Locking Hub Install With Pictures

Rusted like that here in the dirty south? Something ain't right 'bout that.

I'd soak them down over the next couple of days with some penetrating oil (PB Blaster is what I'd recommend) and try again later? Tap them with a mallet before you start to pry could help as well.

Thanks DW. Yeah, weird. I buttoned it back up and got some of the WD 40 penetrating stuff and will soak it multiple times until the weekend. Hope Saturday I can tackle this again.

FWIW, the pass dust cap had a small crack in it. Maybe that was enough.

I swear If I can't get it off after soaking I'm going to cut it off with an angle grinder...

Although, I strongly believe your mileage (ie experience, sorry for the pun) may vary in regards to fuel savings

I see no improvement to fuel economy when I have them locked or unlocked; it's generally 17mpg mixed driving for me. But, like I said, maybe it's a small population that see no fuel savings.

I still think it's a worthwhile update to the rig.

Sent from TapaAtrix

I don't either with my WARNs. Might be something to do with the fact I'm floored all the time... Though its generally 13mpg for me :(

• 2 weeks later...

I also put on the 4WD Pros hubs. Easy install. And my last fill up I got 20.4 MPG and 346 miles out of that tank. (Mostly highway) Overall my mileage went up 1-2 MPG. I'm currently averaging around 18.

Edited by crazybob

I also put on the 4WD Pros hubs. Easy install. And my last fill up I got 20.4 MPG and 346 miles out of that tank. (Mostly highway) Overall my mileage went up 1-2 MPG. I'm currently averaging around 18.

That's really good. Does the '01.5 have the VG33 or the VQ35?

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for putting together the pictures and installation instructions. Did you have any problem with the body of the Warn pulling up tight to the wheel hub? I find that I have a small (maybe 1mm) gap between the Warn and the wheel hub. I can't tell if its the lock washer on the wheel bearing or the doohicky on the axle splines that keeps it from pulling up flush. Any ideas?

Nevermind. It was actually the o-ring that was keeping from being flush with the wheel hub. A little grease on the o-ring and the inside of the wheel hub, plus slowly and evenly tightening the bolts snugged it up nicely.

• 4 months later...

Could I please get a few part numbers for the hubs that are known to work on the 2002 Pathfinder SE model? Id love to improve my mileage in any way I can.

This is what I got for my 01 qx4. My sibling also got this same one for his 02 pathfinder. I don't think it'll matter much between se, xe, or whatever.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000CQDPIQ/ref=cm_sw_r_udp_awd_3oIMsb17D0F14

You'll notice that amazon may say this doesn't fit, but reviews confirms a verified purchaser that used it on a 02 pathfinder also.

And as a precaution, don't be disappointed if the mpg savings are nil :P

Sent from the Nexus4

Edited by Qx4donald

But without the whole front end moving all the time (less drag) I should see some improvement correct? I plan on doing this once things frikken warm back up around here. It was 0.5 degrees "F" when I got home last night. Only 6.2 degrees now.

That's what I thought, and I agree with you too.

Unfortunately, based on my intentional trials before and after the hub install, I saw about 1 or 2mpg, but it wasn't consistent.

If you're interested this was my experiment:

A. Prior to hub install

I filled 3 tanks of 91octane and took mpg

Filled 2 tanks of 89 octane gathered mpg

Filled 2 tanks of 87 octane, took mpg

B. After hub install

Same as above

My daily commute is basically the same, 3mi to highway, 35mi highway, then another 2mi street to work. Then reverse going home.

The results were not significant to make mpg the main reason to install.

As I've learned by fellow NPORA'ers is biggest benefit is to reduce wear and tear on the front axles/CV

Sent from the Nexus4

Edited by Qx4donald

• 3 weeks later...

Is there any news to clean out the green grease that was in there to begin with? What's the general interval egger grease need to be added? :huh:

Sent from the Nexus4

Mine didn't have/still don't have grease in them. I haven't used 4wd yet so I haven't greased them. Any reason they weren't greased like others?

• 4 weeks later...

I didn't read all 8 pages but I thought I'd tell about my Warns. They went on no problem. The originale studs worked fine. I had to double nut a few to get them...easy. I put them on about 50000 kms ago. People say 10% and up for mileage. I have never checked the numbers but at 10% after 50000kms that means 5000 kms of driving for free. Best $200 I ever spent. My opinion is anyone would be crazy not to put a set of Warns on as soon as possible. Plus all the wear and tear they save on the front drive, A few weeks ago after being in the woods and couldn't understand the noise from the front end once I hit the highway. I thought I had damaged something....no I'd just forgot to unlock the hubs. Sooo much quieter unlocked. They are the best money I've ever spent on the truck.

• 2 months later...

First of all I want to say THANK YOU for this thread ! I found this about a week ago after doing a search about improved gas mileage on my 03 Pathfinder. I have since joined the " community" and I am very impressed with everyone's knowledge and respect for other members.

O.K. With that being said, after reading and re-reading the whole thread at least three times I ordered a set of 4 WD Pros from Amazon. My issue was that where I live I am not allowed to to do any type of vehicle maintenance in my parking lot. So time was and issue. after reading all the posts on tools and "hiccups" I was fully prepared to tackle this job before the " condo commandos" got there panties in a bunch.

