Onboard Air Revisited

msavides

After messing with tweaking retweaking, Redesigning, and still having problems. I decided to stop being such a cheap a$$ and spend some money,

I went cheap with a lincoln Mark VII air bag compressor. It worked great for the lockers, however it would only air up one tire before thermal protection kicked in and I would have to wait 20 mins for it to cool down enough to reset.

Well I decided to spend the money on a 100% duty cycle compressor this time, Of course all my custom mounts had to be rebuilt, SIGH!.

This is what I came up with. Let the tweaking begin, Any comments or ideas to tweak are welcomed.

Thanks

Mark

f_2cwaa6rm_43631b6.jpg

Old set up with Lincoln Mark VII Compressor

f_2cwaa6tm_abfed78.jpg

New setup with Viar 100% duty cycle compressor

f_2cwaaydm_0cc02e4.jpg

f_2cwaayfm_877447c.jpg

f_2cwaaygm_b193e9b.jpg

f_2cwaayhm_2411c4d.jpg

Looks good, what size tank are you using?

Tank is the rear bumper. It works out to be about 900 cubic inches of tank (just under 5gal)

f_1000114m_2dfa041.jpg

Edited by msavides

Looks like you got it done, but I would have done a lot more with flex lines and push lock fittings. Simply cheaper, smaller, lighter, etc. Just personal preference, I priced some of that brass tonight and holy crap!!

B

Looks like you got it done, but I would have done a lot more with flex lines and push lock fittings. Simply cheaper, smaller, lighter, etc. Just personal preference, I priced some of that brass tonight and holy crap!!

B

Brass was a little pricey But It was not that bad as it is only 1/8 inch. (looks larger in the picture) If I had ordered all the parts for this compressor the first time I would have bought the 3 way T push locks. But It was a quick swap so I ran down to OSH and picked up the fittings. I think total for all the fittings I used there was like $15.

Ahh, ok, that makes more sense, I lost my scale... ;) 1/2 NPT T fitting was $15!! :blink:

100% duty cycle?? What is the CFM of that beast, or is it CIM?? :D

B

http://www.viaircorp.com/OffRoad/460C.html

.94 cfm @ 100 psi

Fill rates

5.0 Gallon Tank Fill Rate

0 To 105 PSI 4 Min. 20 Sec.

85 To 105 PSI 58 Sec.

0 To 145 PSI 6 Min. 40 Sec.

110 To 145 PSI 2 Min. 11 Sec.

Edited by msavides

Wow, nice work that looks great. Do you find yourself using it a lot or is it more of a just in case kind of thing? Do you have to run dual batteries or a higher alternator to power it?

It only uses 19 amps. so 2nd battery and higher amp alternator is not required. I have a planned dual batteries as soon as I find a Good ACR. I have a mean green 180 amp installed.

I will use it for my air lockers and for airing up after wheeling. I may be able to run a air impact from it for a limited time , Probably enough to break off 6 lug nuts. :)

Edited by msavides