The Possiblity Of 4Wd Conversion

Chymos

Ok, I've been playing with the idea of converting Kumi (my '91 XE) to 4wd as part of getting her on the road, and need some info. I *do* know that the local pick 'n pull has the vehicles/parts available to make it cheaper (and much easier/quicker, locally) than hunting down a 4wd.

What I need is info related to what I'll need to accomplish it, and whether it can be done without a frame swap (which would mean buying a 4wd Pathy would be cheaper).

First off, I need to know if there are any differences in the manual transmissions (other than, say, removing the tailshaft to mount the transfer case), i.e. do they both use the same transmission, different variants of the same transmission (different cases), or completely different transmissions?

Second is the engine cradle. Are there any differences in the measurements for where the suspension arms mount? (If someone could post the measurements in a way that is easy to compare it would be very helpful) I know that the mount points for the arms are welded in as are the side portions of the cradle. I also need measurements for the bolt-in crossbars that form part of the cradle and serve as the mount points for the front diff.

Third comes suspension. Are the a-arms the same? What about springs/torsion bars, shocks, and sway bars? (I heard that the springs and torsion bars are, but would like verification)

Fourth would be the transmission crossbrace and mount. On this I need measurements locating where the crossbrace bolts to the frame, and verification that the transfer case takes the place of the crossbrace.

And finally, can someone verify the factory 2" body lift on the 4wd Pathys that I've read about?

I need as much checked and verified as possible before I even consider spending the money. If it's doable, and I can get it done, I may write a short tech article listing what's involved and what parts need to be changed to do it.

i think Steevo did a 4WD conversion a couple of years ago :scratchhead:

wouldn't it be cheaper and less-headache involved to just find a 4x4 body/set up and transfer engine and what not to that?

Seems like trying to turn a standard into a 4x4 is an aweful lot of work involved and parts and customization and such.

just my 2 cents :)

Precise1, thanks for the body lift info.

Chriskaw440, if the measurements match, it really wouldn't be that hard to convert. If I'm right, all it will take is removing the transmission tailshaft, swapping the front spindles and oil pan, and installing the rest of the system from there. (Well, aside from the hole in the floor for the transfer shift lever, anyway)

I just need to make sure all the measurements are right. :aok:

Edited by Chymos

Precise1, thanks for the body lift info.

Chriskaw440, if the measurements match, it really wouldn't be that hard to convert. If I'm right, all it will take is removing the transmission tailshaft, swapping the front spindles and oil pan, and installing the rest of the system from there. (Well, aside from the hole in the floor for the transfer shift lever, anyway)

I just need to make sure all the measurements are right. :aok:

IIRC the hole should already be there for the t-case. These are mass produced parts ya know.

Thats a lot of time and money to spend on giving yourself a mediocre 4wd system. It might be more cost effective and less stressful to do the SAS.

I don't have access to the equipment to do a SAS project, and doubt I'll be doing any really heavy offroading any time soon, tbh. This fall I'll be heading back up to Missouri to attend Mizzou (University of Missouri in Columbia) and busting my butt trying to keep up with the kids who haven't been away from a school setting for 15 years.

Mild offroading for the occasional camping trip as well as a bit of extra traction and control for icy/snowy (mostly icy) roads is what I'm looking at.

Also, with the 720 (the pickup right before the D21) you can't convert a 2wd to a factory-style 4wd without a frame swap, as the suspension arms are mounted differently. That's why I'm asking for help in checking measurements.