Wich FSM should I follow ?

maikan

Hi everyone

I was reading the FSM the other day as I want change my front diff's oil.

On my vin number I have the X that mean that I have a 1999 model. But where I began to be confused is some page later

there is a drawing of a pathy and it is not a drawing of mine, but the later model R50.

So I checked the FSM for the 98 model. The drawing is the good one (1996-1999 I think)

The problem is that the oil capacity in both front diff is different.

1999 front diff = 1.85L

1998 front diff = 2.05L

Is there a half year in 99 ?

I think from what I saw in the diff oil change section that I can check the level with my finger. So no big deal.

But if there is a difference in this case, maybe theres a difference in other case. :shrug:

Is there somebody who can tell me wich FSM to follow ?

yes, there's a 99 pathfinder and a 99.5 pathfinder

Don't worry about following the capacity in the FSM, as GrimGreg said, fill it to the bottom of the fill hole. Once fluid starts pouring back out at you you know you're at the right level. Same goes for both diff's and for a manual transmission.

Thanks for your response everyone

I will follow your advice for both diff and let it run out of the filler plug.

But for the auto tranny and or something else, having a 1999.0 do I follow FSM for 1998 or 1999 ?

People who have the 1999.5 are they folowing 1999 or 2000.

I know it is not a big deal since the 2 truck are quite the same, but for peace of mind I would

love to know wich one to follow blindly and not made bad choices :crossedwires:

Follow the 99 and below for your truck. 99.5 and 2000 are slightly different (a little more than just body changes) and the 2001-2004 are pretty much the same(VQ engine equipped) throughout.

Thanks for your response everyone

I will follow your advice for both diff and let it run out of the filler plug.

But for the auto tranny and or something else, having a 1999.0 do I follow FSM for 1998 or 1999 ?

People who have the 1999.5 are they folowing 1999 or 2000.

I know it is not a big deal since the 2 truck are quite the same, but for peace of mind I would

love to know wich one to follow blindly and not made bad choices :crossedwires:

It can get complicated.

Auto tranny fill till proper level on dipstick, ignore fluid capacity completely, becuase that includes torque converter fill as well. It will tell you capacity is something like 8L of fluid, but a drain and fill will only get out about 4L..

Basically, if your vehicle is a 1999 model (ie: metal/chrome bumper and glass headlights) use the 1998 FSM. If yours is a 1999.5 (ie: complete plastic bumper cover and plastic headlights) use the 2000 FSM.