Trans And Tcase

PATHRIDER

Im going to do a trans cooler on my hardbody and figured change the oil on both the trans and tcase. I read on here that a trans fluid can also be used on our pathys tcase and while im doing all this fluid change I might as well do my power steering

What fluid do you guys recommend for both the trans and tcase? I was thinking of going with Castrol (import vehicle) or should it be dex/merc ?

Thanks guys

Im going to do a trans cooler on my hardbody and figured change the oil on both the trans and tcase. I read on here that a trans fluid can also be used on our pathys tcase and while im doing all this fluid change I might as well do my power steering

What fluid do you guys recommend for both the trans and tcase? I was thinking of going with Castrol (import vehicle) or should it be dex/merc ?

Thanks guys

The transfer cases uses Dexron II (now obsolete by Dexron III last i checked) same as the automatic transmission and power steering system.

but if you are so inclined and have a manual transmission you can use GL4 as far as I know. I already had GL4 in my transfer case so switching over to auto trans fluid would be silly for me.

Synthetic reall help to keep theings cooler and lasting longer, and wont gunk up like mineral based atfs do.

there are several synthetics on the market that at DexIII/Merc and far better then conventional ATF's

Edited by hardlydangerous

Synthetic reall help to keep theings cooler and lasting longer, and wont gunk up like mineral based atfs do.

there are several synthetics on the market that at DexIII/Merc and far better then conventional ATF's

Problem of switching from general fluids to Synthetics is the first time you put it in, it won't have the usual length that most synthetics do as it will start breaking down all the mineral based gunk stuck inside the nooks and crannies inside. So you'll have to replace it at the same interval as a regular fluid. And i think the second one, I'm not 100%.

but if you have an automatic I'd recommend just going with an ATF for the Transfer case. Cheaper and easier.

• 2 years later...