Just Raised My Pathfinder...

Guest JohnSavage

Guest JohnSavage

Okay, so I finally got 'round to lifting my ride...

I ordered a 3" body lift from 4x4parts.com as well as the ball joint spacer, radiator drop down kit and new torsion bars 'cause I thought that I had to replace 'em since they were so worn out. Luckily I found out on this site that I could just "reindex" them and not have to buy new ones.

So, I called 'em back the next day to cancel the torsion bar order. Unlike others have experienced, I had EXCELLENT service. They cancelled the order at NO COST to me. The service person, Jane, was as helpful as you could ever ask for. She made sure that the rest of my order went out right away and even gave me her email for over the weekend if I had any questions. I got my order in 3 days. I actually did have to email her on a SUNDAY and she emailed me back! Fantastic.

I threw on the coils from the junkyard first, thanks '88!

For much of the install, it was pretty much just as '88 describes in his "how-to".

My instructions were more detailed than his must have been and were for a Pathfinder instead of just a hardbody. They still left much, much to be desired.

One of the big differences in my install was the fact that my kit didn't come with an extension for the steering shaft. I emailed them about it and they told me that the Pathfinder steering shaft telescopes enough to accomodate the lift. Sure 'nuff, they were right. So, I didn't have to endure the painful procedure that '88 described!

I really like it when they say, "remove the fan shroud", but they don't say that to do so you will have to remove your fan blade first. Of course, mine wasn't a two piece as '88 described. It was one solid, complete piece. What a pain in the hiney right off the bat.

Disconnecting everything was pretty easy, overall. It was just very time consuming making sure that everything was taken loose that looked like it might get pulled too much when the body is lifted.

The body mount bolts were probably the worst part of my experience. Most broke off due to years of rust and corrosion. The remainder bolt was then seized inside the giant rubber bushing. Also, there is some sort of metal core to the bushing that was also gone to rust. I had to literally beat the hell out of these things to get 'em out. They didn't just come out either. It took quite awhile. I then had to get a bunch of oversized washers to reinforce the bushings when I installed them all back in again.

I also had to spend waaaaay too much time installing the new vent hose on the fuel tank. It took a good 30-45 minutes, at least, of working with this stupid thing to get it too stretch to fit over the male ends.

BTW, many of my old hose clamps had to be cut off just to get 'em off which meant more trips to the store for new clamps.

Power steering hoses: Went to every store here. No one carries a 7/16" or 9/16" ID hose. Rather than waste anymore time trying to find hoses that would work I just installed the supplied bracket. Very quick and easy, although I plan on reattempting the hoses at a later day to relocate the reservoir in it's original location.

That popping of the screw on the front of the body IS scary!

Anyway, I got it all installed & lifted and she started back up fine. I will take my time in cleaning up the engine well and getting all the hoses and lines back to a fairly orderly manner.

The radiator drop kit is a waste of money IMO. If you were to install it, it would set the radiator too close to the fan. It's an impossible fit without doing some major cutting.

Tomorrow I get my 33x12.5 Courser MT's and 15x10 chrome mods! Can't wait!

Guest JohnSavage

Thanks man! It sucks that I JUST put these things on this weekend. I guess I'll take 'em back off and settle for bad alignment until I can get the lifter A arms.

On the bright side, my ride is looking SWEET!!!!!

Try a hardware store for the power steering hoses if you still want to extend them. It's standard fuel line, basically. Those hoses aren't pressurized so they can just be made out of normal fuel line. Good work, man! Sorry I didn't find out about the BJ spacers until they killed my UCA's.

Guest JohnSavage

Thanks, '88, I may still do the hose thing later on. Here's a couple of pics of what she looks like now before I paint her.

pathfinder1.jpg

pathfinder2.jpg

Guest JohnSavage

Thanks Jason!! I love it, it's just the look that I wanted as well!

I hit the junkyard today and got a set of fender flares for it as well as a luggage rack. I lucked out and found one with Thule posts and bars attached to it! :D It'll go great with the Yakima rack that I was given for the front. :aok: The Yakima rack will sport my lights and the wind deflecter.

I've got to refinish my brush guard and get that reinstalled to match the lift.

While I was at the junkyard I saw a sweet set of sidebars on a Passport that they said they would sell me for $75! I'm gonna have to go measure and see how they will fit if I weld 'em in!

All this and repainted with graphics before winter! Gotta move!!

