1987 Alternator R&r

sencaw

Need to R&R the alternator - I have the V6

Truck is new to me so I am not sure what direction to start from (top or bottom) looks like a pita either way. Any help, advice, tutorials, tools needed etc.. would be very much appreciated.

It's actually pretty eassy, although I say that having done it 4 times in July. Remove the skid plate, loosen tesioner bolt, after that it's just 2 bolts that hold it in place, remove those, disconnect wires in the back and your good to go. Much easier with the wheel off so you can get to it from the side. Whatever you do don't replace it with a Autozone one. Will check back later if you have more questions

MAKE SURE that you get an alty from a 90-95 pathfinder @ the very least. the pre-90's are 60amp and the '90-95 are 70amp. Some stores even have a 78amp for a '93. the higer ouput will be less demanding on the voltage regulator and the alty will last longer.

All plugs and bolt up are the same.

Disconnect the battery first, other than that it is pretty straight forward. Not a lot of room and I seem to remember using a ratchet wrench or socket for something or it would have taken a long time... :shrug:

B

ok we can close this one then - I went to the LKQ pull your part junk yard today and nabbed the alt out of a 94 truck with a v6 for $17 - im guessing its a 70amp

the connections were in different spots and the harness connector was a little different so I clipped off the harness up the wires a bit and spliced the 2 wires in it to the ones on my pathy.

Now my gauge is showing a steady 13v and all is good as far as I can tell. Glad I didnt have to give $100+ for the thing~

Thanks for all your help guys! :jig: