Help Me Find My Chirp

dhardison

What does this squeaking chirping sound like. In the first part of the video the engine is cold and it's louder. In the second section of the vid the engine has warmed up to operating temp and it quiets down some but never goes away. Also in the second part the ac cycles on and off a few times but that doesn't really change the sound. Only adds a little compressor noise to the mix.

Edited by dhardison

get some water on your finger tip and add a drop to the inside of each belt as its spinning. the one that squeaks sould get quiet for a breif period of time. Maybe just change the belts.

the AC idler pulley has a tendacy to make noise. (first pulley @ begining of vid) remove it, pull the covers of its sides and drip some oil into the beaing as you spin it by hand.

get some water on your finger tip and add a drop to the inside of each belt as its spinning. the one that squeaks sould get quiet for a breif period of time. Maybe just change the belts.

the AC idler pulley has a tendacy to make noise. (first pulley @ begining of vid) remove it, pull the covers of its sides and drip some oil into the beaing as you spin it by hand.

Thanks, I'm going to check that idler pulley. Sometimes I listen and think that's it then other times I'll listen and I'm not so sure. Didn't know there was a way to check it, just replace it.

It doesn't really sound like belt noise but I've had some belts make strange noises over the years. The belts were all changed 22,000 miles ago with Nissan belts as part of a 178,000 mile timing belt service done at a Nissan dealership right before I bought it.

I asked the lady original owner I bought it from why she paid all that money to have the timing belt service done at a dealership on something that old and she replied that she wanted to make sure it was done right. That's when I knew out of all the Pathfiners I'd looked at this was going to be the one I would buy and keep for a long time.

Agreed, mine made a very similar sound. You might try pulling it and lubing, though I grabbed one of another rig while I was at a yard for just a couple bucks, and its been fine since after probably 30k miles or so. Its a quick easy pull/lube/swap regardless.