Looking To Get My Tranny Fixed...

nismothunder

Ok so a few know that my tranny went south a while ago.

Now is a time for a rebuild with winter coming on and every thing.

But what should I do,rebuilt the tranny in it or get a used one to replace it.

I'm going to be taking it to a transmission shop at some point in the near future to have the tranny pulled and disassembled to see if it rebuild able or if I need to get a parts truck(already have one picked out,red 95 model)

But hears what I'm looking for,should I add a shift kit and tranny-cooler(t-cooler is fore sure)

If so what kind(for t-cooler) should I go to amsoil atf or stick with dex...I figure the amsoil would be good to use right off the bat so the tranny gets broken in on it and I can slowly wean it back to dex to save money at filter changes.

Thanks for any advice.

Rebuilds aren't cheap. If you can find a good working used transmission then I would definitely go with that. If you want to prolong the life of the new transmission , rebuilt or used, then I would stick with only high quality fluids. It might cost a little more at the change intervals but it will make it last a lot longer and save you the money of another rebuild or another transmission in the long rum.

I'd probly do a five speed swap,but I'm unable to find a decent parts truck that has a stick.

And I can tow more with the auto any way.

But I was asking is,does any one have any good luck with a signal type of tranny cooler,and is there a brand I should look out for.Like is there a cooler that has the fins placed to closly together like the stock unit.

The truck I'm looking at is a 91 model(I stated 95 before) that was the sellers first car(hes a kid) and it has 93k on it.But he said he bondoed a lot of holes on it.So the frame is probly junk.But I figure if worse comes to worse I can drive that in the winter until the t-belt breaks or the frame shakes apart and do the swap.

I would find a donor, swap out the trannys, then rebuild the one you have with the Trans-Go kit. Then you can swqap it back in and sell off the donor one (or rebuild it for a spare, but then you have to store it someplace....)

There is a JDM importer up here in the northwest that sells low mileage transmissions for ~$650 last time I checked. If you are going to go with a used one, it might as well be a gently used on from Japan. Those folks don't beat up there cars as much as we do, and the speed limits are lower :) so less wear on the transmissions!

I was able to find one at a junkyard from a pathy that has 108k on it for $55..hope it works..were installing it today and keep you guys posted

whats the transmission model number on wd21 guys? We pulled a transmission off of a 95 and its going on a 94..would it be RE4R01A ?

Edited by PATHRIDER