Ome Springs Installed Need Help On Tires (Picture)

coyotedustr

I just got my ome springs on my 01 pathy and now I need help on the tire size. It has the 255/65/16 's on it with stock wheels. I was thinking a 255/70/16 or 265/70/16's but I am not sure. Any help would be appreciated. Do I need to space my wheels? I would prefer not to.

Edited by coyotedustr

you could also just go with a taller tire instead of going wider. I have a 2001 with OME springs and run 245/75/16 Hankook Dynapro RF10s. Great fit on the 7" wide factory rim and adds ground clearance over stock. My turning radius is great (by Nissan standards) and grip is never a problem - I'll never go to 265s on this vehicle.

I disagree. I have the OME HD coils installed and went with 265/75R16 Toyo A/Ts and the turning radius is still pretty reasonable for a SUV. For wheels, proper backspacing is important to consider when going with larger tires. In my case, at full lock there was significant rubbing on the front splashguards; since installing an aftermarket front bumper it's been totally eliminated. :aok:

I'd say go with what your preference is but also it's good to consider how you use your vehicle. If you spend most of your time driving on tarmac, a close to stock size tire will keep your mileage in check but that's about it. If you go with bigger meats all-around your mileage will suffer but it's good for hitting the trails, provides additional ground clearance (albeit very little) and does improve a rig's overall appearance (in my opinion, at least). :)

you could also just go with a taller tire instead of going wider. I have a 2001 with OME springs and run 245/75/16 Hankook Dynapro RF10s. Great fit on the 7" wide factory rim and adds ground clearance over stock. My turning radius is great (by Nissan standards) and grip is never a problem - I'll never go to 265s on this vehicle.

Did you have to space you wheels with this set up. From the online calculator it looks like that is just below a 31 or so. I think from what I have been reading that seems like it is about the limit without different wheels.

Did you have to space you wheels with this set up. From the online calculator it looks like that is just below a 31 or so. I think from what I have been reading that seems like it is about the limit without different wheels.

no spacers required - I went with this size because I wanted to keep the stock wheels. The wide vs. narrow tire debate is as bad as Ford vs. Chevy so I won't get into it. I personally don't buy into the "get the widest tire that fits" mentality so that's why I stuck with 245. The 30.5" overall diameter actually made my speedometer more accurate too.

as far as turning radius goes, I assumed most guys running 265/75 are using an 8" wide aftermarket rim.

no spacers required - I went with this size because I wanted to keep the stock wheels. The wide vs. narrow tire debate is as bad as Ford vs. Chevy so I won't get into it. I personally don't buy into the "get the widest tire that fits" mentality so that's why I stuck with 245. The 30.5" overall diameter actually made my speedometer more accurate too.

as far as turning radius goes, I assumed most guys running 265/75 are using an 8" wide aftermarket rim.

I am trying to get this done on the cheap and easy. I like the 245/75/16 idea because the tires a cheap for that size. (That is the stock size for 2500 chevy's) but if the 255/70 looks better then I would go with that one. Do you have a picture of the 245's on you truck?

265-70-16 Goodyear Wrangler MTR's fit perfectly on my wifes 01 with OME HD springs. Stock rims and no rubbing to speak of. Personal preference. We had 245-75-16's previous to the 265-70-16, but made the switch as the 10 ply's were much too rigid for the Pathfinder, but were free :-) Never any issues with either tire size.

Cheers

I only have pics with 245/70s - not the 75s. guess I need to take some new pics once I get the bumper repainted B)

Daddy Rim brought up a good point that I forgot - a lot of 245/75/16 tires are E load rated (10-ply equivalent). those are too heavy for the Pathfinder and when you combine the stiffer, heavier tire with the higher required pressures to get the optimum contact patch (probably 40-45 psi given the 80 psi max), you're in for one harsh ride.

Sorry I was out of town for the weekend so I didn't check anything. But I do think those 255 on your pathy look about right. I had not thought about the 10 ply thing. I have a 2500HD duramax with 245's on it and I had thought about convincing the wife that it needed to the new tires and the pathfinder should get those. But I don't think she will appreciate the ride. I think I will go with the 255/70/16

I think I will go with the 255/70/16

I would not have any fears of rubbing issues with these tires, however if your local shop will let you, perhaps you can trial fit another size you are curious about, i.e. 265-70-16 or other sizes, that way your content with your purchase. From 255-65-16 to 265-70-16 you are only increasing by ~1" diameter. I do not have the dimensions or own that particular style of OEM rim, but I would assume you could fit slightly bigger without issues if you so desired.

Just a thought.

