figure out why. It was a slight crack where the hose meets the metal tube on the pump and it would slide partially off. Cut the bad part off and stuck it back on and it ran great.