Replacing Entire Headlamp Assembly On '94 Xe?

Nerfball6

Hello,

I searched through the forums (and web) but could not find an answer to this question.

The passenger side headlamp of my 1994 XE has water in it and is very dim. It looks like heavy condensation. If I understand correctly this is generally an indication of a bad gasket or crack somewhere in the assembly -- and not just a matter of replacing the bulb.

I though before ordering a whole new headlamp assembly, I'd try to pull the entire headlight assembly out so that I could inspect it and dry the water out -- but unfortunately I've gotten stuck at simply removing the grill. My Haynes manual does not cover my vehicle grill though it's supposed to. I had no problem finding and releasing the 5 clips along the top, and unscrewing the 2 screws on each marker light to release the short tabs on each top side of the grill. So the entire grill is free at the top. However something is holding it along the bottom that I am unable to see, and I am unable to lift the grill out and off the vehicle.

I'm hoping someone can tell me how to remove the grill, and if I should expect any issues removing the headlamp assembly. And also if I should maybe just plan on replacing the entire headlight assembly?

Thanks in advance!!

- Nerf

Edited by Nerfball6

IIRC, there are some vertical slots/holes with pegs at the bottom, I'll have to look again when I get home. There was no real trick to it though. Yeah, you may just need to replace the seal or socket in the back...

B

IIRC, there are some vertical slots/holes with pegs at the bottom, I'll have to look again when I get home. There was no real trick to it though. Yeah, you may just need to replace the seal or socket in the back...

B

IIRC there are vertical screws at the bottom of the grill?? I've done it so many times I should have it memorized. THe gasket is actually on the lamp itself not the headlight assembly. I took the assembly out, dried all the water out with a hair dryer and used clear silicone sealant around the edge where the glass meets the assembly. I've had to do it two times since '99, beats buying a new assembly

Thanks all!!

I had to put it back together earlier, so I'll try again tomorrow or Wed. The only screws I noticed between the grill and the bumper seemed to be connected to the headlights and not the grill. Maybe I was wrong.

Those vertical slots mentioned, are they on the bottom inside of the grill? I'm embarrassed that this seems tougher than it should be.

I was also worried about what the water has done to the reflective nature of the lens, I'm thinking it may be a good idea to change the whole thing right away regardless. I noticed one new on eBay for about $40.00including shipping. I'm also thinking it might not be a bad idea to change both bulbs right away since I'll have the grill off.

i just did this a month ago on a friends. you twist those 5 clips like u have already then take the 2 screws out of the side markers like you already have. Then like others have said there are some slots on the bottom that just slide off the screws down there. I had to tilt mine out at the top then pull up on it to get it to come out just be careful you dont snap the clips/slot part off at the bottom doing that. I cant remember if the things that the slots slide around are screws i thought they were and i loosened them up but i cant remember i though i did something like that so that it was easier to put it back on.

Side markers have 2 side screws and one under the front.

Grill has 5 top clips, and 1 screw under each headlight, undo those and pull up and out.

Be carefull on the bolts holding the headlight mount brackets (3) they can be rusty and snap off. Hit them with some PB Blaster a couple days in advance and again when you go to remove them.

Side markers have 2 side screws and one under the front.

Grill has 5 top clips, and 1 screw under each headlight, undo those and pull up and out.

Be carefull on the bolts holding the headlight mount brackets (3) they can be rusty and snap off. Hit them with some PB Blaster a couple days in advance and again when you go to remove them.

Thanks everyone for all your help. The thing that was hanging me up was the screw hidden underneath each of the side marker lights at the front. I didn't think I needed to touch those because they didn't seem to have anything to do with the grill. But that was it. after I loosened those the grill came right out.

I did find the two screw holes that people were talking about being at the bottom between the bumper and the grill - however the screws were missing. I'm guessing at some point when it was worked on in the past. That's why I didn't see them. But after getting everything fixed and put back together, the grill seems to be holding in place tightly without them.

I did put in a whole new headlight assembly that I got off of eBay. It's obviously an after market product but installed with no problems and seems to be working fine.

Thanks again!!

Edited by Nerfball6