Td27T Diesel To Vg30 Or Similar. Help

nesh

Hi everybody I'm so glad to have found and joined this site. I have a 1990 R3m with a TD27t diesel auto and mainly use it to go fishing which involves a lot of sand driving, including some very soft sand like on dunes. This is where my problem lies. To use certain access roads to the beach means driving on some very soft dry sand. The track is no problem, but the last bit just before going onto the beach is a killer! I just dig in and can barely move.

After talking to my tyre guy who also has a similar terrano to mine he explained to me that no matter how good the tyres are I probably won't get far with that diesel motor. He reckons you need to be able to rev up quickly and hold it there so the tyres can kick out the sand. This is better done with a petrol engine like the VG30.

I don't have a lot of money so would like to know of solutions to a straight engine transplant without modifications to make the engine fit. will a VG30 go straight in? (mine being a diesel). Will the standard gearbox fit to it and what about the fuel tank etc?

I would appreciate any suggestions at all regarding my situation keeping in mind a low budget.

G'day Nesh, welcome. I have a TD27 also, and agree that in very soft sand they do struggle to keep momentum up. To put in the V6 you would need to replace the fuel system, ECU and possibly the gearbox. You would be better off trying to locate a QD32ETi, they put out 150bhp in stock trim, I believe its almost a straight bolt in as they use the same block (again, I've been told this, but havent confirmed). Add a better intercooler, up the boost and a decent exhaust and you should have no problem at all on the soft stuff.

Howdy Nesh, and welcome!!

I'm not familiar whth the TD27s as there were no diesels imported to the US. There is a section in the Garage forum that is specifically for them though... I took a quick look and before you swap motors, check this out. http://www.nissanpathfinders.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=7180

Also, what sized tires are you running? Are you airing way down to increase your contact patch? Running a locker would also probably help also.

B

Hi nesh, Good to have another fellow Kiwi here.

I really thought that a diesel would be great at sand as you have good torque. Hopefully Kiwipete will spot this and be able to give you a better answer/advice.

If it were me I'd buy one of those little GOOD air compressors and air the tyres down.

As for the swap, I would just sell/swap for a petrol one. Cheaper, faster and less stress.

As said above the swap would be engine, at least bell housing, fuel system, wiring. That's a huge job.

:beer: Tex

Yep, what he said.

Get yourself an air compressor and air down your tyres before crossing the soft sand to about 20PSI. I used to regularly run my tyres at 27PSI both on and off road. They are Savero AT's and have done well in all conditions. More power is not the answer on soft sand at all, you need steady revs and pace. Blasting the sand away just digs it in deeper, believe me, been there done that.

What tyres are you running?

Air compressors are cheap at Supercheap, or shop around. Don't know if you have Supercheap in Aucks.

Howdy Nesh, and welcome!!

I'm not familiar whth the TD27s as there were no diesels imported to the US. There is a section in the Garage forum that is specifically for them though... I took a quick look and before you swap motors, check this out. http://www.nissanpathfinders.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=7180

Also, what sized tires are you running? Are you airing way down to increase your contact patch? Running a locker would also probably help also.

B

cheers, im running 30x10.5x15. What is a locker?

Yep, what he said.

Get yourself an air compressor and air down your tyres before crossing the soft sand to about 20PSI. I used to regularly run my tyres at 27PSI both on and off road. They are Savero AT's and have done well in all conditions. More power is not the answer on soft sand at all, you need steady revs and pace. Blasting the sand away just digs it in deeper, believe me, been there done that.

What tyres are you running?

Air compressors are cheap at Supercheap, or shop around. Don't know if you have Supercheap in Aucks.

Thanks man i will checkout Supercheap for a compressor, looks like for the time being that is what i'll be doing.

cheers, im running 30x10.5x15. What is a locker?

A locker makes both of the wheels driven out of the same differential spin at the same time under most, if not all circumstances. This is especially useful as it will make a pathfinder a true simultaneous 3 wheel drive and still allow normal steering if placed in the rear differential. Combine this with good tires (31x10.5" should be an adequate size) properly aired down to perhaps 16-20 lbs should be sufficient for most sand conditions unless extremely loaded or some such.

Google search for 'ARB locker' and 'Lockright locker' for more detailed info. Cheers!! :beer:

B

Thanks man i will checkout Supercheap for a compressor, looks like for the time being that is what i'll be doing.

Let us know how you get on with airing down your tyres with the next sand crossing. Don't thrash it, just keep a stady speed and pace and you should be right.

viannen_09.gif

Im always driveing through soft sand i just set the switch to power selct 4x low ratio n drive ive not been stuck yet but i have had to help out others that have been stuck.

Im running 32x11 goodyear M/ts this way and as yet ive not had to drop my tire pressure to drive on sand i usaly run 32 psi in them.

Only time i go below that is when heading for mud.Just_Cuz_12.gif

Just as a heads up, I dune a fair bit, and the max pressure by regulation is 18psi on the dunes, and I aired down my factory 235/75/15 down to about 8 psi, and NOTHING stopped me, 3 feet of water for about six meters, then a 40 degree incline that at the last 10 feet swerved right and sideways up between trees......at 8 psi I soared right up no problem

at around 12 psi I had to pick my lines really well, and had trouble on the only hardest uphill climbs...

Air down, get a reservoir (i have 2 7 gallon tanks with a cheapo car-powered air compressor )and maybe save yourself some cash....