Any Opinions On T100S?

HankG

Some of you may remember I posted a while ago about truck buying advice. I still haven't found a ranger or frontier with what I want and can afford in the area, but a T100 was just posted on craigslist which I find intriguing. After doing some research, they're only 6-10 inches longer than the Rangers, have a somewhat better power:weight ratio, and get similar gas mileage. However, I really don't know anything about them. Are they reliable? Are they comfortable? Are they decent off road? Do they feel bulky on the road, or are they relatively agile? Is this a decent price for one?

Here's the link: http://humboldt.craigslist.org/cto/1585005253.html

Thanks for any help. :)

Hey Hank, I recommend expanding your search area (some people will help more than you think) and being patient. The T100 was supposed to be a decent truck but it doesn't sound like that one is... :shrug:

B

Good trucks reliable.

V6 or 4cyl?

V6, more involved to change the head gasket, and not surprising, personally I'd recommened dealer gaskets (updated version) for that, if it's the older 3.0 (3VZ-E)

4cyl (2.4L), if it's the 22R, easy gasket change, any tpical gasket will work just fine.

Not sure if or when the engine lineup changed in the T100's but, they changed in the mini's with the introduction of the Tacoma in 95.5 so these may be the newer engines. I am not exptremely familiar with them. But they did/do have a good rep afaik. The 22R is a near bulletproof engine if treated good (older 4cyl, EASY to ID) the older 3.0 was comparable to our Nissan 3.0's... lacking power for what they are. That is the engine that you need to make sure you get updated head gaskets for (which all dealer gaskets will be), if you go ahead with and change them.

hmm ok right after I posted that I located some info...

scratch the 3.0 and 22R

22R was never in them, instead they used the 2.7L 3RZ-FE

and the 3.0 was discontinued in the T100 in 1995 When they introduced they newer 3.4 liter V6.

And in 97 they added the TRD supercharged 3.4 liter V6.

Hey Hank, I recommend expanding your search area (some people will help more than you think) and being patient. The T100 was supposed to be a decent truck but it doesn't sound like that one is... :shrug:

B

If I expand my search areas there are definitely more options, but the next closest areas are all about a 6+ hr drive away. I haven't wanted to make the trip just to find out there's something wrong with the truck and have wasted the gas money/12 hrs of driving, especially since I'd want to bring along someone to help me look over any potential vehicle.

Good trucks reliable.

V6 or 4cyl?

V6, more involved to change the head gasket, and not surprising, personally I'd recommened dealer gaskets (updated version) for that, if it's the older 3.0 (3VZ-E)

4cyl (2.4L), if it's the 22R, easy gasket change, any tpical gasket will work just fine.

Not sure if or when the engine lineup changed in the T100's but, they changed in the mini's with the introduction of the Tacoma in 95.5 so these may be the newer engines. I am not exptremely familiar with them. But they did/do have a good rep afaik. The 22R is a near bulletproof engine if treated good (older 4cyl, EASY to ID) the older 3.0 was comparable to our Nissan 3.0's... lacking power for what they are. That is the engine that you need to make sure you get updated head gaskets for (which all dealer gaskets will be), if you go ahead with and change them.

I could be wrong, but my understanding is that the T100s only came with V6s and in 95 switched over to the newer 3.4L v6.

Honestly, I'm getting a bit impatient since the Pathfinder just keeps having problems and I'm getting tired of it, so I may end up spending a bit more than absolutely necessary. KBB value on the truck is $4,800 in fair condition. It'd count as poor, but they don't give values for that, and I know KBB is always higher than you actually want to pay. However, if that really seems like way over the top for needing a new headgasket, I'll keep looking.

Toyota trucks go along time but thats really getting up there on milage and that is alot of money for something that doesnt run. Id say give him a low offer all he can do is say no.

They gotta bereliable,I've only seen one in a junk yard and there almost never for sale in mn.I always thought they looked more like a f150 then a ranger.All japanese trucks seem to last longer engine wise then american trucks but if its not running then I'd look at a early s10 with a 4.3 or a ttb ranger,I say ttb rangers because they seem to be more durable then the ifs one(ttb is ifs but its a swing axle design so its a solid axle with a pivot in it)