Spare Tire Gate Installation/location?

zachbiz

I've been looking around for a good 4x4 manual pathfinder between 1993 and 1995. I've found one close by is excellent condition. He just had lots work done like new belts/hoses/trans/brake pads/ blah blah. its a good price too with decent miles. the problem is, it doesnt have that spare tire gate on the back thats so convenient for storing oversized spare tires and mounting things like cb radio antennas :). where do i get one and how would i go about installing the gate?

thanks

zach

If the truck didn't come with one, it won't have the internal brackets needed to mount one. Your best bet is to buy the mounting kit for $70 from 4x4parts.com and pick up the actual carrier from a salvage yard. I'd definately speak w/ the guys at 4x4parts and see how to hard it is to install the kit first, though.

I did it on my truck and believe me the kit you get from 4x4parts sucks. It didn't come with the template or the instructions and when I emailed them they said it wasn't available anymore. Only then did they put on the site that they aren't available. Jerks. You are better off hacking the mounts out of a junkyard pathy and cutting them to fit yours. We ended up having to modify the brackets that came in the kit anyway because there were no instructions on how to get them in there.

good luck.

Edited by adamzan

Yeah, the "stock" ones the brackets are actually bolted in before the fender skin is installed and not able to be removed without cutting. The "kits" were made for when someone wanted one added by the dealer. The nuts are pre-installed for the latch and guide unter the hatch opening on all Pathfinders, you just have to drill out the sheetmetal at the dimples. If I were to install one from scratch I would install the latch and guide, then set the carrier on them and mark through the openings on the hinge to mark where to drill for those bolts, then set the brackets to match the holes.

I don't offer much help. I personally think they are unattractive. And I wouldn't be able to live with one as my uncle has one on his CRV and it's been stolen numerous times. Yeah there are locking lug nuts but some thieves are smart about it now and have most common keys handy.