Shaking Driving Me Nuts

morpheus

So I've had a shaking in my steering since I got the pathfinder, and I can't seem to get rid of it.

I have eliminated all the obvious issues, and can't sort it out.

There is zero play in the front end, both inner and outter tie rods are new, alignment bang on, balljoints zero play, wheel bearing zero play. Tires balanced

New KYB struts and AC springs (but shake was there before the lift)

I've used 2 different sets of wheels - 17" aluminum wheels that came with the truck, and AR 15" steel wheels I replaced them with.

I've used 2 different sets of tires - 17" BFG Allterrain T/Ako and 15" BFG Allterrain T/Ako

Shaking starts at 80kph and goes away at 110kph

If I'm driving on a nice straight stretch of road, and set my cruise control at 90kph, the vibration will come and go. When it's gone, the drive is smooth as glass, when the shaking is there, the steering re-verberats back and forth like a belt shifted tire.

As far as I can tell I've eliminated

- front end parts - inner and outter tie rods are new

- tires - 2 different sets used, and balanced

- wheels - 2 different sets used

- Drive shaft u-joints - fronts replaced, rears not siezed or loose

Any thoughts?

Funny I have the same tires and have the shake at the exact speeds you do. And it comes and goes. Maybe try a set of street oriented tires or something. I'm sure you could snag some off some truck at the dealership lol.

Is this like a steering wheel shimmy? If so, I'm experiencing the exact same problem...

1) Do you have manual hubs?

2) Possibly worn front control arms?

3) Does your steering rack move around at all when steering?

4) How is your rear axle alignment?

5) How much play in the rear link arms?

6) How sure are you about no play in the ball joints?

I wish I could find mine, at least I know it was after my lift.

I'm going to put it back on the hoist tomorrow and recheck everything, but I'm sure about the balljoints, has been double checked, I have manual hubs (unlocked)

Rear links are new and rear axle is in spec (just did alignment on thursday)

I'll double check the control arm bushings and the steering rack bushings.

When I bought the truck it had been in an accident and torn all the upper strut mounts away from the frame, body shop repaired it all, and the alignment shows it all within spec, but I'm concerned that might be part of the issue too.

if you are going to have a look again at it, if I were you I would go be elimination by removing both half shafts and front drive shaft.. This should not take more than 1 hour and you will either eliminate those things or you;ll find that the problem comes from this... It has to be something that turns...

****edit : forhet about my suggestions,..I just read that you did your tests with the hub locks unlocked...so half-shafts and driveshaft not turning...

Edited by fleurys

Yea that's why I asked if he had manual hubs, I don't and thought maybe the CVs or front DS had something to do with it.

Do you have the numbers on the alignment? This random thing almost seems like a steering instability.

Mine are.. (L/R)

Front

Caster: 3.5/3.6

Camber: 0.3/0.1

Toe: 0.05/0.05

Rear

Camber: 0.1/-0.4

Toe: 0.0/0.35

Thrust Angle: -0.2

When I bought the truck it had been in an accident and torn all the upper strut mounts away from the frame, body shop repaired it all, and the alignment shows it all within spec, but I'm concerned that might be part of the issue too.

I have a project 78 VW Bug Convertible that has the accident history and I am fighting the same issue. My last effort was to install a strut tower brace worthy of NASCAR. Haven't tested it yet so I'm sorry, I don't have an answer but seek as you do.

B

If this story about how stupid I am doesn't help you then at least it should entertain you:

The reason I got my Pathfinder was I was so fed up with my Ford Ranger. It had a vibration/shimmy above 65mph that I couldnt fix for the life of me, despite all kinds of work, so I traded it for my Pathfinder. Brought it home and dangit, the Pathfinder has the exact same problem at the exact same speed! Well, come to find out that the only place near my house that I can get over 65 is a small patch of highway, that was where I was doing my road tests and wouldnt you know it the asphalt was all warped there for about 2 miles, exactly the place I was doing my tests. The ranger was fine! I'm glad I made the trade tho, but I sure did feel stupid afterwards.

update -- I have no update, shop was too busy to bring it in today.

I was thinking about the strut tower brace, more for the subframe drop, but also becuase of the accident repairs I had to do when I bought the truck.

I obviously don't have any idea how the truck drove pre-accident, but it was a hard enough hit to tear the sheet metal from the frame rails, so I was almost thinking about weak metal allowing movement/vibration through the upper strut mounts.

Well, at least I have a good excuse to do the SFD now, rather than later..

No reason to pull it apart to change the strut mount just to have to pull it back apart again...

Collecting some parts monday....