After getting all my tools gathered and two pots of coffee got started turning wrenches at first light. The whole project took a total of 45 minutes and only had one issue with the drivers side old hub being slightly frozen. But with the information provided here I knew what to expect and was prepared with some WD 40 and a brass hammer. I was also fortunate enough to have the 6 spoke stock wheels that after popping out the center cap allowed me to remount the wheels with no cutting or modification to the wheels. I wish I could post some pic,s of the before and after but I am still researching the correct way of accomplishing this and will edit my post in the future.

Now with the Immediate observations and impressions. I have a KIWI mpg on board fuel computer installed and for the last week while waiting for delivery of the hubs I took detailed notes on average and instant gas mileage for comparison after the install. Here are my results so far.

Let me preface this with I live in south Florida and the the roads her are "flat" so I get a pretty good visual of instant MPG. My pathfinder is used for one thing only and that is to tow my boat to and from the boat ramp that is about 17 miles away. I also occasionally take a extended trip to other locations in the area. On my "commute" to the boat ramp I set my cruise control at 60 MPH for the first 10 miles the instant mileage on my KIWI was 21mpg prior to the install of the locking hubs.After the install the instant mileage is 27 mpg ! The next leg of my commute is a five mile stretch @ 45 MPH.Prior to the install the instant mpg was 29 mpg after install. 33 mpg. The final leg of the commute includes stop signs stop lights and increased traffic so instant mpg is not easily detected. One of the biggest observations is the overall "feel" of the trucks performance. I can feel the biggest difference with coasting after I disengage the cruise control and with my foot off the accelerator it is like I have shifted into neutral ! Second the over all "feel" of acceleration is greatly improved.

Now as far as overall increased mpg I have yet to determine this. I topped offs the tank yesterday and am looking for an improvement from my current 14 mpg. I will post these results In about a week.

In closing I am so far extremely pleased with my decision to install these locking hubs. I have owned this truck for about a year and a half and was always disappointed with my gas mileage. I am extremely pleased with the overall performance of my Pathfinder and have had no issues with is since I bought it.

I think my next project will be to install the coil spring spacers on the rear to improve the level of my truck when I am towing my boat.

Again thank you for the forum and the knowledge provided !

KLUELESS

Short time update: Today I decided to do some meaningless running around. Mostly town driving. Hit 50+ miles on the trip odometer and I haven't even hit the 3/4 tank mark. I usually get about 120 to the half tank hash mark so tomorrow I will try to get to 100 miles and top ofF the tank for a "recorded" update.

I also am planning a trip to a prior location that normally burns 3/4 of a tank one way next week (weather permitting) and will also update that result with a full tank and towing the boat.

Again thanks ,and please be on the look out for my next question/ post about a transmission question.

KLUELESS

First of all I want to say THANK YOU for this thread ! I found this about a week ago after doing a search about improved gas mileage on my 03 Pathfinder. I have since joined the " community" and I am very impressed with everyone's knowledge and respect for other members.

O.K. With that being said, after reading and re-reading the whole thread at least three times I ordered a set of 4 WD Pros from Amazon. My issue was that where I live I am not allowed to to do any type of vehicle maintenance in my parking lot. So time was and issue. after reading all the posts on tools and "hiccups" I was fully prepared to tackle this job before the " condo commandos" got there panties in a bunch.

After getting all my tools gathered and two pots of coffee got started turning wrenches at first light. The whole project took a total of 45 minutes and only had one issue with the drivers side old hub being slightly frozen. But with the information provided here I knew what to expect and was prepared with some WD 40 and a brass hammer. I was also fortunate enough to have the 6 spoke stock wheels that after popping out the center cap allowed me to remount the wheels with no cutting or modification to the wheels. I wish I could post some pic,s of the before and after but I am still researching the correct way of accomplishing this and will edit my post in the future.

Now with the Immediate observations and impressions. I have a KIWI mpg on board fuel computer installed and for the last week while waiting for delivery of the hubs I took detailed notes on average and instant gas mileage for comparison after the install. Here are my results so far.

Let me preface this with I live in south Florida and the the roads her are "flat" so I get a pretty good visual of instant MPG. My pathfinder is used for one thing only and that is to tow my boat to and from the boat ramp that is about 17 miles away. I also occasionally take a extended trip to other locations in the area. On my "commute" to the boat ramp I set my cruise control at 60 MPH for the first 10 miles the instant mileage on my KIWI was 21mpg prior to the install of the locking hubs.After the install the instant mileage is 27 mpg ! The next leg of my commute is a five mile stretch @ 45 MPH.Prior to the install the instant mpg was 29 mpg after install. 33 mpg. The final leg of the commute includes stop signs stop lights and increased traffic so instant mpg is not easily detected. One of the biggest observations is the overall "feel" of the trucks performance. I can feel the biggest difference with coasting after I disengage the cruise control and with my foot off the accelerator it is like I have shifted into neutral ! Second the over all "feel" of acceleration is greatly improved.

Now as far as overall increased mpg I have yet to determine this. I topped offs the tank yesterday and am looking for an improvement from my current 14 mpg. I will post these results In about a week.

In closing I am so far extremely pleased with my decision to install these locking hubs. I have owned this truck for about a year and a half and was always disappointed with my gas mileage. I am extremely pleased with the overall performance of my Pathfinder and have had no issues with is since I bought it.

I think my next project will be to install the coil spring spacers on the rear to improve the level of my truck when I am towing my boat.

Again thank you for the forum and the knowledge provided !

KLUELESS

Interesting, I have not heard of those before. Do you have a link or part number for us? I wonder if it is a different manufacturer or rebadged...

B