Brake Warning Light

curlybare

My 90 Pathy has a strange problem the brake warning light on the dash comes on at 1200 RPM. Actually been that way for years. At first I thought it was low on fluid or the E brake switch was the problem, not the case, that would be too easy. Anyone else seen this?

Today I put on the 90 amp alt. and the brake light goes out as it should. I did check the brake cyl rubber gasket and it was fine. I don't know why the brake light would go on as it did but the new alt. fixed it. Could have been a short inside or brushes or loose connection. But for today it is cured. Yahoo, thanks for all the help guys.

Edited by curlybare1

so if your sitting there parked and you rev the car up to 1200rpm as soon as u hit 1200rpm the light come on?

Yeah, it's strange ain't it. One thing I did do was pick up an alternator, I'll put it on this weekend. BUT, I got the 70amp one. I think I'll take it back and get the 90amp. ($132 compared to $84) I don't know if I need it, not running anything other then stock stuff. It won't damage anything will it?

Edited by curlybare1

Yeah, it's strange ain't it. One thing I did do was pick up an alternator, I'll put it on this weekend. BUT, I got the 70amp one. I think I'll take it back and get the 90amp. ($132 compared to $84) I don't know if I need it, not running anything other then stock stuff. It won't damage anything will it?

No, that is just a max rating, it won't charge at a rate higher than what you actually need (unless the regulator goes bad).