Calmini Kit

PATHRIDER

Nige has it, joebob is selling his, can't remember who else right now...

B

Been talking to Jeff and hopefully he can get a pic of his calmini still installed before I buy em..looking at the parts it shouldnt be that hard to install em..been soaking my pitman arms and every nuts and bolts thats holding that linkage together..well see if joebob (Jeff) gets some free time tomorrow...hes been busy with school

Look for the thread where Jims truck as found in the wecking yard and there is a pic there... might also look through Duffman's posts/topics. He has not had his Pathy for a while but iirc he posted pics of his setup.

Look for the thread where Jims truck as found in the wecking yard and there is a pic there... might also look through Duffman's posts/topics. He has not had his Pathy for a while but iirc he posted pics of his setup.

what would be his forum name?

I figured but I was REALLY hopeing you knew who "Jim" was on these forums... especially with all the "Jim" talk the past few months :D

That would be "MrJim" I think a shot of his steering exists on these forums, but I am not certain.

I figured hes the guy youre refering too but wasnt sure and cant remember his forum name..I know hes the founder...and welcome back mr. J..might be late but

i just got back to this forum myself a few weeks back. I even mistaken you for pathoffroad red..remember

thanks bud and ill look for some of his post and see if I can find a shot of his suspension. I also pm'd duffman

lol....I knew i can count on you Red..looks pretty easy to install ..That idler arm brace looks good...been soaking my linkage system for a few days now just in case joebob finds the time to get to his pathy and remove the calmini ive been wanting to buy from him..looking at my pitman arm it doesnt look like its going to give me a hard time though ( i hope) Thanks bud

.looking at my pitman arm it doesnt look like its going to give me a hard time though ( i hope)

That's what I said, I hope you have better luck than I did. Start soaking, heating, pounding and applying the puller now... ;)

B

Definitely follow B's recommendation and star now! Get that thing to break loose before you are ready to install the rest. That way, you won't have to mess with it when your swapping parts wink.gif

Having battled with a few of them, I know exactly what B is talking about thumbsup.gif

I seen the post on your pitman arm nightmare B..did oyu get em out? Ive been soaking with pb blaster for the last 2 days

Nope, I ended up drilling it out on the truck. I simply could not get it to budge no matter what I did. :shrug:

Definitely follow B's recommendation and star now! Get that thing to break loose before you are ready to install the rest. That way, you won't have to mess with it when your swapping parts wink.gif

Having battled with a few of them, I know exactly what B is talking about thumbsup.gif

Like Red said, remove it first!! It's kinda like removing the differential fill hole before you remove the drain plug... :D

B

Didn't have any issues with my Calmini swap

but I use MAPP with my PB Blaster after a heat-spray-heat (and I had the right size ratchet)HUGE since airtools didn't work well

im going to have to try to use a breaker bar on the pitman arm tool..whew....hope mine comes out without having to drill..ill keep you guys posted...but right now im working on the thermostat/sensor issue I have.

on the other hand I might not have to mess with the pitman arm..joebob emailed me earlier and it looks like the bushing on his calmini is toast...if it doesnt cost much for that bushing ill probably still buy his :laugh:set

If you have the larger type pitman arm, the nut is 41mm (1 5/8). I couldn't get it to budge with a 2" crescent wrench, my feet braced on the frame pulling 2 handed like a rower. I did dig up this slugging wrench (will post a picture later) which did the trick when liberally applying a 3lb hand sledge. I'll ship it to you for use if you ship it back and cover the cost.

Stuff1002.jpg

The real trouble was breaking the pitman arm free from the steering box output shaft spline. I believe my steering box has play so I may have to swap it out. I'm considering making a real puller. How soon do you plan to do this job??

B

be prepared to change the bushings in the idler arm too. I think bandit4x4 is the name of the place you can get replacements as calmini won't sell those a la carte. they want you to send the arm back to them with $250 to change the bushings. you might as well pay a machine shop to pack them arm with spherical bearings for that much.

If you have the larger type pitman arm, the nut is 41mm (1 5/8). I couldn't get it to budge with a 2" crescent wrench, my feet braced on the frame pulling 2 handed like a rower. I did dig up this slugging wrench (will post a picture later) which did the trick when liberally applying a 3lb hand sledge. I'll ship it to you for use if you ship it back and cover the cost.

The real trouble was breaking the pitman arm free from the steering box output shaft spline. I believe my steering box has play so I may have to swap it out. I'm considering making a real puller. How soon do you plan to do this job??

B

Thanks for the offer B..it looks like im not going to be able to get joebobs set...I might get a new set from calmini...early xmas present....hehehe

be prepared to change the bushings in the idler arm too. I think bandit4x4 is the name of the place you can get replacements as calmini won't sell those a la carte. they want you to send the arm back to them with $250 to change the bushings. you might as well pay a machine shop to pack them arm with spherical bearings for that much.

The idler arm bushing on the set I was going to buy is already toast so I might just get a new set.Calmini told me yesterday that if the bushings are worn out i have to get a new idler arm brace for $350 ... somebody oughta make those set...$700 is a lot of money for the damn kit but it looks cool

B

B you can adjust the steering box to tighten it up. I might have to do this to mine in the near future as well.

.Calmini told me yesterday that if the bushings are worn out i have to get a new idler arm brace for $350 ...

Do you want to buy any suspension set up if when the idler arm bushings are worn out, it costs you $350?!? :blink:

Seriously. You could buy/make a good brace for the stock unit for $75 and the rebuild kit is $10. I'd happily rebuild it twice a year!! (1 nut, 2 bushings and seals, doesn't affect alignment).

B

Do you want to buy any suspension set up if when the idler arm bushings are worn out, it costs you $350?!? :blink:

Seriously. You could buy/make a good brace for the stock unit for $75 and the rebuild kit is $10. I'd happily rebuild it twice a year!! (1 nut, 2 bushings and seals, doesn't affect alignment).

B

not really..lol

Hey B you wouldnt happen to know where I can get a drop bracket for the rear link rod?