Audio Question

Kingman

So I've been having the annoying issue of to much bass in my standard speakers, which are 2 Kenwood 6x9s rated at 250W max and 2 JBL 4x6s with an unknown rating, though they don't distort as much as the rear 6x9s do. I have a Panasonic deck that is rated at 45W per channel. I have my 12" subwoofer hooked up through the low level RCA outputs like usual, but I can't turn the bass up (past "0" with a range of -12 to 12) without the speakers distorting, thus not giving the sub very much power so it doesn't thump very hard unless the volume is all the way up and by then it's mayham. My first thought was to install high-pass capacitors in all the normal speakers to cut out the bass from them so I can turn the bass on the deck up and give my sub more juice. So I went to Audio Source today and bought 4 capacitors sized for the speakers and running a 12" subwoofer. They are properly installed on the positive feed to each speaker, but they are causing my speakers to cut out for split seconds at a time when I turn the volume up, like too little impedance to the deck would cause. It's extremely aggravating. Also, the capacitors didn't cut out very much bass and the speakers still distort like they did. Is there something I'm missing here? Any tips would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. :beer:

when you installed the deck did you bypass the factory amp. IN your model it should be tucked back there just below the deck. If you still have it I reccomend pulling it out and splicing the in&out wires and caping off the power wire.

when you installed the deck did you bypass the factory amp. IN your model it should be tucked back there just below the deck. If you still have it I reccomend pulling it out and splicing the in&out wires and caping off the power wire.

X2. Rookie mistake on one of these things. I did the same on my first stereo installation on my old truck.

A simple (first order) high pass crossover with a capacitor will only reduce the low frequencies by a small amount (-6db). You should probably try to find some cheap pre-built second order (-12db) crossovers or if you are handy with electronics you can build your own. Below is a simple diagram for a second order high pass filter.

+_______ Cap ___________Speaker +

|

Coil

|

-_______________________Speaker -

Personally I am more concerned with the sub and enclosure that you have. Using the wrong box is the biggest mistake you can make when installing a sub. What amp are you running? If you want the best sound possible you should pick up a separate 4-channel amp to power your regular speakers. It will make a world of difference and most have a crossover built in so you could save some money there to offset the cost.

It looks like the factory amp has been bypassed, but the wiring is stock. I didn't install any wiring, tohugh I need to re-wire everything.

A simple (first order) high pass crossover with a capacitor will only reduce the low frequencies by a small amount (-6db). You should probably try to find some cheap pre-built second order (-12db) crossovers or if you are handy with electronics you can build your own. Below is a simple diagram for a second order high pass filter.

+_______ Cap ___________Speaker +

|

Coil

|

-_______________________Speaker -

Personally I am more concerned with the sub and enclosure that you have. Using the wrong box is the biggest mistake you can make when installing a sub. What amp are you running? If you want the best sound possible you should pick up a separate 4-channel amp to power your regular speakers. It will make a world of difference and most have a crossover built in so you could save some money there to offset the cost.

Sony Xplod 1200W peak 12" sub. 150W peak Autotek amp, extremely well made on the inside. One channel is powering the sub. I've been researching for a while to find out which wires I can safely bridge so I don't fry the amp.

Edited by Kingman

scratchheadyellow.gif

If you want to cut the bass to the speakers you need resistors (crossover), not capacitors. Caps just store voltage.

http://en.wikipedia....Audio_crossover

:shrug:

I asked the guy what I needed to cut the bass out of my speakers because they are distorting, and that's what he said. 100V 50uF non-polarized capacitors for the 4x6s and 150V 50uF non-polarized capacitors for the 6x9s.

• 1 month later...

Well, in my own little opion i shall ask what exact type of panasonic deck are you running, and we can go from there.

Im very big into custom car audio, as i have a 99' gmc sonoma with almost 2400wats RMS which means and low-medium volumn its extremely loud.

JVC Headunit

4" JL Audio Dash speakers

6.5" TMA Audio Door speakers

Planet Audio Big Bang 4channel amp rated at 300RMS per channel

Planet Audio Big Bang 2400.1 Mono block amp rated right now at about 1600-1700 watts rms at 2 0hms

3Farad Capacitor

soon to be help by larger alternator and second battery

So if your still trying to figure out your audio question(s) just pm or whatever you want im sure i can answer