I have offically lost my mind (STEREO)

shadylurker

Problem: Stereo comes on but no sound at all comes out

Ok, replaced an old pioneer head unit with a new pioneer head unit, re spliced into the old aftermarket harness adapter, im 99% positive my wires are 100% correct. I even got a multi meter out and ohm tested the speakers from the new head unit harness they all read 3 ohms, I was so confident i did it right i went and replaced the head unit with another new one....Same problem :( i fiddled with settings. now i am out of ideas. Bestow your knowledge upon me NPORA i am almost thinking i should go get another new one again. :coffee!:

Try bypassing the factory amp (if you have one) and the harness. Kind of a PITA, unless you have some spare speakers laying around, but I'd bet the harness is messed up or unhooked somewhere - possibly inside one of the connectors. Since you say you can read impedance at the head unit connector ( I assume the speaker side) try the head unit side.

Also, some newer head units refuse to work if there's even one speaker lead loose. Some will come on, but not put out sound if the antenna ground isn't right, or if some other ground is iffy. I once had an Alpine that would do that unless the power antenna wire was hooked up to the key-switched 12V line.

Ok, I've seen this a few times. What I usually find is that one of the two power supplies (switched or unswitched) is not "open". You get the radio to power up but it reads incorrect voltage at one source or the other and goes into safe mode.

Check to make sure you have power at both wires before you move on to anything else...

:scratchhead:

You need to connect the lead that supplies a +12 when the unit is on to TWO wires on the factory harness. The factory amp turn on lead is LG/R on the factory harness. Then it should work like a champ!

Edited by MrT

• 2 weeks later...