Turbo Charging My Pathy?

jmd21682

Hi, so i have been doing a little research on turbocharging my 93 3.slow..... ive found that 300zx turbo should work on my pathy.... also a garret t25 would work as well..... wondering if anyone has done any type of turbo on there pathy or knows anything about what set up would work best, how much i should realistically be looking to spend..... the pros and cons, that sorta thing..... any help would be appreciated, thanx jess

p.s. if a turbo isnt the solution what other mods can i do to get some more ponies outta of my stock pathy....

I was alway under the assumption that the turbo motor wint fit due to the narrower side walls of the pathy. I can under stand that because i have a z31 and a wd21 and there is defiantly alot less room on the inside of the pathy for that and its a tight fit even in the z. SO you would have to rig up some relocation for the turbo is under the pathy which would be bad for any offroad use becuase it would probably get full of @!*%. even if u were to have it in the stock spot it would probably get wrecked when summerged( if ever) if you dont go offroading ever and plan to just drive around on the street its do able but a pain in the ass. I have seen a video on youtube of a turbo pathfiner. with rear mounted turbo (underneth the drivers side door

yeh x2 it would have to be a downstream trubo and used only for street. Run you prolly over a grand all said and done.

I always liked the Idea of putting an eaton m90 or m62 (from SC frontier) on a pathy....

I don't think it would be worth it if you had to keep it on the street. Thats one of the main attractions to the NP, want speed buy a Camaro or something, want to blast through the mud get in the pathfinder. Really its not that slow, there's far more sluggish vehicles out there.

I hear getting some after market exhaust manifolds($400+) can get ya around 15hp not a ton but there shiny to :)

Edited by olddirtyrake

I've been thinking about this option lately. I have an older T04B turbo I think would work great on my '92 Pathfinder. I spoke to Clark Steppler at JWT, he said my stock MAF maxed out at 270 hp (no problem, I just want a little more torque and passing power), and recommended 370 cc injectors plus their turbo reflash.

The big issue will be where to put the turbo. I think I will end up retaining the driver's exhaust manifold, and making a cross-under pipe by the oil pan, then inverting the passenger exhaust manifold so the outlet faces 'up' and forward. I'll move the battery to the rear of the vehicle, relocate the PS reservoir and a few of the wiring bits, and will fit the turbo right up in the front corner of the passenger side engine compartment. An intercooler might be a tight fit, so I'll consider scrapping the A/C.

well you could find out about how the vg30et has its manifolds and work from there you might be able to just use them and modify them if thats any easier they should fit since its the same motor in all but idk how it will all work. I guess if you do end up doing it make a build thread i kinda wnt to see this. I think a super charger would be a better option though.

I'd like to see somebody try it and post pics but I think edicer2 is right about the clearance issues.

I also think that when Nissan started really taking heat from the road reviews about how slow their trucks had become compared to some of the competition there was a reason they chose to supercharge instead of turbocharge.

Good luck if you go through with it though because I'm sure I'm not the only one that's daydreamed about having a wd21 pumping out 250+ hp.

I was alway under the assumption that the turbo motor wint fit due to the narrower side walls of the pathy. I can under stand that because i have a z31 and a wd21 and there is defiantly alot less room on the inside of the pathy for that and its a tight fit even in the z. SO you would have to rig up some relocation for the turbo is under the pathy which would be bad for any offroad use becuase it would probably get full of @!*%. even if u were to have it in the stock spot it would probably get wrecked when summerged( if ever) if you dont go offroading ever and plan to just drive around on the street its do able but a pain in the ass. I have seen a video on youtube of a turbo pathfiner. with rear mounted turbo (underneth the drivers side door

There was a pic once on AC of a Japanese WD-21 the guy had crammed a dual turbo VG30 into, and it took up every inch of room under the hood.

I think the easiest route to charge our trucks up would be a 3"BL(for clearance) with a supercharged 3.3 swap.