4 Wheel Drive Shift-On-The-Fly Not Disengaging

Hey Folks,

My 2000 pathfinder SE has always worked well. The shift on the fly would allow me to put it in 4x4 while going up to about 60mph or more, and would come out easily as well. Usually, when going back to 2 wheel drive, it would take a few seconds to disengage, and would go quicker if I hit the gas a bit, and then coasted / let off for a couple of seconds.

A couple of months ago, I had to pull my brother's Chevy Avalanche out of the mud. He was really buried, hung up on the body a bit, so I had to give it a couple of good jerks on the tow rope, to get him moving. Since then, I have noticed that it will not go back into 2 wheel drive easily while driving. I usually have to pull over, try park or neutral, and sometimes turn the engine off and back on, before the 4x4 light will go out, and it will disengage. It is not just the light either, as I can tell by the ride, when it stays in 4x4.

Any thoughts?

My 97 is kinda the same. I have to wiggle the lever and move it back and forth a couple times for the light to go out. I just figure it is some thing in the linkage or maybe there is a switch that is sticking? Does not help much but just my thoughts.

James

• 2 weeks later...

someone on here had this problem before. It turned out to be the linkage was worn and wouldn't fully 'click' over. Try reversing to see if it helps (I have to do that on my 96 for it to disengage).

Jose

• 9 months later...

Sorry to bump an old post, but I am still having the same trouble - doesn't usually come out of 4high, until I stop and usually have to put it in reverse for a second.

I changed the transfer case fluid a couple of weeks ago, and it did not make a difference.

I have not tried checking the linkage yet, and not sure how complicated that is.

Drive often on roads which can be snow covered, then clear, back and forth, so it would be nice to be able to shift on the fly again!

Anyone know where to look next?

Happens sometimes on my truck, usually after a lot of wheeling. I turn the dial, but the lighted diagram in the dash indicating the status just blinks. Once it took 2-3 minutes before it finally went back into 2x4 (but that only happened once). Last wheeling trip in December it only took moving forward 10 feet or so for it to go back into 2x4.

I just do like everyone else and just move forward and reverse 10-15 feet and it usually clicks back in. Might have something to do with the gears getting stuck and not wanting to fully disengage. Don't forget that it is a 10+ year old truck, so it will have its issues.

Only other thing I could suggest is to do a transmission servicing (if you haven't already done it). Dump out all the fluid and change the transmission filter. Might be a tranny issue.

After that the only thing you can do is to bring it to Nissan so that they can plug their fancy computer into it to see if something comes up.

mine doesnt always come out when i'm rolling either, but i've never had to stop to get it to disengage. a trick i've learned is when its switched back to 2 hi, is i'll give the gas a good hard bump while i'm going (usually around 25) then completely let go, so the rpms basically drop back to idle. 95% of the time it will disengage. i would give that linkage a good once over, maybe take a flashlight and camera under there with you so you can post them here, and we'll see if we can find out whats goin on.

Mine has always done that so long as I've owned it. Making left turns will turn it off, as will reversing a few feet. Otherwise I just keep driving and so long as I'm not going blisteringly fast it'll turn off after a couple minutes. I've never really seen it as a problem, only a minor inconvenience.

For me it's not temperature dependent, and happens at most speeds. I don't generally try to engage 4wd if I'm going fast, and much of the time I do use 4wd I'm going rather slow as I'm on uneven surfaces or something I fear might kill me if I'm going balls out :) I do sometimes forget and throw it into 4wd while doing 80 or 90km/h, but that is very infrequent as we don't get snow here that often.