Cheers.

speaking of test fitting . . . Chevy trucks use the same bolt pattern as Nissan and I know that the 3/4 ton pickups have a pretty large hub bore . . .

it wouldn't be safe to drive, but you could take a wheel off the Silverado (even the fullsize spare) and mount it on the Pathfinder just to see how it looks with 245/75/16.

speaking of test fitting . . . Chevy trucks use the same bolt pattern as Nissan and I know that the 3/4 ton pickups have a pretty large hub bore . . .

it wouldn't be safe to drive, but you could take a wheel off the Silverado (even the fullsize spare) and mount it on the Pathfinder just to see how it looks with 245/75/16.

I have the big one :rolleyes: . 2500 HD 8lug D max. So it is no go on the wheels. But I did not know they take the same bolt pattern as the 6 lugers? If that is the case this could change everything. Jegs has 31x10.5 x15 wheel sets with tires mounted for around $800. Could that be the ticket?

http://www.jegs.com/i/Cragar/260/3975864PK/10002/-1

I wonder if these would work? Seems like a pretty good deal , but the back spacing is 4 1/4. Does anyone know the stock back spacing? I wonder if this is close enough to 4" Is this our bolt pattern?

Chevy wheels are usually hub centric instead of lug centric like the Pathfinder. For any wheel, make sure that the specs don't say "hub centric." pathfinder bolt pattern is 6x5.5 (139.7mm) . . . I was pretty sure that the 1/4 ton Chevy pickups still use that pattern but I could be wrong . . . .

The Cragar Soft 8 you linked to is available in 15x8 and 6x5.5 bolt pattern to fit Nissans. I don't know if they clear the calipers on the 2000-2004 R50s though. 16x8 would for sure. Those wheels look good but are really heavy (mostly b/c of steel construction vs aluminum).

IIRC, factory backspacing is ~5" on the 16x7 R50 wheels (not 100% sure).

by the way, my buddy has a 2500HD Dmax, standard cab (mild mods - Banks tuner + full exhaust) and it's one of the fastest trucks I've ever driven - torque is just insane. love the Duramax :beer:

Edited by CaughtLikeFire

http://www.jegs.com/i/Cragar/260/3975864PK/10002/-1

I wonder if these would work? Seems like a pretty good deal , but the back spacing is 4 1/4. Does anyone know the stock back spacing? I wonder if this is close enough to 4" Is this our bolt pattern?

The first thing i see wrong is the bolt pattern... you will need 6 x 5.5 .... it is also referred as 6 x 139.7mm

).

by the way, my buddy has a 2500HD Dmax, standard cab (mild mods - Banks tuner + full exhaust) and it's one of the fastest trucks I've ever driven - torque is just insane. love the Duramax :beer:

Here is mine, still stock. Just waiting for a little more time. Needs wheels and tires. This is one of the reasons I really liked the idea of the 245/75/16's. :rolleyes: UMM I know where I could find a set laying around...

4131776967_58bf2d8ed5_b.jpg

But back on track, Unless I can put 15's on it it would just make more sense to run the factory wheels. Either the 255 or 265's

The first thing i see wrong is the bolt pattern... you will need 6 x 5.5 .... it is also referred as 6 x 139.7mm

Yeah, I see that now, I was at work at the time just thought that I had seen this in jegs the other day and it clicked. But wrong bolt pattern.

Curious to know which lift?... Iv'e seen both a 0.5" kit, and a couple of references to a 1.75" kit.... But on the ome/ arb website, I can only find the 0.5" kit... Would like to do the bigger lift on my '98 chilkoot... Any info on availability? Cheers.

I just did a 255/70-16 on my 2002 when I did the OME lift on it, no other modifications required and it looked great matched with the added lift.

Probably your best bet.

Curious to know which lift?... Iv'e seen both a 0.5" kit, and a couple of references to a 1.75" kit.... But on the ome/ arb website, I can only find the 0.5" kit... Would like to do the bigger lift on my '98 chilkoot... Any info on availability? Cheers.

its the same springs, theres just conflicting data online about the amounts of lift.

Whatever you do, do not use "rocky road" website to check part numbers cause theyve got them all mixed up. They sell medium springs and say that they are heavy duty.

I suggest http://www.ruggedrocksoffroad.com for fast shipping and reliable information (as far as part numbers)

You will get more lift than 0.5" trust me.

Great. Thanks, it was the rocky road site that had confused me... Will most likely be ordering thru, and install, alignment by NSOR here in Vancouver. They had highly reommended the ome package. Price seems in line w online resellers.

its the same springs, theres just conflicting data online about the amounts of lift.

Whatever you do, do not use "rocky road" website to check part numbers cause theyve got them all mixed up. They sell medium springs and say that they are heavy duty.

I suggest http://www.ruggedrocksoffroad.com for fast shipping and reliable information (as far as part numbers)

You will get more lift than 0.5" trust me.