Frame Rot

ChrisPerna

hey,

I was looking to install a class 2 hitch on my truck and i noticed my rear frame is completely rotted away. I do not know what to do. where could i bring it to have it repaired? is there anyone on the board who wants to help me out and i can pay them by the hour and ill be helping out too. please let me know im willing to travel. thank you in advance!

Christopher Perna

i will take pics tomorrow, and i will pay anyone on this board who knows how to tackle this job. i really am willing to travle pretty far. i need this truck to last and a rotting frame is not what im looking for when i just did my timing belt and put 4 brand new tires on and about $600 worth of other stuff.

Try to find MaxStryker (I think that is the spelling), he was up that way and would probably help for a few pennies. What ever you do, do NOT let him drive it though!!

B

where is he from and why shouldnt i let him drive it lol

hey,

I was looking to install a class 2 hitch on my truck and i noticed my rear frame is completely rotted away. I do not know what to do. where could i bring it to have it repaired? is there anyone on the board who wants to help me out and i can pay them by the hour and ill be helping out too. please let me know im willing to travel. thank you in advance!

Christopher Perna

I know where three of them are sitting right now. I think you could buy them for parts

Well, you're welcome to come to Canada (I know, it's quite a hike) if nothing else comes through for you. I could weld up your frame, already have the welder, and would only ask that you keep me caffeinated (Tim Hortons within walking distance of my house), and pay for materials.

where is he from and why shouldnt i let him drive it lol

Im pretty sure he was in NJ but it could have been NY and he destroys pathfinders like the Blues Brothers destroy old Chryslers...

also i will be buying a brand new welder for this project so who ever wants this job, i will let them keep the welder once there done

Anyone you would want to have help you with this will already have their own welder.

Damn Simon, nice offer!! :aok:

B

i will come to Canada, its 450 miles away but this rot scares the @!*% out of me so its totally worth it. the only thing is i dont have a passport. do i need one?

I believe you would need a passport, but I'm not 100% sure. I know we need them to enter the U.S.

As B said, typically, anybody who's going to be able to weld your frame, will already have their own equipment. I use flux-core wire, which, isn't pretty, but doesn't need to be for frame work. One of these days I'll get myself set up properly for MIG work, but it just hasn't been necessary, for the amount of welding I do.

To give you an idea of what I've done on my truck, here's a couple of pics....

what I started with, driver's side.

IMG_1371.jpg

In progress (tacked)

IMG_1389.jpg

In progress (welding almost done)

IMG_1402.jpg

Typically the inside of the rail doesn't seem to rust, or not nearly as bad. The outside, and bottom get it the worst. That said, it's always good to check the whole rear of the frame, on both sides, as things can vary.

Well, that isn't pretty, but it's fixable. One thing you'll want to do before coming here, is start spraying lube on the bumper bolts, and hopefully break them loose, so we can take it off to gain access to the rearmost portion of the frame.

Damn that is bad. But I have seen (and owned) worse. I should throw up some pics of the rot magregor and I just discovered on my pathy.

You might have to take the gas tank out for that one too if it needs the inside patched... I know I'm going to have to.