Car Audio Issue

Steve_RI

First my setup:

I have an aftermarket deck with an amplifier that is powering two door speakers. I ran new speaker wire, so I am not using the stock amps or anything. It’s a pretty simple setup.

Well, the deck has started working intermittently. There is still power to the deck because the background lights are still working, but it shuts on and off at random. The power to my amp also cuts out when this happens. Is there any an obvious spot to start without ripping everything apart and checking connections? Could it be the deck itself?

First you need to ask yourself, how secure did you make the electrical connections? Did you splice and twist the power wires together, crimp them or solder them?

Secondly I would check the earth bonding lead, but if both units are playing up, you surely have a faulty power supply to them, one in common I presume.

check the black red and the yellow wires. The reason the amp is turning off is because it gets its signal from the deck (blue or blue and white wire) which tells it to turn on so if your deck is turning off then so will the amp. So check those wires also make sure your speaker wires areing shorting out that can cause the deck to go into protect mode so it short it self or frie it. make sure all the connections are tight on the speaker wires like the ones from the amp to the speakers them selves. Also are you using the rca out from the deck to the amp? Mainly check your 3 main connections i think those will be the sorce!

I crimped all the connections, and the connections at the amp look solid. I need to pull the deck and check there. I didn't even think of the speaker wires....

I did use RCA out to the amp.

ok make sure the speaker wires are hooked up right + to + and - to - (yes it can matter) and connected tight. Like i siad check the main 3 wires yellow red and black first though behind the deck i can almost garentee its them

Resolution...this ended up being the deck, a cheap Insignia deck. Just as well, because the radio reception in this thing sucked from day one. I ended up grapping a basic Pioneer deck as a replacement. I have never had any issues with Pioneer. Thanks for the help.

I was about to say I have an older kenwood, and I'v found that my faceplate sometimes unseats itself. Also my truck is far from being waterproof, and after it rains and then gets sunny, water vapor will find it's way into my deck.

I'v pretty much given up on it, as it no longer even provides power to the drivers side speakers. If it doesn't want to work, well I just view it as a chance to make sure my pathy isn't making any funny noises :lol: