Ignition Lock Issue

ChiTownSprty

I just picked up my 91 about 3 weeks ago for the winter. The little button you have to press to release the key from the ignition seized on me today. Nissan said it could be a couple different things and would be at least $300-$700 to fix depending on what was wrong. They suggested to just leave the key in the ignition all the time and use the spare key to lock/unlock the doors. I do not want to do this and was wondering if anyone had any suggestions of things to try? If it comes down to it, I'll just pay to get it fixed, but want to try all options first. Thanks in advance!

I am hoping the $300-$700 is becuase the labor rate is high.

Me think the only problem can be drill out two self-shear screw heads to remove old lock cylinder from steering column (10 minutes of working with center punch and cordless drill). All remaining work looks like a child play...

I am hoping the $300-$700 is becuase the labor rate is high.

List on that part is $185.00. I can get you a brand new lock cylinder for about $120.

I believe that range was depending on what the issue truly was. They said it could be 1 of 2 things. 1 being cheaper than the other. Anyway, I ordered the part and am getting it repaired tomorrow. Just under $400 for everything....ugh.

• 4 weeks later...

If you can get the key out, I would try to have them cut a new key by keycode if you have it. odds are the ign cyl is worn out and need to be replaced. I would call a locksmith, they could probally repair or rekey your existing one for under $200. If you have AAA you could call them and tell them your key is stuck and they might cover part of the repair.