Sunroof And Off Road Lights Not Working Together

kingsnake

Hey there guys. I haven't really used the off road lights on the top of my pathy that the previous owner put on, at least not while driving, only when I need to light up the entire campsite and a fire won't do. Last weekend I was heading up for a overnight get drunk by the lake and sleep in a tent in the cold trip and had to go up some pretty steep switchback gravel roads. I really needed that extra light the high beams or the roof lights provide, but when I turned them on, all the light from the roof lights came in through the sunroof, hit my window and gave me bad glare. It was still drivable, but high beams worked way better and I used them instead. The roof lights are way way way more powerful than the high beams but are unfortunately sitting right behind the sunroof mounted on the factory roof rack/ski rack.

Just wondering if anyone else has the same problem and if they've found a solution (ie. something to cover the inside without messing up the sunroof). I could just move the lights in front of the sunroof, but that would take a bit of work and a place to do it which I don't have (apartment with no underground parking).

I did use the search but couldn't find anything that relates to my little problem.

Thanks for any help in advance,

KS

my sunroof came with a cover, looked factory. clips on the front, thumb screws on the back. might check around for one.

I tried looking online for one on ebay, craigslist and googled it, even tried 4x4parts.com in case they had anything, so far nothing.

I'm thinking about just covering the inside of the sun roof with duct tape, but then if I want to take it off it'll leave behind that residue and make a mess...

I tried looking online for one on ebay, craigslist and googled it, even tried 4x4parts.com in case they had anything, so far nothing.

I'm thinking about just covering the inside of the sun roof with duct tape, but then if I want to take it off it'll leave behind that residue and make a mess...

until you find a factory one you could fab up your own from cardboard or something.

They came stock (if it is a stock sunroof) with a cover. They are hard to find and sell quick whenever someone puts one up in the classifieds. Not sure if you can get one through a dealer or courtesy anymore. You could take a piece of cardboard and make one that fits. Tape some clips on the front to fit the slots and put some bolts through the back where the thumb screws went, then it is easily removable, unlike duck tape.

They came stock (if it is a stock sunroof) with a cover. They are hard to find and sell quick whenever someone puts one up in the classifieds. Not sure if you can get one through a dealer or courtesy anymore. You could take a piece of cardboard and make one that fits. Tape some clips on the front to fit the slots and put some bolts through the back where the thumb screws went, then it is easily removable, unlike duck tape.

Wow, I didn't even think of cardboard. Must need more coffee than I have in me right now. I think I'll go and try to rig something with cardboard until I find a better solution. I'll post the results once done.

Thanks for the great idea Grim, don't know how I didn't think of it....