Pre-Cat On Your Wd21

Precise1

33 members have voted

1. 1. Do/did you have a stock pre-cat?

my 95 SE had a precat. the non-precat trucks have a pipe there that is a bolt in replacement, which I did. it changed the exhaust note far more than replacing the muffler with a pipe did!

Also, a precat is not going to change your emissions test result unless you do the test on a cold start.

Also, I would like to take a guess that the trucks that have carpet fires on the driver side of the truck, are equipped with a precat, I was seeing temperatures of 800-off the scale of the pyrometer at the inlet of the precat.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

he's showing the signs, lets put him down before it gets worse!

Bring friends, it isn't going to be easy... ;)

my 95 SE had a precat. the non-precat trucks have a pipe there that is a bolt in replacement, which I did. it changed the exhaust note far more than replacing the muffler with a pipe did!

Also, a precat is not going to change your emissions test result unless you do the test on a cold start.

Also, I would like to take a guess that the trucks that have carpet fires on the driver side of the truck, are equipped with a precat, I was seeing temperatures of 800-off the scale of the pyrometer at the inlet of the precat.

Interesting correlation, but I wonder if your pre-cat was clogged??

B

Ok so I have had mine emissions tested since having the pre cat /cat removed and since I have the papers from both tests here I found that it tested better with the precat (i figured as much) than with the walker aftermarket that is on there now. As long as it passes and I get my sticker I don't' give a @!*%.

Yes, I'm inclined to agree here. My floor was burned through & I have a pre-cat. I notice that there is no heat-shield attached to the body for the pre-cat, like there is for the cat.

Edit: Now I'm losing it!! There IS a heat shield for the pre-cat, just not continuing forward enough to cover the flange!

Edited by lint

Interesting correlation, but I wonder if your pre-cat was clogged??

B

Nope, both my cats were in good condition. Light comes through on the pre-cat with no material falling out or deformed looking.

Yes, I'm inclined to agree here. My floor was burned through & I have a pre-cat. I notice that there is no heat-shield attached to the body for the pre-cat, like there is for the cat.

Edit: Now I'm losing it!! There IS a heat shield for the pre-cat, just not continuing forward enough to cover the flange!

Both my precats have heat shields and actually, most of the piping is shielded quite well also. My experience is that it is the leaking flange that lights up and burns through the floorboard.

Nope, both my cats were in good condition. Light comes through on the pre-cat with no material falling out or deformed looking.

The only other heat generator I could think of other than a leak... :shrug:

B

Precise, do you recall the model & price of that Magnaflow? It was a 2" diameter, correct?

No, not exactly, but it shouldn't be hard for me to look up so let me get back to you.

Yes, it was a 2" Magnaflow high flow cat, going larger wasn't legal in Ca, 2" was the max and probably sufficient anyway.

B

I'm almost certain that this is the one I got, Magnaflow #39760...

http://www.truckpartshub.com/product/magnaflow-39760-direct-fit-converter

I haven't found any paperwork proving it yet, but I seem to recall that part number and there are only 2 models legal in Cali, the universal and the direct fit one I listed. I think the site bought it from is on my work emails so I'll try looking tomorrow. IIRC it was about $120 to my door so the link I listed isn't a bad price...

B

The only other heat generator I could think of other than a leak... :shrug:

B

Only leaks in my exhaust is at the manifolds like 90% of the Pathys out there, and where the clamps are that are holding on the pipe that replaced my muffler. I was amazed and frightened by the temps I saw.