Loss of MPG, no loss of power

Kittamaru

Well, I just filled up the old girl today - 17 mpg... down from my usual 19-20. No real change in driving habits, though slightly more in-town than highway driving. Same ole fuel I always use.

This is the 3rd fill up in a row like that, figured the first and second times could have been flukes, but 3 in a row?

What would result in a loss of MPG but no loss in power, and a slight fuel smell? I'm guessing running rich? If so, how would I go about fixing that? Plugs/wires/cap/rotor et all are all new and in spec (done less than 5k miles ago, double checked last week and all seemed good)

Idle is good, acceleration and power seem good, holds highway speeds with ease. I did clean and re-oil my K&N Air Filter, but I played with the MAF a bit and it didn't seem to do anything - haven't tried disconnecting it or anything though.

I also have to do my brakes soon (they squeak when I use em, probably time to replace the pads)

well, run your codes. o2 or leaky injector or line are my guesses right now. or maybe you overoiled the filter? <- if that's possible.. i don't have one of those.

Definitely possible.

No CEL, but I'll check codes tomorrow before work (assuming I get the chance)

PCV valve was done not more than a year ago, O2 sensor is possible, but wouldn't that give a loss of power?

I used seafoam in the tank, and that's, coincidentally, when all this started, lol.

Doubt I overoiled the filter, as I followed the instructions to the letter, and even dabbed the filter a little just to be sure - nothing transferred when I dabbed it :)

Fuel line seeping somewhere possibly? Where is the smell the strongest?

Smell is strong in two places:

Drivers side front wheel well (wtf?) and near exhaust, which is why I was thinking running rich.

• 2 weeks later...

You probably have a leak in your fuel lines. I had a similar problem, not with the MPG, but with the fuel smell. It can smell like its coming from anywere when you are driving. I found my leak on the rubber lines near the fuel filter.

No leaks that I can find, though I only looked at where I can see. I haven't had a chance to check codes yet (been busy with work and school... term papers suck)

The codes won't tell you squat if your check engine light hasn't come on. In regard to the possible fuel leak, go to Harbor freight and get a fuel pressure gauge. They run about $20 bucks and will tell you if you have a fuel pressure problem.

I do know a part of my problem:

My right front tire is heavily out of alignment. It's wearing about 400% faster on the inside than the out - truck goes in tuesday for alignment + toe in adjustment + rotation. They're going to check to see if the tire is salvageable (it's also cupping and something else related to it hopping on the road) and if not they'll rotate in the full size spare.

That should help a bit.

New symptom - a burning/burnt odor when I idle. I'm guessing from the exhaust.

I do know a part of my problem:

My right front tire is heavily out of alignment. It's wearing about 400% faster on the inside than the out - truck goes in tuesday for alignment + toe in adjustment + rotation. They're going to check to see if the tire is salvageable (it's also cupping and something else related to it hopping on the road) and if not they'll rotate in the full size spare.

That should help a bit.

New symptom - a burning/burnt odor when I hdle. I'm guessing from the exhaust.

I had this problem before. Make sure your LCA bushings are not toilet paper.