Oh No! My Throttle Is Stuck Wide Open!

Kingman

So today my throttle cable frayed inside of the plastic tubing and jammed at wide open throttle. It's been feeling weird and tight and scratchy for the past few days, I just figured it needed to be lubed. No big deal right? Not. I was cruising down the road and I let off the gas and it kept going at the same rate so I pushed in the clutch and the RPMs raised to about 4K and I was like WTF and tapped it a few times and it still stuck a little and then punched it fast to try and "break" it loose. Bad idea... zing zing zing zing zing zing zing zing zing zing! 6500 pegged bouncing off the rev limiter. Shut off the engine (ever shut off an old engine from redline? It's a God awful ruckus), hammered the brakes, and dove off into a side street. I was able to nurse it over to my step dad's house by getting it unstuck and setting the throttle in one spot and just going with it. :thumbsdown: After I got the cable to unstuck so I could safely start it there was a serious lifter tick on the driver's side for a while but it shut up. I hope it stays shut up.

So now I'm driving his Tahoe, which mysteriously started running again...

How does that even happen? It's in a solid plastic tube... :scratchhead:

throttlecable2.jpg

Edited by Kingman

True... I've never been one to panic in situations. I think I literally rolled my eyes, put it in neutral, and shut off the engine. :lol:

I'm going to the junk yard tomorrow, maybe I'll find some other cool parts as well.

Things like this happen because it's a pathfinder. That's the conclusion I came to when my clutch pedal started falling to the floor while I was riding it(reverse only). It only ever did it 3 times on the same day, and then never, ever, again.

The whole not panicking thing, I think, only ever happens with pathy owners as we think "wtf is it now".

True... I've never been one to panic in situations. I think I literally rolled my eyes, put it in neutral, and shut off the engine. :lol:

I'm going to the junk yard tomorrow, maybe I'll find some other cool parts as well.

This is my favorite part of going to the junkyard :lol: The Pathfinder in my local junkyard has the OEM Nissan steps on it, but they're welded onto the frame in the rear... I really, really want them. Gonna have to hacksaw the weld off or something, they only want $50 for them.

:stickwack:

I'm driving my mom's Jeep. It seems every time there's a problem with either of my Pathfinders, the Jeep is how I get around. The Tahoe wouldn't start this morning...it has a problem not starting when it's rainy and moist out. Since it wasn't raining yesterday it ran perfect. This morning all it did was crank.

it has a problem not starting when it's rainy and moist out.

haha my ex girlfriend's '87 Jetta had the same issue. I just assumed it was a pos and never really looked into it to much O.o

I'm driving my mom's Jeep. It seems every time there's a problem with either of my Pathfinders the Jeep is how I get around.

Something tells the problem source is not the Pathfinders... ;)

B

mine did something similar today, I've been trying to get the cruise to work and today on my way home I happen to turn the cruise on and notice the "cruise" light is lit up, I thought wow I haven't seen that before, so I 'm messing with the set and accel buttons and I turn off the highway onto the ramp to turn onto the road that takes me home and when I come to the stop sign I notice the brakes aren't stopping the truck very well, so I make my turn and I'm driving down the road and I notice even when I take my foot off the gas the truck is maintaining the same speed!! So I move the shifter into neutral and the RPM's rise up to about 4000, put it back in drive and they lower back to 2000, it did that a few times, than went back to normal, I guess the cruise was trying to work, fortunately it stopped and made it home ok.

Funny thing is, sometimes when it would play games with me, I thought it was the cruise control sticking as well since you can see the accelerator pedal moving as the system compensates for speed. Take a look under your dash and find where the throttle cable connects to the pedal. You'll see a fat metal tab on the end, try pulling on it and see how smoothly it operates...

I got it fixed yesterday, nice and smooth again...

:stickwack:

I'm driving my mom's Jeep. It seems every time there's a problem with either of my Pathfinders, the Jeep is how I get around. The Tahoe wouldn't start this morning...it has a problem not starting when it's rainy and moist out. Since it wasn't raining yesterday it ran perfect. This morning all it did was crank.

Dizzy cap/starting fluid in the intake...the tahoe needs a tune up...its the wire from the dizzy cap to coil(?) is bad.I had the same problem with my dads winter better.If you plug it in for 2 hours then your fine...

Dizzy cap/starting fluid in the intake...the tahoe needs a tune up...its the wire from the dizzy cap to coil(?) is bad.I had the same problem with my dads winter better.If you plug it in for 2 hours then your fine...

Fuel pump doesn't click on when it doesn't start. New relay didn't help, and putting starting fluid in the intake makes it sputter but not run which means it's a fuel problem. It's getting towed to my diesel shop so I can work on it there.