Fluctuating speedometer

k9sar

Just started today. AS I pulled away from a stop sign, making slow accelleration, my speedometer was rapidly jumping between 0 and 40mph or so when I was doing much less. I thought I read about this before but damned if I can find it in the new format. Anyone?

Yep. Remove the entire cluster (not hard at all) and check the connections/tighten the brass screws in the back (ground points) and reinstall. Does it work now??

The next step is checking/replacing the voltage regulator IIRC. I'll have to search for that thread...

B

The next step is checking/replacing the voltage regulator IIRC.

95 electronic speedometer powered directly from 12V. If it has internal voltage regilator, this thing buried somewhere on speedometer PCB.

BTW, each gauge (temp, fuel) on 95 "round" dashboard has its own internal VR, not an external one. Me think, the last dashboard with external common VR was made before August 1992 (i.e. before 93 model year).

The next step is vehicle speed sensor and harness...

Edited by Terrano1992

I'm currently replacing my vehicle speed sensor.

Cluster demons in these is a nightmare it seems like. Beginning problems could be to test the grounds in the back and check the fuse. Make sure the brass screws aren't loose. Then if that doesn't work put in a cluster you know works.

If that doesn't work then it could be the sensor acting all screwy.

• 3 weeks later...

the speedo on my 94 le has been giving me trouble to but it only bounces up to about 20 mph on the freeway i changed the cluster to no avail and the sensor but both parts were used condition unknown.

I've been watching this, waiting for a hard failure so I can diagnose it. Interestingly, when it 'fails', the speedometer seems to read half of what it should. I wonder if the speed sensor has dual pickup points inside it and one is failing. dunno. I doubt the cops will accept the "I was only doing 45, according to my speedometer" excuse.

Yours is an automagic I believe. Too bad, I drove my manual without a speedo for years, just watching the tach and being sensible. I don't think I want to try it in the automagic though... :shrug:

Get one from a part out...

B