Guest JohnSavage

Airrun,

This is the list of stuff that I used:

Front springs off a Grand Cherokee $50

Body Lift Kit $105

Ball Joint Spacers $80

Mastercraft Courser MT 33X12.5" $460

Pacer 15X10" Chrome Mods $320

That's about it to get that look! Reindex and crank the torsion bars, get an alignement and you're ready to go. The ball joint spacers apparently can destroy your upper control arms offroading. I didn't know this before I installed mine, but they are EXTREMEMELY easy to install or remove. As you can see, the lift is cheap, but the wheels and tires are a bit pricey compared to most. Those are actually pretty cheap. I had to shop around quite a bit.

Have fun!

One of the big differences in my install was the fact that my kit didn't come with an extension for the steering shaft. I emailed them about it and they told me that the Pathfinder steering shaft telescopes enough to accomodate the lift. Sure 'nuff, they were right. So, I didn't have to endure the painful procedure that '88 described!

Mastercraft Courser MT 33X12.5" $460

Where you get these?

Are you in Vancouver?

Well done man looks tight...... I have the 87 i want to do mine this weekend.........

I am gonna follow your footsteps dude you got me stoked also too boot got a guy coming for my engine and tranny possibly i am gonna cram an auto and 350 engine in the 87 beotch :unsure: But once tyhe engine and tranny is gone thats it no going back OUCH vroom Vroommmm

That popping of the screw on the front of the body IS scary!

What are you referring to about this????

Oh by the way to anyone here needing tools mastercraft / canada tire has a 177 piece set worth every penny $79.99 Its regular price is 259.95 and its warrantied for lifetime. I just got because when i re-did my starter i realized someone raped my tool collection and i had to call 15 people to bring me what i needed!!!! GRRRRRRRRRRRRR anyways get yoUr butts down its only on for a limited time!

Guest JohnSavage

87mudfinder,

I'm in Richmond, Kentucky. I just found a local tire shop that claims they only charge about $5 over cost on their tires. Those 33's" were only $115 each!

That's a whole lotta engine to cram in there! Good luck, I'd love to see how it turns out! I assume that you're ready to get rid of your firewalls? :D

If you lift it this weekend, let us know how it goes and post pics!

On my 88, and apparently also on "88's" 88 pathy, there are two screws at the bottom of the front edge of the body that get hung on the frame when you are jacking it up. As you are jacking it up, the screws pop loose with a loud "POW!!!" and the body drops a little. Scares the sh** out of you and you are just sure something just broke loose that you forgot to unhook. If you look down to the front of the engine well you'll see that the ends of two little screws are sticking out just over the frame, thankfully hold your heart and keep on jacking it up the rest of the way!

Have fun, it's amazing how many heads turn with my rig looking like this now!

Yeah getting set for the next weekend for the big lift.. Need the GJC springs first while im at it also shock change and alll the other little things. I saw a link long ago of a guy who crammed a 383 into his pathinder like ours. Looked hot had SAS and a moster lift like yourzzz. Looks like a jizz fest cannot wait.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hey y'all, I am in the process of buying an 88 pathy. My mom has a 2000 pathy, the nice le edition, and that thing is so friggin fun to mud hug with. I take it to Steven's Creek all the time. The pic I have is what I want mine to look like, not what I have. So if some one knows who has that pathy, don't get mad at me for usin that pic or ne thing. haha. Anyways, I'd like to raise it up at least 3 inches, so if anyone has any tips or ideas to give me, I'd really appreciate it. Thanks a lot!

-Ben :takebow:

Hey y'all, I am in the process of buying an 88 pathy. My mom has a 2000 pathy, the nice le edition, and that thing is so friggin fun to mud hug with. I take it to Steven's Creek all the time. The pic I have is what I want mine to look like, not what I have. So if some one knows who has that pathy, don't get mad at me for usin that pic or ne thing. haha. Anyways, I'd like to raise it up at least 3 inches, so if anyone has any tips or ideas to give me, I'd really appreciate it. Thanks a lot!

-Ben :takebow:

You seem to have adopted the pic of Mr. Jim's Pathy, our wise leader. Don't worry, we won't confuse you as him. -thnkboutit-

• 3 weeks later...

Looks good man!

BTW, you didn't have to completely remove the fan shroud (and fan), you could have just pulled the screws and set it on he fan until everything else was moved around. I know that doesn't help after the fact, but might help the next person. :shrug: