Rough Idle And Running Rich

Soccerstudd5

I have a 94 5 speed and have been looking into getting a CAI for it soon. I had to replace the headlight bulb on the driver side today, so while I was there I started looking at the stock air box and decided to remove the tube coming out of the front of it that just narrows and ends on top of the radiator in order to get some more air flow. Can definitely tell that it's getting more air flow, but it's now running rich, puffing black smoke, and stalling intermittently. Half the time, it will idle fine while in N, and then sometimes it just starts to act up and even died a couple times. Checked the codes and got 55- No Malfunction.

Any thoughts? Surely taking out that tube wasn't that big of a deal, how can it be any different from a CAI?

Here's some pics of what I did.

IMG_0228-1.jpg

IMG_0225.jpg

Also, thoughts on removing the resonator? Do I have to take the whole fender off to do it?

it seems that those wires in the MAF connector are a little short.

MAF sensor can work in any position (upside down, for example). So, unscrew MAF from filter box, rotate it to a more suitable position (to release tension and sharp bend from a MAF harness) and screw back. Easy fix to a very common problem, yeah?

I think there's only 3 screws holding it in though, 2 on top and 1 on the bottom, so only one position will work. At least the TBI ones are 3 screws, maybe they went to a 4 screw set up with the MPFIs. :shrug:

Good to know. But I think what happened is when I lifted the air box, I did push it out of the way without disconnecting anything... so that probably screwed up the wires a bit. Drove it to the store and home and never had an issue... considering it problem solved.... unless it starts acting up again. biggrin.gif Thanks for the help guys!

Good to know. But I think what happened is when I lifted the air box, I did push it out of the way without disconnecting anything... so that probably screwed up the wires a bit. Drove it to the store and home and never had an issue... considering it problem solved.... unless it starts acting up again. biggrin.gif Thanks for the help guys!

that was exactly what I was thinking as I read this, you unknowingly juggled the wires. Terrano92 also gives some great advice, rotate it 90 degrees to the left and you shoudl be golden.

I think there's only 3 screws holding it in though, 2 on top and 1 on the bottom, so only one position will work. At least the TBI ones are 3 screws, maybe they went to a 4 screw set up with the MPFIs. :shrug:

I suggest to rotate MAF air duct (short metal tube with 4-bolt flange, bolted to air filter box), not a sensor itself (small black plastic box at the side of this tube).

We are talking about MPFI (VG30E), of course. TBI (VG30i) design is totally different.