Help Definately Needed

Kittamaru

Am I an idiot for trying to do this myself?  

9 members have voted

1. 1. Am I stupid for trying these repairs myself?

• Yes, drag her to a pro
    • No, it's how you learn
    • The Caek Is A Lai

Problem #1:

Not sure what it is... but the 1/2 inch outer diameter, 1/4 inner diameter rubber hose that comes off the small, firewall-side port on the air intake hose (the big hose leading from the airbox to the butterfly valve) is seriously damaged and the lower end of it was not connected to anything.

I can't even see what it's supposed to connect to - any ideas? I'm browsing the FSM atm, but I don't have a clue what the line is, nor where to look for it, lol... I'm going to head to the local parts store and get a matching line - that one isn't even flexible anymore.

Problem #2:

Discovered my charcoal canister is shot - the valve up top is literally partially fused to the upper cover, but I broke the damn cover following the haynes manual instruction- pry the cover off... feh... it almost looks like it was glued on or something.

Edited by Kittamaru

Well, I ordered a new canister, got some new tubing... problem is, I still can't figure out for the life of me where that one tube runs... I just don't see any other connections... anyone give me a hint even as to where to look?

I'm calling it a night as far as working on the truck - gonna approach it with a clear head tomorrow

Sorry, the MPFI setup is a bit too advanced for me to know(I just don't got one to compare

to, sorry). But don't feel dumb about trying to fix something yourself. Now if it were say changing a flat tire and you been working in it for a month...

Heh, yeah. Still can't find what that damned tube goes to... and my only other means of transport is the Jeep... which I'm still not comfortable driving... and I have school and work tomorrow...

lol... guess I'm about to get a crash course in highway driving with a stick shift... hopefully without the "crash" part...

Well, I managed to figure the stick shift out enough to get to school in one piece, lol. Didn't stall either.

I have skimmed a fair bit of the FSM... I STILL can't see anything about this stupid tube. I'm going to post a picture of the connection for it I can find and hope for the best. Even if someone else with a 90-95 can trace theirs for me, I really need to reconnect it :D

*nods* Thanks a million man!

It's the little tube that comes off the middle of the rubber hose that leads from the airbox to the intake, firewall side. I just can't find a connector for the other end of the hose... lol, it's like it leads nowhere!

From the driver side toward the front'ish:

DSCN6038.jpg

Showing how it's routed to the vacuum switch, which appeared to be bolted to the valve cover:

DSCN6039.jpg

And the two bigger "vent" hoses. The one that crosses in front of the engine definitely goes into the passenger side valve cover, the other one disappears under the intake manifold and I lost track of it, but I would assume it does the same thing:

DSCN6040.jpg

Right what silverton says, mine runs to that vacuum / solenoid valve, I think it's called the EGRC solenoid valve. Mine has three vacuum inputs the one by itself goes to the bottom of the throttle body. on the other side I have two, the bottom one goes to the intake duct that I think you are talking about and the top one goes to the EGR valve. It's got an electrical connector too.

I'm not sure but I think the other big hose that disappears under the plenum is more valve cover blow-by piping that connects both valve covers and makes its way to the blow-by control valve that's screwed into the side of the plenum.

oh my god thank you so much. I would have never found that - even with the pictures I'm going to have trouble (I have horrible lighting in my garage)

The two bigger ones were fine, but that smaller one wasn't connected to anything, lol

Ok, well, just got to my mom's house and took a look - I can't seem to find anything that it could plug into there... any chance you can show (or if it is showing, circle) the plug itself? Either I'm blind or somethings seriously wrong with my truck... lol...

EDIT - wait, do you have an AC on that truck? Because unless I'm seriously disoriented here, where your tube runs is right where my AC compressor is... and thus I have zero chance of getting my fat hands in there 0o'

Edited by Kittamaru

arg, this stupid gotta host your pix crap is a pain, if you look in the 2nd pic posted, at about 1 oclock position, the electrical plug looks square and has light shining on the top, a black tube going into the top, its under that

Yeah, just found it about 10 minutes ago :D Lol, I feel dumb now.

SO that's all hooked back up. Need to get the new charcoal canister (should be here tomorrow) but, new issue.

I used an entire can of throttle body cleaner... my mom was helping me by spraying it in while I held the valve open and a catch pan...

before I realized it, I heard it trickling into the back of the engine... argh. I tried to crank it but no dice, she won't try to turn. No freaky noises but no start. How long do I need to let her sit, or can I pull the plugs and crank it?

Edited by Kittamaru

So you got the vacuum routing figured out? I'll take more pictures if needed tomorrow, since it's dark here now.

But yes, the A/C is still in the truck, and it blows nipply cold. It can be seen in the 1st and 2nd pics.

Yeah, figured that hose out :) I was tracing the wrong hose after the turn in the picture, lol... now I just need to figure out how to fix the hydrolock, lol

Aighty, so the charcoal canister is going to be a day late due to shipping.... picking it up tomorrow, which works since I have tomorrow off from work.

Next step is to pull the plugs and check for damage/fouling/gap, double check my rotor, cap, and all that shiz. See if I can drain the carb cleaner from my engine... should be fun (any tips). Once all that is done I'm going to fire her up and see how much of a difference this has all made. Depending on the results depends on if I go all out and simply start taking the engine apart (which I should probably do anyway so I can do the valve cover gaskets and all that). Come to think of it, it'd be easier to do that now and put it back together with the e-fan and tranny cooler, wouldn't it...

carb cleaner will just evaporate, and its probably a good thing that it didnt fire with that much in the cylinders as it burns ALOT hotter than gas, my guess is by this time it will all have ran past the rings and will be in the the oil pan, just sitting there working on making your oil useless, DRAIN YOUR OIL! carb cleaner is made to break down petroleum, dont run the truck till it gets some fresh oil.

as for not starting as long as it cranked over but did not fire there is a chance that you blew most of it into the exhaust, but i wouldnt chance it, if it didnt crank at all, ill bet it will by now, there is no way your cylinders are tight enough to keep carb cleaner in them.

just one more question, why would one spray a can of carb cleaner into your engine anyway?

/\THIS!!

Get it to fire, pulling the plugs if necessary but I to bet it is all in the oil pan. Hopefully you don't blow the muffler off of the truck....

Once it starts, shut it off and change the oil/filter, then start it again and proceed.

B

I was using it to clean the butterfly valve/intake area... it was jet black with carbon and there's still some in there after using the entire can.

What happened was I had my mom spray the stuff in while I actuated the valve and held a catch pan - unfortunately, she thought it was better to get it further in - I had my eyes closed (contacts + no saftey goggles at the time) to avoid getting it in my eyes, and it wasn't till I heard it trickling down into the engine that I realized what she was doing.

By then it was too late.

Damn, and I just DID an oil change... fark. Aighty, I'll be sure to change it again.

SHE LIVES!

Pulled and cleaned my plugs, got the new canister in, and hooked everything back up. She started right up... yay!

She is putting out white smoke - I assume that'll happen for a while after having the carb cleaner in the engine? Also smells weird... but not sweet or like oil. Almost like she's still running very rich.

Next up is some seafoam and a brisk jog around the block, then another oil drain (to flush the debris and the carb cleaner out of the system), install the new Oil Pressure Sending Unit, and after that probably going to tackle the coolant, which hasn't been changed in... well, since I owned her... *hides*

EDIT:

Lol, I feel like an idiot... but I can't even find the two coolant drain plugs, and my haynes manual doesn't have an image of em... lol...

I think I'm going to put the truck on jack stands... might be easier if my fat ass could actually get the entire way under it...

Edited by Kittamaru