Toyota's speedy floormats of destruction

Tungsten

By Soyoung Kim and John Crawley

TOKYO/DETROIT, Sept 30 (Reuters) - Toyota Motor Corp (7203.T) said on Tuesday it will recall some 3.8 million vehicles in the United States because of the risk that a loose floormat could force down the accelerator, a problem suspected of causing crashes that have killed five people.

Read on... http://www.reuters.com/article/rbssConsume...lBrandChannel=0

Shut up kingman, don't be a punk about other's deaths.

According to this article, they should recall all cars because going highway speeds has caused countless fatalities!!! Oh Noes!!!

The last 3 trucks I have driven had loose floormats that (when kicked forward) would eventually interfere with either the gas, brake or clutch. The solution was to adjust it once or twice a month, or do a quick grab and tug mid drive. If you can not handle this, you probably have no right to drive...

B

:lol: Settle down B...

There's many new vehicles out there of different makes that have loose set floor mats, not just Toyota. I agree, if you can't simply adjust a floor mat before you get in and drive, then you shouldn't have the right to even be near that vehicle in the first place.

i like how our mats have a hook in them! but my heavy duty mats i have over them never move. couldnt ppl just Velcro the back part of their mat to fix the problem? seriously how dumb can you be to let the mat get up there like that. i have never even had that problem before and all of my mats are loose and not secured they dont move at all

Sweet, killing the dumbasses who buy Toyotas! Too bad they caught on...shucky darn.

EDIT: Spelling.

:stickwack:

There used to be a really cool thing about this site... people didn't constantly bash other groups just because they drive something different.

*sigh* Might as well make it a Jeep Association now...

page 2 mentions the san diego crash where the 2009 lexus, driven by an off duty CHP officer with his family, hit 120 mph before hitting a dead end and crashed into a ditch killing everyone. That was right by my house.

They had enough time to call 911 while going 120, wouldn't you think someone like a CHP officer should have been able to a) engage brakes of some sort, pedal or e-brake B) dislodge the gas pedal c ) shut off engine

?????

They had enough time to call 911 while going 120, wouldn't you think someone like a CHP officer should have been able to a) engage brakes of some sort, pedal or e-brake B) dislodge the gas pedal c ) shut off engine

?????

That's exactly what I thought when I heard about this. On a similar note there is a complete thread going on in the 370z forum I subscribe to started by a girl who keeps getting her flip flop caught under the new Z gas pedal :wacko:

Just another reason why this is my favorite forum. You guys keep it real. Although some of you probably wish I'd stay in my other forums more and out of here less with my Pathy I'm still afraid to really take off-roading because I don't want to scratch and dent it up.

It was the drivers fault. he could have done something about it and saved his family. Could have shifted the damn car into neautral and slowed it to a stop before reaching excess speeds of 120 mph. Now, toyota is gonna face major future lawsuits and everybody that did have some kind of acccident wtiht here toyota of those years that are "affected" will blame the accident on the floormats and all hell will let loose.

It was the drivers fault. he could have done something about it and saved his family. Could have shifted the damn car into neautral and slowed it to a stop before reaching excess speeds of 120 mph. Now, toyota is gonna face major future lawsuits and everybody that did have some kind of acccident wtiht here toyota of those years that are "affected" will blame the accident on the floormats and all hell will let loose.

Were you there ? Could it be possible the floormats fouled up the pedals enough that he couldn't shift ? Could it be he was not familiar with the car ?

"Back seat passenger Lastrella called for help seconds before the crash and told a dispatcher the car was traveling at 120 mph and that the accelerator was stuck and the car had no brakes.

The car hit the back of a Ford Explorer before going over a curb where it struck an embankment and went airborne before rolling several times and then bursting into flames.

The car was a loaner from Bob Baker Lexus El Cajon where Saylor had earlier dropped his vehicle off for service.

Investigators do not know if Saylor tried to shut the car off — which may have been hampered by the electronic key which must be held for three seconds to shut the car off — or shift it into neutral. "

Get your facts straight before lobbing grenades at dead people. :stickwack:

Incidentally, I think the problem's more serious than just a floormat. I replaced the factory carpet floormats with factory rubber floormats, as I do on all my vehicles. The new floormats are actually a bit SHORTER in my Tacoma. But try driving the truck with dress shoes on. The geometry of the pedals is such that you will often literally get feet tangled and/or stuck. That's when I have a 10-11 (depending on the manufacturer). I expect it would be much more difficult for people with larger feet. I only drive it now with sandals or sneakers. I think it may be the floor and dash geometry. Now THAT would suck.

Were you there ? Could it be possible the floormats fouled up the pedals enough that he couldn't shift ? Could it be he was not familiar with the car ?

"Back seat passenger Lastrella called for help seconds before the crash and told a dispatcher the car was traveling at 120 mph and that the accelerator was stuck and the car had no brakes.

The car hit the back of a Ford Explorer before going over a curb where it struck an embankment and went airborne before rolling several times and then bursting into flames.

The car was a loaner from Bob Baker Lexus El Cajon where Saylor had earlier dropped his vehicle off for service.

Investigators do not know if Saylor tried to shut the car off — which may have been hampered by the electronic key which must be held for three seconds to shut the car off — or shift it into neutral. "

Get your facts straight before lobbing grenades at dead people. :stickwack:

Incidentally, I think the problem's more serious than just a floormat. I replaced the factory carpet floormats with factory rubber floormats, as I do on all my vehicles. The new floormats are actually a bit SHORTER in my Tacoma. But try driving the truck with dress shoes on. The geometry of the pedals is such that you will often literally get feet tangled and/or stuck. That's when I have a 10-11 (depending on the manufacturer). I expect it would be much more difficult for people with larger feet. I only drive it now with sandals or sneakers. I think it may be the floor and dash geometry. Now THAT would suck.

If the floormat was truly the reason why the accelerator was to the floor and not because of Electronics gimmicks, then that does not prevent u from shifting into neutral. Again, something could have been done before the car reached excess speeds of over 120 mph. The ES350 isnt a sports car. IT doesnt just hammer up to 120 that fast that u cant react fast enough to do something.

I actually read that an off brand matt was in there on top of the Toyota matt, anyone else see that?

Either way, I have to say: my life -or- making the car do uncomfortable things = screw you car.

I can't figure why it would not have been put in neutral, I realize that newer cars get to those speeds quickly, and that a car you are not familiar with, but all of us must use common sense logic to look at the mirrors, know that layout of the car, maybe even give it a "walk around" before you jump in and pull off with a load of friends or family, ya know?

Idiots are the reason that cars of today are idiot friendly. Dropping into Neutral seems like a great way to stop it from going and new cars have rev limiters so engine damage is not a problem. However when you are in a state of shock like that, you can't think unless you are trained to think in sticky situations.

[old] i bought a brand new toyota and have gotten the "we will replace your floormats b/c they're dangerous" snail mails for a long fskcing time...my buddy called me up the other day all excited and i was like uhhhhhhhh dude i got the memo like 50 times already....I drive 125 (the fastest it will let me go...fskcers) at least twice a week...i'm not worried about a floormat...if it gets stuck i'll handle it...

Edited by unccpathfinder