Body Damage Repair Question

prginocx

Its actually a 2 wheel drive Xterra ( 2001 ) but for this question I figure it don't matter. I fixed the crumpled front fender, and replaced the turn signal light assy, but she also dented the rear quarter panel. Dent is about 9 inches long, 3" wide, and 1.5" deep, starts right after the door ( door is untouched ) and about 4" above the wheel well. Parallel to the gound. Kinda a long oval shape. I don't want to fill this guy with a ton of bondo. Do I have to drill it and pull it out ? I looked at an Xterra in the salvage yard, I can't access this dent from either the wheel well or the inside. Are there any super good options ?

If the steel isn't creased, a plunger may be able to pull it out to look 90-95%. If it's creased, you'll need to fill it with something, but try to pull it out with the plunger first, and see what it looks like.

When you say you can't access the dent, do you mean you can't even touch it or you don't have room for rubber mallets and such? I ask because there was a thread here recently about using a deflated football or other sports ball to pop out dents as long as you can stuff the deflated ball into the right area.

There was previous bodywork done on my pathfinder's 1/4 panel....couldn't tell for YEARS until one day I noticed the diff in color....musta been big cause they painted a BIG area...and all the evidence is 3 bondo snakes from bondo'ing over the three holes whoever it was drilled to pull the panel out...

Slide hammer @ HF= 20 bucks

Bondo Tub- 15 bucks

Spray Paint from walmart to match color- 8 bucks

I have a handled suction cup that I bet would work fairly well. That is where I would start...

B

Well, I looked at it very closely, the dent is really creased along the bottom, more like a valley or ravine, everyone else I spoke to about the suction said when its creased at the bottom, they don't pull out w/suction 'cause the dent is too strong. I just dread drilling all those holes and pulling it out, then bondo, sand, bondo, sand, bondo, sand, sealer, sand, paint, sand.

Why did I promise to fix this anyway ?

P.S. This forum did save me a week ago, I drove this Xterra across town (55 min ) to a salvage yard for the fender ( Turned out I wasted $20 bucks of gas, they had the right fender, I needed the left, oops on their part...). Anyway, the Xterra refused to start, so after fooling around with the battery posts and such with no luck, I banged the starter with a big rock. RRRRRMMMMM started right up and I drove it home and replaced the starter assy. Big thanks to the Forum guys !

Take the smallest drill bit you can muster , making the fewest holes in the main problem areas. Then you can utilize whatever to pop them out. I recommend a rubber mallet for what you can acess. After the dents are out you start the sanding around the holes. Then bondo the holes, next comes primer, then paint, then coat protective. Good luck.

if you are comfortable doing all the finish work, why not just sand it down to bare metal, then take it to the body shop and have them pull the dent, they have a tool that spot welds small studs to the panel, and they have a special slide hammer that will grab these studs and pull the dent, then you can finish it, drilling holes will just cause you a headache in the end, mainly because when you use a slide hammer in the holes to pull the dent you are going to flare the holes towards you. they shouldn't charge you too much labor to do it, especially if you find a small body shop that needs your business.

if you are comfortable doing all the finish work, why not just sand it down to bare metal, then take it to the body shop and have them pull the dent, they have a tool that spot welds small studs to the panel, and they have a special slide hammer that will grab these studs and pull the dent, then you can finish it, drilling holes will just cause you a headache in the end, mainly because when you use a slide hammer in the holes to pull the dent you are going to flare the holes towards you. they shouldn't charge you too much labor to do it, especially if you find a small body shop that needs your business.

:aok: