Hello guys! got myself my first vehicle! 95 Pathfinder!

zelix

Hey guys! got myself my first vehicle, a 1995 Nissan Pathfinder.

Now I just love the body shape of the 95`s and just everything about them.

Would like to know what you guys think of it. I think i did pay allot for it.

Paid $3800

Has 265k kilometers.

Rust is very minor :)and in general good condition!

Its not in my hands until Tuesday, so ill show you guys pics from the seller!

245870n_20.jpeg

4809349_20.jpeg

2585mgi_20.jpeg

Interior is immaculate.

My main concern tho, is the reliability of early japanese vehicles.

How long will this pathy last, im not made of money i am only 15!!

Welcome to NPORA Chris 10190.gif

If treated properly, by prior owners and by you from this point on, that Pathfinder will live much longer. Regular oil changes, on time tuneup's, repairs as needed and when needed and things should go well for you with it thumbsup.gif

One thing you need to do before you lose contact with the current owner, is find out when the timing belt was last changed, and ask for proof of they have it. If they don't know when it was last done, or simply cannot provide poof I highly recommend that you change it asap. Timing belt are cheap if you can do it yourself, enlist some help from someone known to be good with vehicles to help you. There is also a write up in the garage section written by 5523Pathfinder, who is a Nissan/Infinity Technician, that will help greatly. Remember, the cost of a belt replacement is low (if done yourself) but the cost of a broken belt is usually very high (new engine or complete rebuild of the existing).

Check for rust with a hammer on the frame rail directly above the rear axle and visually look for rust/holes under the rear seats and front floor board under the carpet.

Take your time, browse around the site, get familiar with the search function... there is a ton of info here. Then when you still can't find what you need, feel free to ask thumbsup.gif

your gonna wanna take a good look at your rear frame rails, and the other common areas on these rigs...

265km is about 160miles so you are roughly halfway through the expected life of your rig. Check when the timing belt was last done.

You change the oil on a regular basis, keep up with the timing belt intervals, and don't be too harsh....and that pathy will last you until you graduate college :)

Welcome to NPORA Chris 10190.gif

If treated properly, by prior owners and by you from this point on, that Pathfinder will live much longer. Regular oil changes, on time tuneup's, repairs as needed and when needed and things should go well for you with it thumbsup.gif

One thing you need to do before you lose contact with the current owner, is find out when the timing belt was last changed, and ask for proof of they have it. If they don't know when it was last done, or simply cannot provide poof I highly recommend that you change it asap. Timing belt are cheap if you can do it yourself, enlist some help from someone known to be good with vehicles to help you. There is also a write up in the garage section written by 5523Pathfinder, who is a Nissan/Infinity Technician, that will help greatly. Remember, the cost of a belt replacement is low (if done yourself) but the cost of a broken belt is usually very high (new engine or complete rebuild of the existing).

Check for rust with a hammer on the frame rail directly above the rear axle and visually look for rust/holes under the rear seats and front floor board under the carpet.

Take your time, browse around the site, get familiar with the search function... there is a ton of info here. Then when you still can't find what you need, feel free to ask thumbsup.gif

Alrighty thanks! My neighbor is a mechanic, im sure me and him could work together on most repairs :) if a timing belt is needed how much like, 10 dollars? 50 dollars 100 dollars?

your gonna wanna take a good look at your rear frame rails, and the other common areas on these rigs...

265km is about 160miles so you are roughly halfway through the expected life of your rig. Check when the timing belt was last done.

You change the oil on a regular basis, keep up with the timing belt intervals, and don't be too harsh....and that pathy will last you until you graduate college :)

Good to know! I want it to last! they are nice machines!

Belts range in the $20-$30USD range down her, but while there, it's not a bad idea the change the tensioner, unless it looks, sounds and feels perfect, and the water pump (since you will have to do the all this work again if the pump fails after the T-Belt change). Cam seals "if" they are leaking. Changing the front main seal is not a bad idea either. There is also a small 90 degree water hose tucked between the heads and behind the top rear timing belt cover (you can see it without removing anything).

All this may sound like a lot, but really the extra work to do any of it is little more than a standard belt change (minus the cam seal change) and the cost of all but the water pump and tensioner is not a lot more. The water pump will be the most expensive item, with the tensioner next. If the tensioner is needed (Iwould plan to do it anyway), you can buy a timing kit which includes the belt and tensioner that should save a few bucks.

