Arb Pictures

JamesRich

I've seen a few members with ARB winch Bumpers, can someone take some close up pics for me. Some from the bottom side that shows where it mounts to the frame and maybe some from on top that shows where the winch sits. I'm about ready to start building my own and have some ideas but would like to see how it's been done.

James

There really is no need for pics of the mounts. See where your tow hook is? Remove that, there's 2 bolt holes on either side. That's where the ARB mounts, in addition to the stock bumper mounts off the top of the frame.

In terms of the winch mount location, to be honest, if I were building, I'd build the bumper around the winch. Then you'd have all the measurements you need.

I can try to get you some pics of the winch location in mine, but I doubt you'd see more than a bunch of steel with a winch in it. :lol:

Simon pretty much covered it. I have a few pictures of it off and I'll take a couple so you can see it on. I was going to try to map it out, but weather and time did not permit it. The bumper has to come off once more so I can mount the new winch and hopefully I can measure it then, although that won't be for a little while...

B

I Had already planned on using the tow hook holes too. I have a lot of ideas to put together but would still like to see a picture of the mount. I'm a visual type, I don't need measurements just a pic. I can measure everything I need off of my truck when I start. I'm not too worried about the winch seat like you say I will build around the winch. I would think the winch should be in line with the frame for a even transfer of pull but I have found pictures on the net where the winch is up higher than the frame. I would think this would want to bend the front of the frame down during a really hard pull or actually push the front of the truck down when pulling. I know I don't want to mount it too low because I will be in water alot. I guess I'm just trying to gather as much info as I can so that I do it right the first time. I really don't want to have to do it again or try to change something after I have welded it all up.

Precise if you have good pictures with it off the truck that will be great. I don't need you to measure it or go through a lot of trouble just I few good pics. Just need to load up my "minds eye" you as a machinist will know what I'm talking about. :aok:

James

Just need to load up my "minds eye" you as a machinist will know what I'm talking about.

Yep, exactly. If I can 'see' it in my head, I can make it... :D

Ok guys, I have a few shots of it sitting on the lawn and I'll take a few of it mounted after work, that should be good enough for the time being. :beer:

B

Well, here we go. I thought I had some shots of the backside unmounted, but I don't seem to. I put together a collection of everything I could find so far, including shots of GrimGreg modifying one for a 3" body lift and my own, modified for a 2" body lift. This should get the visual guys started and I'll fill it in with better pictures when I take it off to install the new winch...

DSC_0002.jpg

DSC_0004.jpg

DSC_0009.jpg

DSC_0011.jpg

DSC_0013.jpg

B

And finally, just because it got mixed in for some reason, the Chinese Pink Garlic I grew that was used for seed stock so I should have another 2 dozen of them in 3-4 months...

Arb2004.jpg

:lol:

B

Hope you don't mind your shots being included, GG ?? They were a big help to me and hopefully others can learn from them also...

B

Don't mind at all, aside from showing my grey hair. :lol:

BTW, did they gusset the relocated upper mounts, or just seam weld both sides?

Bah, you are married so you should have gray hair. Besides, I didn't take the picture... :D

Actually, I noticed that when I reviewed the posted pictures. Looks like a seam weld and that is all. I was so happy with the overkill the guy did with the lower section that I missed that. Well, when it comes off again for the winch install, looks like I'll have that addressed, I'm sure it won't be a problem.

I have a length of tube at work for a rear bumper (4x6x3/16" IIRC) that I was going to have them weld up for a rear bumper once I measure/make the gussets, mounts, etc. It's the exhaust shop that made my mid pipe and modified the rear section. The same ones that specialize in custom classics. I generally like their work and working with them, it's a nice change from the Midas mentality, "drop it off and we'll tell you when it is done".

B

The main strength comes from underneath where it is bolted to the frame. The bumper attachments are bolted to a piece welded to the top of the frame. It really is strong enough IMHO; if you shear that bolt or tear the bumper mount off, you should really examine your methods/expectations. Even if you did, it's not like anything would fly loose. If I managed to tear the front bumper off winching, someone should whack me in the head, several times, hopefully until I stop moving...

That said, the one thing that I would do differently is use tubing for the bottom support. I'd have to take measurements, but I suspect that 1x2 would do the job to line up the bolt holes and if you angled it up right after clearing the frame it would give you about 2" more clearance/approach angle and be a stronger than the stock design. That said, I can't find much fault with the ARB bumper, it is solid and well made. Perhaps it isn't ideal for rock crawling, but I don't think that was the market they were shooting for. I've set my Pathy up as an expedition vehicle, and the ARB compliments that approach 100%.

B

Yeah, my custom one on my 88 is 2x2 tube, and it "bends"/angles up right at the end of the frame rail, so it only protrudes out another 2.5" past the frame and is solid tube, so I'm good on approach even if I hit it won't hurt it.

Yeah, my custom one on my 88 is 2x2 tube, and it "bends"/angles up right at the end of the frame rail, so it only protrudes out another 2.5" past the frame and is solid tube, so I'm good on approach even if I hit it won't hurt it.

Yeah, I was thinking 2x2x either 1/4 3/16 or 1/8" for the lower part, and not having to incorporate both stock bolt spots makes it SO MUCH EASIER!

Plus, you can buy 20+ feet of 2x2 and use it for that AND sliders

Thanks a million B! You saved me some redesigning. My Dad and I started working on this yesterday. My plan was to build one out of wood first to test my design ideas and figure out fitments. My mistake was with my short patience I didn't wait at lowes for someone to get me a sheet of good plywood from a high shelf and just grabbed a sheet of wafer board. This crap would split when we tried to run screws and basically kept falling apart. If it wasn't for my Dad I would have kicked it off the truck and smashed it to pieces which wouldn't have been hard with this crappy wood.

I'm also surprised that they just used one of the stock bolts on each side. That will make it easier being the other bolt is offset. Also I hadn't planned on the third bolt at each tow hook mount. I will go with you, GG, and oldslowreliable idea of using tubing to come off the tow hook mounts. I was thinking of using channel but the tubing will be better.

I have just a couple of other questions, what thickness material did they use for the main supports? And how far does the center of the bumper stick out from the grill?

It looks like I was going over kill on the thickness I was going to use.

James

My square tube is .120 wall thickness (1/8"). It almost seems like overkill, but I wouldn't go thinner. When I originally designed my bumper it was going to be built on my 93, with the 2" BL, IIRC I made it so there was 7" clearance from the center brace in front of the AC to the inside of the tube. I did that for clearing at least a 9k winch behind the bumper. When I actually built it, I did it on the 88 that does not have a BL, so I ended up with 4" of space. When I do get a winch, I will probably cut out the upper center bar and just weld the winch plate in on the bottom tube, with it as far back as I can get it. Then build a new upper bar over the top of the winch. :shrug:

DSC00189.jpg

It's raining and I'm in my bathrobe. Let me get back to you in a few hours... ;)

B

I'm finished for now so take your time. It will probably be a couple weeks till I can work on it again.

James