I may have done something stupid.

ticker

I have personally seen 2 transmissions completely FAIL shortly after putting GL-5 fluid in them. 1 in a pathfinder, 1 in a 350z

One of those people took the shop that put the gl-5 fluid in their transmission to court and won a settlement. They had 3 samples of fluid sent to a lab for testing, and he shared the results with me.

1 test was brand new never used gl-4 fluid

1 test was brand new never used gl-5 fluid

1 test was the fluid from his transmission.

There was a huge difference in the additives between the gl4 and 5, specifically with the additives that control friction (from what I remember from reading the report)

bottom line, don't use gl-5 fluid in your transmission. Although you might get lucky, and use a brand that is soft metal safe, you could just as easially not.

Happened with an Xterra as well, and the owner got a partial settlement. You might know of that one as well Mike. :shrug:

Mobil 1® Synthetic Gear Lube LS 75W-90

"LS" suffix means "Limited Slip" additive. I think this oil is supposed for use in limited slip differentials, not in manual gearboxes.

Another Mobil1 example: Mobilube SHC (synthetic 75W-90 for all GL-4 and GL-5 applications) and Mobilube SHC LS (synthetic with "Limited Slip" additive, 75W-90 GL-5, for limited slip diffs).

You can't find any between; Car Quest, NAPA, Auto Zone, .... We have like 10 different automotive chains in town, lol.

Haven't found it yet. Just went to 3 stores, 2 advanced and one Auto Zone. Each had exactly the same products although one had no 75w-90 at all. The others had Valvoline which is a GL-5 oil, and they both had Coastal which is compatible with GL-3,Gl-4,GL-5 which freaks me out as most things that are intended for broad apllications do none particularly well. One interesting note. Advanced was selling the Royal Purple 75w-90 for $19.99 while two blocks away Auto Zone was selling it for $14.99! What a rip off.

Strange that it seems like there are an awful lot of vehicle s that require a fluid that is so hard to find. I'm going to call a few other places and see if I can't track some down. (

So after 2 Advanced Auto's and Auto Zone I went to NAPA, Car Quest, PepBoys, O'reilly, another NAPA, Wal-Mart, and a Nissan Dealer. I found 1 product that was API GL-4 made by sta-lube from the NAPA which is so close to my house I could walk there. The only thing was it is 85w-90 not 75w-90. This is what I'm going with. Most every one I spoke to at the autoparts stores said that GL-5 supersedes GL-4 which from everything I have learned is not correct. This seems like a pretty messed up situation for someone wanting to put the correct oil in their ride.

Thanks for all the advice and help. :beer:

BTW the Nissan dealer uses a GL-5 Castrol Syntec at $17.99 a quart, no thanks my ass already hurts from driving to 10 different stores.

The only thing was it is 85w-90 not 75w-90

Now that you mention it, I'm pretty sure that is what I wound up using also as it was all that I could find...

A little stiff shifting in first and second when it was cold, but 5 minutes/1 mile and no issue.

Most every one I spoke to at the autoparts stores said that GL-5 supersedes GL-4 which from everything I have learned is not correct.

Yep. Everyone I talked to insisted that GL-5 was what I needed!! I finally asked one guy if that is what he ran in his pathfinder manual transmission. "I don't have a pathfinder" was the reply so I told him to quit wasting me time...

$17.99 a quart, no thanks my ass already hurts

LOL

B

Happened with an Xterra as well, and the owner got a partial settlement. You might know of that one as well Mike. :shrug:

It was an xterra then, not a pathfinder my mistake... yes, I know about that, but I wasn't involved with it... it was done somewhere else.

Edited by morpheus

It was an xterra then, not a pathfinder my mistake... yes, I know about that, but I wasn't involved with it... it was done somewhere else.

Oh, I know you weren't involved, buddy. :beer:

Just a bad situation, that one. It got real ugly in a couple of places.

So its been a few days since I put the Sta-Lube 85w-90 GL-4 in the transfer case. (Manual calls for the impossible to find 75w-90 GL-4) As I was forewarned when cold shifting into 1st and 2nd is a bit stiff. I not really thrilled with. I also heard a bit of a wine for the 1st half mile or so this morning. It was cold(relatively) lat night, about 50 F and I'm concerned what is going to happen when it gets to be 10 F outside. I found out that JEG'S, which is right down the road sells REDLINE MT-90 which I've heard good things about. Anyone running this in their R50?