Welcome Chris, nice truck!! I should know, I have 2 95XEs... :D

15 years old and you have a pathfinder as a first car. Damn, you are spoiled!! Just joking Bud.

About the price you paid, it's hard to tell from here. Prices vary due to area, condition and availability. For example, if you have a non rusted pathy in the rust belt, it is worth far more than one that is rust damaged, regardless of mileage. I don't know if you got a deal, but I don't think you were cheated either... :shrug:

Red is giving you very good advice about the timing belt. Make sure to find out ASAP, it is very important. The thing is that for the 95s, the timing belt change interval is every 105k miles (170K kilometers) so you should be 1/2 way through the life of the second belt on the vehicle. Odds are that it has been changed and you won't have to worry aboot for years, but even if you do need to change it and use $200 in parts (example, I changed everything and spent $400) you should not have to worry about it for another 170k kilometers. That's a pretty sound investment, even if you have to borrow the $ and pay it back, eh?

Anyway, odds are you don't need one but double chack with the previous owner. If they are not sure, ask them to check their records, etc. Good luck Chris!!

B

Alright thanks guys! if the guy doesn't know if it has been changed, or if it needs to be changed, i will get the timing belt kit with the tensioner. My dad says he changed the timing belt in his 69 mustang and has a general idea on how to do it aswell! BTW im dieing here waiting for my pathfinder.

its a 5spd manual btw :) :) :) :) :) :)

Belts range in the $20-$30USD range down her, but while there, it's not a bad idea the change the tensioner, unless it looks, sounds and feels perfect, and the water pump (since you will have to do the all this work again if the pump fails after the T-Belt change). Cam seals "if" they are leaking. There is also a small 90 degree water hose tucked between the heads and behind the top rear timing belt cover (you can see it without removing anything).

I agree with Redy,be sure to replace that hose,I got my 95 at 160k and it leaked Anti-freeze like mad some days and on others it didnt leak a drop.It was this hose.I thought it was a water pump and after taking the timing cover off and the belts I fugured out that I didnt have the cam stops or the expesrixs to do it.It ended up being took to a garage and having the cam seals and t-belt changed too,to the sum of $700.47.The guy jacked the price up for all the parts to the tune of $230.49 and then charged $455 for labor and $14.98 for tax...Make sure you have a solid frame and your good.My 95 has 189k on it now but it ate the tranny(auto) but since yours is a 5 spd you should be good,just make sure its filled to the proper level(I think nissan had a recall on there 5 spds since there didnt get anuff lube or the filler hole was down to low or something)

But great buy and I hope you like it...wd21 nissans are not old model trucks,nissan made trucks in the 60sSo wd21s are kinda of a tweener...

If the frame is good and the body has no major holes I think you got a pretty good deal. In hindsight I would have rather waited and found a manual trans pathy myself. Also 256k isn't bad I'm at 297,500 and it is running awesome.

If the frame is good and the body has no major holes I think you got a pretty good deal. In hindsight I would have rather waited and found a manual trans pathy myself. Also 256k isn't bad I'm at 297,500 and it is running awesome.

yeah ill be checking the frame out.

There are no rust spots randomly amongst the vehicle, the only rust on the body is near the wheel wells and there isn't much.

On another note, the plastic/rubber or w/e it is that goes arround the windows i geuss theyd be called window seals? are peeling on some of the windows, is there an easy fix? or is it cheap to buy the seals and easy to put it back on the truck?

You should look into those spots before they get too bad....Mine are holes now and its a bear to patch em....

Its not too bad if you know what your doing,knock the rot out and weld new stock in...the P-side is hard becasue thats where the fuel lines are,the driver side is pretty easy...

Hey guys, i actually picked it up today!!!!

17874_418293745443_548120443_10803747_6371204_n.jpg

17874_418293750443_548120443_10803748_2314960_n.jpg

17874_418293720443_548120443_10803745_811849_n.jpg

17874_418293735443_548120443_10803746_2791763_n.jpg

Its really solid, almost no rust, 265k km's and heres a video!!

5spd manual transmission

3.0L motor

Timing belt has not been changed, i dont know if im up for the job, my mechanic neighbor said "dont look at me" :P

Edited by zelix