Headers

ChrisPerna

Just hold yourself out and get Thorleys. pacesetters are poor quality. Super poor. Some are good. But they usually aren't. Especially if it's for an odd model such as the 3.0 pathfinder.

OBX I know is good for the S10 2.2's and such. No real opinion of their products outside of that though. Just saying. Why bother installing inferior headers that you'll end up having to replace? a lot of members here have thorleys and are extremely pleased

a lot of members here have thorleys and are extremely pleased

xeleventy billion.

I LOVE my Thorleys. I've seen thorleys and pacesetters side by side. the pace setters were nice but lacked the refining that comes from pride in workmanship... slag & splatter left on the tubes from welds, not all welds flowed as evenly as desired and I hear some have a quarter sized hole for the y-pipe union(the ones I saw didn't) like somone keeps forgetting to ream it out after welding.

the thorleys had a thicker plate going to the head for reduced warping with age and heat. The primary pipes were also thicker wall and all the welds flow and coutour giving evidence of proper heat penitration when being manufatured. the tri-Nickel heat relief coating (looks like chrome when new) was chiped & flaked easily out of the box but after a few drives it can take quite a bit of abuse after fully "baking in" to the metal.

AND>>> I don't think the OBX have any kind of

C.A.R.B., DOT or SAE approval

thats not to saying you can't do it and its not saying you can't pass emissions. It just means If you are questioned on exhuast you have no way proving they are street legal.

idk 400 is just so much money for me when i only make 200 a week and i pay 435 a MONTH for insurance

why is your insurance that expensive? That's ridiculously expensive.

and OBX has SAE/DOT certification last I checked.

:my2cents::my2cents:

I had some difficulties installing my pacesetter headers others have had them drop right in without issue.

My comments about my install are in this thread: http://www.nissanpathfinders.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=23496&st=20

As another note you may need to install an oil filter relocation kit, because the headers tend to block access to the oil filter. Some people have said it wasn't an issue, but in my case it looked darn near impossible to change the filter with the headers in place. Thread about oil filter relocate: http://www.nissanpathfinders.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=11831&st=40

The Thorleys are definitely better quality, but the Pacesetters will work. If you do go with the Pacesetter I'd recommend going with the ceramic coated ones. They haven't discolored or started rusting at all. The other version is plan steel and will rust pretty quick I imagine.

idk 400 is just so much money for me when i only make 200 a week and i pay 435 a MONTH for insurance

I highly recommend dropping the full coverage insurance, $5k is insane and a waste. Get liability and uninsured motorist and make damn sure you don't run into anyone. You should save $3k+ a year, enough to buy another pathy every year!!

B

It may not be just full coverage, B. It could be that he's had a few accidents or tickets on his record. Not trying to embarass anyone, but I've seen insurance prices get that high because of such things. Like someone I work with who drive's an '03 Evo. His insurance payment is $500 a month with 2 tickets and a wreckless driving charge. He's almost uninsurable.

I took a look at some Pacesetters not too long ago and I was not impressed whatsoever with the build quality. Good thing for the owner of them, is that he's running true dual exhaust on his Pathfinder so the quarter sized cross over hole doesn't matter. And yes, it is the size of a quarter.

I highly recommend dropping the full coverage insurance, $5k is insane and a waste. Get liability and uninsured motorist and make damn sure you don't run into anyone. You should save $3k+ a year, enough to buy another pathy every year!!

B

that is just liability!

Ok, sorry, I'm out of loop these days so I assumed it was more than liability. Holy Crap!! :hide:

I'm not sure what I would do/what you could do, but I wouldn't pay that much for insurance...

Ok, that said, you don't have the cash for headers. A cat back system helps a little and so does intake. These can be had/made cheaply and will be the most bang for buck. The best part is they don't need to change with other mods...

B

:my2cents::my2cents:

I had some difficulties installing my pacesetter headers others have had them drop right in without issue.

My comments about my install are in this thread: http://www.nissanpathfinders.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=23496&st=20

As another note you may need to install an oil filter relocation kit, because the headers tend to block access to the oil filter. Some people have said it wasn't an issue, but in my case it looked darn near impossible to change the filter with the headers in place. Thread about oil filter relocate: http://www.nissanpathfinders.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=11831&st=40

The Thorleys are definitely better quality, but the Pacesetters will work. If you do go with the Pacesetter I'd recommend going with the ceramic coated ones. They haven't discolored or started rusting at all. The other version is plan steel and will rust pretty quick I imagine.

Pacesetter's quality is just poor overall. When it comes to automotive parts you get what you pay for.

and i'd recommend an oil filter relocation anyway simply based off it being RIGHT above the starter.

Pacesetter's quality is just poor overall. When it comes to automotive parts you get what you pay for.

and i'd recommend an oil filter relocation anyway simply based off it being RIGHT above the starter.

so dont even bother with the pacesetters?

if you want headers, go thorley all way

you can get the shorties for $400 shipped

trust me you don't want to deal with any other brand

i have thorleys and even those caused me issues

first i couldn't find the right clamp for the slip fitting

second they blew out and destroyed the stock cat

right now i'm waiting for a new catalytic converter to come in and just hope that the catalyst has not traveled into my flowmaster 60

right now i'm waiting for a new catalytic converter to come in and just hope that the catalyst has not traveled into my flowmaster 60

the catalyst is less likely to travel as it is bonded to the walls of the cat-converter. Its the core that usually goes somewhere.

Get over it, I've heard as many if not more horror stories of bad fitment, crappy coating, uneven flanges and poor welds on Thorlys too. I got the Pacesetters, they fit fine and work well. I have seen the Thorlys and for the extra coin they want for them I think it isn't worth it.

I'm also in the same boat as Greg, why would I spend 1/3 of what I payed for my truck just for exhaust headers, especially when all I'm tryin to do is stop an exhaust leak. Even if I have to buy 2 sets of pacesetters (which I likely won't), I still won't have spent what I would have on the thorleys.

That's just my opinion though, I prefer to spend my money on other things like sports cars, drugs, alcohol, and women... Oh and gas of course. Again just my opinion

P.S. At one point my insurance went up to $600/month on my '93 RX-7 twin turbo, no accidents just speeding tickets. Needless to say I had to sell that car before bankruptcy LOL

Get over it, I've heard as many if not more horror stories of bad fitment, crappy coating, uneven flanges and poor welds on Thorlys too. I got the Pacesetters, they fit fine and work well. I have seen the Thorlys and for the extra coin they want for them I think it isn't worth it.

You haven't had the problems with the pacesetters though. I don't trust them and think their customer service and quality is terrible. I'm just giving my opinion which is what this thread is about.

Next?